Author Topic: Idea: Green & Bass to DET, Smith & Wallace to NYK, STAT & assets to BOS  (Read 7510 times)

Re: Idea: Green & Bass to DET, Smith & Wallace to NYK, STAT & assets to BOS
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
To be honest, I think you guys are both right.

To me, Dumars SHOULD cut bait on Smith. It should come as no surprise that having two volume shooters on the roster would have an impact on Monroe's numbers this year, and trading the young big man when his stock is low to move Smith to his natural position seems more like compounding an error to me than correcting one.

I think that you're far from the only one with that opinion, with which I agree. here's what ESPN says:

The Josh Smith experiment in Detroit is not going well, and there's strong opinion around the league that the Pistons would trade him if they could -- and "could'' is the key word. Since Smith is in the first year of a four-year, $56 million deal, he is one of the most untradable players in the league. ESPN.com - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors/tag/josh_smith#sthash.gLIwumiT.dpuf

If we got JSmoove here, could he be our 2014 Ray Allen to attract our 2014 KG at draft time?

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
If Jared Sullinger weren't on the Celtics' roster, I think you'd be hearing more smoke about Ainge going after Smith. He'd be a very good second fiddle to Rondo, still young enough to build around over the life of that new contract he just signed.

But unless Ainge thinks that Sullinger is going to play C, or Smith can play SF (and his time in Detroit strongly suggests otherwise), I don't think it's going to happen.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:00:37 PM »

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
If Jared Sullinger weren't on the Celtics' roster, I think you'd be hearing more smoke about Ainge going after Smith. He'd be a very good second fiddle to Rondo, still young enough to build around over the life of that new contract he just signed.

But unless Ainge thinks that Sullinger is going to play C, or Smith can play SF (and his time in Detroit strongly suggests otherwise), I don't think it's going to happen.

I agree, but I think Smith is just the type of weak-side defender Sully would need to help him. Stretch 4s would be the only issue because they could pull Smith out of the paint but Wallace could cover them if they are on the perimeter.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 09:04:22 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I like those three teams but the better deal is:

DET gets: Green, Amare
NYK gets: Smith, Wallace
BOS gets: Villanueva, Jerebko, Billups

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2014, 09:21:08 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Yeah, there's no way Dumars trades Billups twice. He'd be run out of Detroit on a rail.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
it makes the Josh Smith signing look like a mistake. 

I think Josh Smith's play has already let that cat out of the bag.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 04:23:20 PM »

Offline theham

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Here's a more realistic deal:

DET gets: Green, Amare
NYK gets: Smith, Wallace, Bass
BOS gets: Villanueva, Jerebko, Bargnani

C's would have enough cap space to make a max offer and maybe sign Bradley next year, plus have a nice $12 mil expiring deal in Bargnani. If they just let B go at the end of the year, they'd then have enough cap space to resign Rondo and add another max contract in 2015.

Knicks would improve mightily this year and get rid of Amare's huge deal (though it kills their space in 2015 - not sure Dolan has the patience to wait though)

DET would be able to part with Josh Smith, add pieces that fit better to this year's team, re-sign Monroe in the offseason without hitting luxury tax territory and probably have enough cap space for a max offer in 2015.

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »

Offline cletus1985

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 408
I'd try this trade with no draft picks going out.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ml6u5pv

New York dumps alot of dead weight while getting productive players at the cost of taking on Wallace. We get a prospect with potential in Hardaway and a couple expiring contracts for taking on Stoudemire. We may be able to dump Martin for a trade exception or 2nd round pick to a contender who needs big man depth.

We'd need to shed salary to avoid the luxury tax, so if we could work it out with PHI to take on Joel Anthony for cash and some 2nd rounders this trade would make perfect sense. We take on an additional 3-4mill or so next year while dumping 8mill the next.

In a perfect world a superstar forces his way out of town next year (Melo or Love most likely) and we flip Amare's contract plus some of our many assets to add them. Since I'm in dream land and love to dream big we now have Rondo, Melo/Love, and Embiid as our core. With whatever we haven't given up to acquire a superstar (Hardaway, Sullinger, Olynk, Green, etc.), if we have any of those guys other than Olynk I think we're definitely contending.

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
How about Bass anywhere for ....... A value meal

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2014, 06:12:36 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
That's actually a really good idea. TP.
I'm not sure how Smith fits in with their system  of shooters but you could actually try putting him at the 5 with Melo at the 4 for certain line ups.
You'd have to force him to play around the basket and draw defenders which he might not like because his ppg would go down and his free throw attempts would sky rocket...but his assists would sky rocket and he could be.a triple double threat on a nightly basis.
Chandler and Smith protecting the rim would be nasty too. He can also guard guys like Lebron and create match up problems for opposing defenses.
If this scenario was available 2 years ago then it'd be much more likely to happen. Dolan would just be really rolling the dice with a move like this. They are so close to that precious cap space and to blow 15 million for 4 years might be another failure and another reason for Melo to leave.

Green would be great for the Pistons and he stretches the floor + can shoot unlike Smith.
The Pistons are only stuck with Greens 9 million for 2 more years and Bass' 6 million for 1 year.
Bass gives them a solid vet for a playoff run.

I'd probably try and snag a first round pick somewhere too but Hardaway would be an awesome addition for us.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2014, 09:11:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I'd probably try and snag a first round pick somewhere too but Hardaway would be an awesome addition for us.

This is by far the most the Pistons could hope for in a Smith trade, so what pick the Cs get... or whether its Singler or Datome... is change on the dollar, basically, and presumably about Ainge's craftiness.

But I think every team checks a couple of boxes here.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 09:21:28 PM by ssspence »
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Why can't Detroit just trade Monroe to us for Green and some picks? I sure like the sounds of that a lot better.