Author Topic: Taj Gibson possibly available? What about this summer?  (Read 4759 times)

Taj Gibson possibly available? What about this summer?
« on: January 31, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
According to this article:

And while Hinrich and Mike Dunleavy have been churning in the trade rumor mill for more than a month, Taj Gibson’s name is the one that is picking up, and could determine how serious the Bulls are in clearing space for a max contract to land the likes of a Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James.

According to a source, the Lakers, Wizards and Bobcats have each inquired about Gibson, but they were preliminary talks in which the Bulls did not like the return.

The implication is that those teams are capable of giving the Bulls what they want, since Chicago didn't outright say no.

So, let me spin a hypothetical scenario for you.  It is July.  The Bulls have a tentative deal with one of those big free agents, but need to clear cap space.  The only practical way for them to do so is to amnesty Boozer and do a salary dump of Gibson.

Taj Gibson fits within the trade exception from the Nets trade.  Would you facilitate Carmelo or Lebron to the Bulls by trading a future first-round pick (probably lottery-protected) for Gibson?  Would you consider a three-team deal where Gibson goes to the Rockets, Asik goes to the Celtics, and the other teams send the maximum cash allowed to Boston under the CBA to alleviate the pain of Asik's larger final-year salary?

For those who are wondering how a trade exception can be used, this is how.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Taj Gibson possibly available? What about this summer?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 05:07:25 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I like Taj Gibson the player.

Less sure about Taj's contract. Three years beyond this one, $25 mil.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 05:15:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
But, that's a great scenario to illustrate the power of the Trade Exception, LC.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 05:47:03 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Why?

We have Sully who puts up the same, and a little better numbers, is younger and a lot cheaper...

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
We need stars, not Taj Gibson.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
We need stars, not Taj Gibson.

Yeah..... I agree

We need top 5 draft picks  ..  Star hopefuls  plus.....add

And a star or three  to go with them....

And then fill in spots with the best player at best price. ...the Bass , Gibsons , Greens when they are older and cheaper as pure role players in their 30's.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 06:22:56 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Why?

We have Sully who puts up the same, and a little better numbers, is younger and a lot cheaper...

Gibson is rim-protecting big man.  They might not have ideal height, but it may be possible to start them together.  In the long run, you could end up trading one of them as part of a package for a true star.

Taj Gibson is a desirable big man on a non-ridiculous contract.  If you're thinking long-term, would it better to turn something like the Clippers or Philly pick into Taj Gibson or would that pick be the better trade asset so it would be better to just let the trade exception expire than do a deal like that?

"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 06:29:18 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I have no problem with facilitating a trade where Chicago lands Carmelo Anthony or some other free agent so long as there is enough incentive for Boston. Even if it makes Chicago a title-contender. I don't think Boston is in a place yet where they should be worried about things like that. They should only be concerned with whether or not it helps them.

With Taj Gibson, his contract is pretty difficult. Fair chance Boston could move in a subsequent trade so not a deal breaker. Difficult but not a deal breaker. Still it would probably take a pair of late firsts or a single asset of greater value (Mirotic?). 

Then start Gibson (PF) next year alongside Sully (C) and let him pad his numbers. Then find a new home for him later in the season or next off-season because his contract is too high for a role player on a team that is the early stages of a rebuilding process.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 06:31:47 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Why?

Gibson is rim-protecting big man.  They might not have ideal height, but it may be possible to start them together.  In the long run, you could end up trading one of them as part of a package for a true star.

Taj Gibson is a desirable big man on a non-ridiculous contract.  If you're thinking long-term, would it better to turn something like the Clippers or Philly pick into Taj Gibson or would that pick be the better trade asset so it would be better to just let the trade exception expire than do a deal like that?

I don't think Gibson and sullinger would be a viable starting frontline if the celtics want to make a push for the playoffs next year. They are too small combined.

The sooner sullinger can be played full time as a powerforward the better. If he is the PF of the future he needs to develop those 4 skills, and more importantly the speed required of that position.

Gibson is a nice player, but i want to minimize the number of role players making above the MLE on this team when they are still in search of their core building blocks.

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 12:31:46 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I like Gibson, I would rather have Sanders if that's the kind of player you're targeting.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 08:03:19 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
According to this article:

And while Hinrich and Mike Dunleavy have been churning in the trade rumor mill for more than a month, Taj Gibson’s name is the one that is picking up, and could determine how serious the Bulls are in clearing space for a max contract to land the likes of a Carmelo Anthony or LeBron James.

According to a source, the Lakers, Wizards and Bobcats have each inquired about Gibson, but they were preliminary talks in which the Bulls did not like the return.

The implication is that those teams are capable of giving the Bulls what they want, since Chicago didn't outright say no.

So, let me spin a hypothetical scenario for you.  It is July.  The Bulls have a tentative deal with one of those big free agents, but need to clear cap space.  The only practical way for them to do so is to amnesty Boozer and do a salary dump of Gibson.

Taj Gibson fits within the trade exception from the Nets trade.  Would you facilitate Carmelo or Lebron to the Bulls by trading a future first-round pick (probably lottery-protected) for Gibson?  Would you consider a three-team deal where Gibson goes to the Rockets, Asik goes to the Celtics, and the other teams send the maximum cash allowed to Boston under the CBA to alleviate the pain of Asik's larger final-year salary?

For those who are wondering how a trade exception can be used, this is how.

I choose option B.

I like Gibson, but I like Sully and his contract more.

If we can get turn a first round pick into Asik or something or someone of higher value by helping the Bulls clear some salary, I'm all for it.

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No.

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 09:15:02 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
We don't need another undersized tweenerish forward who is at best a 7th or 8th man on a mid level playoff team.

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 09:33:48 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Why?

But why not go after a guy like Sanders, who's a couple inch's taller, a slightly better shot blocker, and yes possible knuckle head, but he plays for the Bucks. I'd like to see him in a better environment.

That's what we should be looking to use the trade exception on. You could bundle the TE and player X for Sanders and an other player, like a Mayo or Bulter, which would then make moving AB or Green easier for the rest of the season.

We get owned by teams that have a good scoring big. Rim protection is really only against the wing players driving in.

If we are going to keep the line undersized why not just keep Bass and or Humps, who produce similar numbers, and are already hear, and use the TE for a better wing player?