Author Topic: Kyrie Irving wants to leave Cleveland  (Read 14955 times)

Re: Kyrie Irving wants to leave Cleveland
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2014, 10:48:18 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
well..

the ones he is "close too"
he needs to cut off
cause his bizness is in the street

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2014, 10:49:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Cleveland has a lot of young talent, but they are almost all immature (certainly Irving and Waiters).  They need to make some moves (like the Deng trade) to bring in some veterans for some of the young guys or draft picks.  They also need a good interior scorer as Thompson just isn't good enough to carry the load offensively down low.  They need a David West type player, cagey veteran interior scorer added to a young team to help them mature.

Tristan Thompson is I think one of the biggest losers here. He gets at best mention as an afterthought. But he's a hustle monster and very athletic, with all the tools to be a very good defender one day. If he played with Rondo or Paul or even Nash, Conley, or Lowry, he'd get 15 a night and be shooting 55% from the floor. But he plays with Waiters and Irving.
I like Thompson a lot, but he isn't a great offensive player.  Not a good shooter, no real solid post moves, etc.  Definitely a hustle guy and a solid rebounder though.  He is pretty much an Anderson Varejao clone.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2014, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Cleveland has a lot of young talent, but they are almost all immature (certainly Irving and Waiters).  They need to make some moves (like the Deng trade) to bring in some veterans for some of the young guys or draft picks.  They also need a good interior scorer as Thompson just isn't good enough to carry the load offensively down low.  They need a David West type player, cagey veteran interior scorer added to a young team to help them mature.

Tristan Thompson is I think one of the biggest losers here. He gets at best mention as an afterthought. But he's a hustle monster and very athletic, with all the tools to be a very good defender one day. If he played with Rondo or Paul or even Nash, Conley, or Lowry, he'd get 15 a night and be shooting 55% from the floor. But he plays with Waiters and Irving.
I like Thompson a lot, but he isn't a great offensive player.  Not a good shooter, no real solid post moves, etc.  Definitely a hustle guy and a solid rebounder though.  He is pretty much an Anderson Varejao clone.

He isn't a well rounded offensive player, but he is an excellent finisher at the rim. Its a talent though that isn't exploited right now in Cleveland. Not that Irving isn't trying, he just isn't able to capitalize on it like a more gifted passer could, and he isn't in an offensive system that enables it.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
It's too early to say what level Irving can reach, he only played two and a half seasons. I somehow feel he's not giving 100% this year because he wants to play more games and avoid injury.

To some extent Irving reminds me of a young Kobe, he's questioned not for his talent and potential, but more for the attitude and maturity. With the right coach and teammates I believe he can take his game to the next level.

I'd trade Rondo + a 2014 first round pick for him.