Author Topic: Would you do this trade with Cleveland?  (Read 7175 times)

Would you do this trade with Cleveland?
« on: January 31, 2014, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Cleveland wants to win so they offer

2014 Cleveland 1st (unprotected), 2015 Miami 1st, 2015 Grizzlies 1st, Earl Clark, Alonzo Gee, CJ Miles

for

Bradley, Green, Sullinger

Do you make that trade hoping the Cavs miss the playoffs and get lucky in the lottery this year and that one of the 2015 picks might at some point become a gold mine (they both have protections)? 

If Boston kept Sullinger does it change your opinion?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Would you do this trade with Cleveland?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Probably not.  Rondo is a FA soon and I don't know why he would resign in Boston if we keep shipping out all of our decent supporting cast for future draft picks.  I see no reason why he'd want to stay.  Might as well ship him out in the deal too.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:54:56 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868

2014 Cleveland 1st (unprotected), 2015 Miami 1st, 2015 Grizzlies 1st, Earl Clark, Alonzo Gee, CJ Miles

for

Do you make that trade hoping the Cavs miss the playoffs and get lucky in the lottery this year and that one of the 2015 picks might at some point become a gold mine (they both have protections)? 

If Danny Ainge asked my opinion about this trade, I would say no.  Draft picks do have value of course but I think there is a diminishing effect.  If you have no first round picks than trading for one is great.  If you already have 2 first round picks, trading for a 3rd or 4th has far less incremental value in my opinion.

Trading 3 good players for draft picks we don't really need does not seem like a good deal for us.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 09:14:03 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

for

If you could keep Sullinger and still get the Cleveland pick it would be interesting, because you could probably turn around and trade Bass or Hump and the Nets pick for Asik or maybe Monroe. That would give us Rondo/Sully/(Asik or Monroe) with 2 good draft picks, all those future picks and probably some decent cap space.

If you sent them Bradley, Green and Sully and they already had Irving, Deng and Varajao then they'd be good enough that the draft pick wouldn't be worth it.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:18:58 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
  If you sent them Bradley, Green and Sully and they already had Irving, Deng and Varajao then they'd be good enough that the draft pick wouldn't be worth it.

They still have Mike Brown coaching, so maybe it would be.  :P

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I wouldn't send Bradley/Sullinger/Green out in a trade that didn't land a sure lottery pick.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:37:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
When you break it down...

Bradley for 2015 Miami #1 is fair enough, if we intend to let him walk.

Green for 2015 Grizzlies #1, plus cap relief, is decent value

Sully for 2014 Cleveland #1...  That's the sticking point, I think.  If Cleveland makes the playoffs, this pick is 15th or lower, and that's just not great value.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 09:42:37 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Not sure where the idea of stripping this franchise bare is gaining traction. Ainge won't do that, and he shouldn't.

He's going to identify a few assets to build around, including probably Rondo, although no objective person - emphasis on objective required on this blog - can be encouraged by what they've seen thus far.

It makes absolutely NO sense to strip the franchise bare for alleged assets that may or may not prove to be worth anything. Move Green? Sure, for the right return. Move Bradley? Absolutely. NO interest whatsoever in paying him anything close to $10 million a year. Sullinger? Nope. Looks like a future building block to me.

Move all of them for variable value assets? Absolutely not.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 09:46:53 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

I don't believe in making trades for picks based on hoping to get lucky in the lottery.  If you're going to make the trade, make it with the assumption that if the Cavs miss the playoffs, their pick won't move up in the lottery.  (I would not make the trade.)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 10:06:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Sully for 2014 Cleveland #1...  That's the sticking point, I think.  If Cleveland makes the playoffs, this pick is 15th or lower, and that's just not great value.

Health aside (I know, that's a big aside) if Cleveland ended up with a pick outside the top 10 the odds of that pick performing as well as Sully is at the same point in his career are pretty poor. I'd also say Bradley's worth more than an end of the round draft pick.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 10:09:02 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If we're trading with Cleveland we should try and rescue Luol Deng. Dude doesn't deserve to be on the Cav's.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 10:15:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

Health aside (I know, that's a big aside) if Cleveland ended up with a pick outside the top 10 the odds of that pick performing as well as Sully is at the same point in his career are pretty poor. I'd also say Bradley's worth more than an end of the round draft pick.
The question is, is Miami's pick really going to be at the end of the first round.  If Bosh and James both leave, Miami might not even make the playoffs (the pick is top 10 protected for a couple of years and then unproteced in 2017).  If one of them leaves then it is probably a low 20's type pick.  If Boston isn't going to re-sign Bradley, I think that value is probably about right.

As for Sullinger and the late lottery or early playoffs pick  of Cleveland, I guess it depends what Boston does with it.  Maybe they package the Cleveland and Brooklyn pick and move up into the late top 10, or package it with Boston's own pick to move up a spot or two to get the guy they really want.  Or maybe a Paul George type player is available.  Draftexpress has Dario Saric at 11.  He very well might be the best player in this draft.  I agree there is a lot of uncertainty, but by the middle of his second year, I could certainly see a late lottery or early playoff pick this year turning into a very inconsistent 13/8 type player (which is what Sullinger is)
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 11:47:55 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

The question is, is Miami's pick really going to be at the end of the first round.  If Bosh and James both leave, Miami might not even make the playoffs (the pick is top 10 protected for a couple of years and then unproteced in 2017).  If one of them leaves then it is probably a low 20's type pick.  If Boston isn't going to re-sign Bradley, I think that value is probably about right.

As for Sullinger and the late lottery or early playoffs pick  of Cleveland, I guess it depends what Boston does with it.  Maybe they package the Cleveland and Brooklyn pick and move up into the late top 10, or package it with Boston's own pick to move up a spot or two to get the guy they really want.  Or maybe a Paul George type player is available.  Draftexpress has Dario Saric at 11.  He very well might be the best player in this draft.  I agree there is a lot of uncertainty, but by the middle of his second year, I could certainly see a late lottery or early playoff pick this year turning into a very inconsistent 13/8 type player (which is what Sullinger is)

Sullinger isn't that inconsistent for a 2nd year player. Also, your expectations for miod 1st rounders is awfully unrealistic. In the last 15 years there have been a total of 28 players who averaged at least 12/7 in their 2nd year, and the bulk of them were high draft picks. Only 6 players in the last 15 years who played 1000+ minutes in their 2nd years averaged as many points and rebounds per36 as Sully has this year, and Sully's the only one drafted outside the top 10.

Before his hand injury Sully was averaging 20/10 per 36. The only players among those 6 players who averaged that were Griffin, Davis and  Cousins. If Sully was on another team you'd be saying his GM would immediately hang up the phone if we offered a late lottery (or worse) pick for him.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
Not sure where the idea of stripping this franchise bare is gaining traction. Ainge won't do that, and he shouldn't.

He's going to identify a few assets to build around, including probably Rondo, although no objective person - emphasis on objective required on this blog - can be encouraged by what they've seen thus far.

It makes absolutely NO sense to strip the franchise bare for alleged assets that may or may not prove to be worth anything. Move Green? Sure, for the right return. Move Bradley? Absolutely. NO interest whatsoever in paying him anything close to $10 million a year. Sullinger? Nope. Looks like a future building block to me.

Move all of them for variable value assets? Absolutely not.

+1.  You don't trade all 3 of those for picks only.  NOBODY will want to sign with you.  So you will have picks and nothing else plus as somebody mentioned there's no way Rondo would stay then so you will be saying goodbye to him also..

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
No