Author Topic: Super Bowl XLVIII  (Read 13745 times)

Re: Super Bowl XLVIII
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 06:36:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Do I want the PED-thugs to win, or do I want to see Peyton get his second ring?

Honestly, I don't particularly like either team, but I think I'd rather see the Seahawks win if only because Seattle is a great city and they deserve a title.

PED thugs? Lol

Wowzers

yeah.  comments like that give Richard Sherman credibility.

Meh. I think the Seahawks have cultivated the "thug / goon / bruiser" image for themselves and used it to get motivated.  Clearly it worked for them last night.  They stomped all over the Broncos.

Defense doesn't always win championships, but it definitely did last night.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
peyton was horrible, i don't care what the final stats were, most of that came in garbage time. when the game was close he was awful, and looked visibly frightened and rattled.
tom brady faced an even tougher pass rush in 07 against the giants, and while he didn't have a good game, he never gave away easy panic interceptions like manning did today. and we've seen this from manning before in the playoffs, back against the pats/jets/chargers/saints/etc... but he just looked to terrified today, honestly, this game lowered my opinion of manning.
the seahawks were clearly the better team (which i thought going in, the broncos were paper tigers in a weak AFC) , but manning responded very poorly to adversity.
i've never seen an elite player look so frightened before. i cut him some slack in the past because he's rarely had great defenses supporting him, but that look he had on his face today i think is going to stick in my memory for a long time.

He made one bad play (the first interception).  Other than that, I think the look you saw on his face was disgust, not panic.  His offensive line stunk, his receivers largely sucked, their secondary was non-existent, and special teams was terrible (both on returns and coverage).

The only guys on Denver's side of the field that looked at all Super Bowl worthy were Manning and the interior D-line.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
tom brady faced an even tougher pass rush in 07

I think this Seattle Defense had one of the finest performances I have ever seen in football.    It made for a boring game unless you were a Seahawk fan. 

« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 04:08:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I loved it. The Seahawks are the closest thing I have to an NFL team, so I had a good time.

Also, There's something hilarious about Eli being so much better in the Superbowl than Peyton.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 04:39:24 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1616
  • What a Pub Should Be
Broncos ran into an absolute buzzsaw last night.  Seahawks defense played just about as well as you can play a defensive game.  Just dominating at times.  The funny thing is that they only blitzed like 6 times on 50 or so Manning dropbacks.  Thats amazing given their peformance.  Really shows just how good their cover guys are and the pressure the D-line was getting.  Corners were disrupting routes right at the line of scrimmage.  Knock off the timing and Manning is in big trouble. 

Manning was mediocre, at best.  It's not necessarily a stat I like but his QBR was the lowest for a quarterback in a Super Bowl since the immortal Rex Grossman.  I'm not sure anyone would've won that game against that defense last night but Manning certainly didn't do himself any favors. Some questionable decision making.  First INT was all on him while the 2nd one was pretty fluky.

Tom E. Curran might've said it best in his piece this morning; 

That was the fervent hope of Manning’s True Believers -- that the “one of” would be removed and Manning would be simply -- in their estimation, “the greatest quarterback.”

The “one of” sticks. Manning is right where he should be -- up there with Montana, Unitas, Elway, Marino and Brady. But he does not stand alone.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Broncos totally would've won that game if Tebow had been under the center.

Also those T-Mobile ads were really clever.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2014, 05:13:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
The Broncos' attempts to tackle were nothing short of hilarious.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
What are peoples thoughts of the Seahawks repeating for next season?

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2014, 10:35:43 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Depends on what happens to their receiving core.

« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458

Don't see it happening.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 10:43:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Don't see it happening.

the nfl seems like the one sport where its nearly impossible to repeat. Not sure if the coaches scout the crap out of the champs or something but it doesn't happen too often

The hawks though imo look dangerous going into next year still. They have a young team, very together, intense, fast , great defense.

Another very good looking young team is the 49rs who gave the hawks all they can handle

Not sure what to think about the Patriots though

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
The Patriots will most likely be worse than the Seahawks.

The 49ers and the Seahawks both have the luxury of having great quarterbacks signed for chump change, which gives them a massive amount of financial space to work with.