Author Topic: Sixers (14-30) at Celtics (15-32) Game #48 1/29/14  (Read 52072 times)

Sixers (14-30) at Celtics (15-32) Game #48 1/29/14
« on: January 28, 2014, 10:50:35 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Philadelphia 76ers (14-30) at Boston Celtics (15-31)
Wednesday, January 29, 2014
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #48, Home Game #24
TV: CSNNE, CSNP, NBA LP 755(DTV)/753(Xfinity)
Radio: WBZ, WPEN
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Rajon Rondo .................................. SG: Gerald Wallace

C:  Jared Sullinger

SF: Jeff Green ....................................... PF: Brandon Bass

Celtics Reserves

Vitor Faverani
Kelly Olynyk
Jerryd Bayless
Phil Pressey
Brandon Bass
Joel Anthony
Chris Johnson
Vander Blue

Injuries
Avery Bradley (ankle) out
Keith Bogans (personal) out

Probable Starters

PG: James Anderson .................................... SG: Michael Carter-Williams

C: Spencer Hawes

SF: Evan Turner ...................................... PF: Thaddeus Young

Sixers Reserves

Hollis Thompson
Lavoy Allen
Tony Wroten
Elliot Williams
Dewayne Dedmon
Lorenzo Brown
Jason Richardson

Injuries
Brandon Davies (finger) out
Arnett Moultrie (ankle) out
Nerlens Noel  (knee) out

Game Notes
The Celtics return home to host the Sixers for the 1st of 4 meetings this season.  The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games but still should be able to win this game. 

The Sixers and Celtics are tied in the standings for last place in the Atlantic Division.  Both teams have lost their last 3 games.  The Celtics are just percentage points ahead of the Sixers for the 3rd and 4th worst records in the East.

Both teams are 2-8 in their last 10 games.  The Celtics are 9-14 at home while the Sixers are 6-16 on the road.  This could be a very ugly game with neither team wanting to get the win. 

Key Matchups
vs
Gerald Wallace vs Michael Carter-Williams
Williams may be the best rookie in the league this season.  He certainly is playing well, averaging 17.4 points, 5.6 rebounds, 6.7 assists and 2.41 steals per game. 

vs
Brandon Bass vs Evan Turner
Turner is averaging 18.5 points, 6.1 rebounds, and 3.7 assists per game.  He is also very quick and could give Bass problems.

Honorable Mention

Jeff Green vs Thaddeus Young
After Green's big game against the Wizards, he has all but disappeared.  He will need to defend against Young who is averaging 17.3 points, 6.4 rebounds 1.9 assists, and 2.1 steals. 

Keys to the Game
Defense - As always, defense is key to winning. Period. The Celtics have been slipping on defense and allowing teams to score way too many easy baskets, especially in the paint.  They also went from having one of the best perimeter defenses to allowing the Knicks to score at will beyond the arc.  They must play better on the defensive end if they want to get back to winning.

Take Care of the Ball - The Celtics tend to turn the ball over way too much. The Celtics need to keep their focus and make smart passes and avoid the costly turnovers that almost always lead to a score for the other team.

Rebound - Rebounding is mostly effort and desire and when the Celtics put the effort on the glass it usually shows up in other areas also. They have to rebound on both ends to keep the Sixers from getting second chance points and to give themselves more chances to score. 

Be Aggressive
- The Celtics need to stay aggressive. They have to be more aggressive going to the hoop and not settling for outside shots, which just haven't been falling.  They have to be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls, and in going after rebounds. They have to be the team that wants it more.

Run
- The Celtics have to run on every possession.  Too often they walk the ball up the court.  When they run, they get easy shots before the defenses set up.  They have to set the pace right from the beginning and keep it up through the final buzzer. 

X-Factors
Effort and Focus
The Celtics have to come out and play hard and be the team that wants the win more.  This is a winnable game if they keep their focus and play hard as a team. 

Re: Sixers (14-30) at Celtics (15-32) Game #48 1/29/14
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 10:52:37 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Time to overtake Philly on the tank standings!
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 10:55:59 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Go Celtics !

Time for another win...... I hope....

But ....I an't holding my breath

So given  em what for...... :D

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 11:00:52 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
Go Celtics !

DA is in full tank mode even if INDIRECTLY. he will not let us blow our current position.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Go Celtics !

DA is in full tank mode even if INDIRECTLY. he will not let us blow our current position.

Yup......   Time for us to face the facts ... to study the big picture.......Danny sees himself. Shaking  Parker's hand and slapping a Celtics cap on his head draft night.....

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 11:19:04 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Go Celtics !

Yup......   Time for us to face the facts ... to study the big picture.......Danny sees himself. Shaking  Parker's hand and slapping a Celtics cap on his head draft night.....

not sure we can flop like the bucks but orlando COULD pass us up putting us at the second worst spot record wise. If we can just get a top 3 pick with the lottery balls we will be golden. I predicted top 5 before the season started and we might surpass that.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 11:21:38 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Man I don't know...... That six ers team really stinks .....and we are home .......and Grren had one his usual horrid streak .......time for a reprise game from him again........Jeff reappears

May not be possible to lose this game .

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 11:25:28 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Go Celtics !

not sure we can flop like the bucks but orlando COULD pass us up putting us at the second worst spot record wise. If we can just get a top 3 pick with the lottery balls we will be golden. I predicted top 5 before the season started and we might surpass that.

Orlando get their good young center back going...they are a lot better .....and should win a few games than us I would think...
But DA is not finished trading yet ......Bas or Green trade would be .....a mailed in lottery pick  ;D

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 11:26:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
a well placed rumor that Green is on the block around game time should quench any chance of Green lighting it up.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 11:32:42 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
a well placed rumor that Green is on the block around game time should quench any chance of Green lighting it up.

Yup .....

The little chemistry that Stevens built .....was fragile at best .......trade Lee and Craw ...Bogans walks out ......The trade rumors  will about finish these kid off ......

I feel sorry for them ......they have played hard .......just the way things work in h end

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 11:32:45 PM »

• Dennis Johnson
Go Celtics !

Orlando get their good young center back going...they are a lot better .....and should win a few games than us I would think...
But DA is not finished trading yet ......Bas or Green trade would be .....a mailed in lottery pick  ;D

yep as much as both of those guys frustrate us we will lose some scoring with both of them gone. Too much for AB to overcome once he comes back!  ;)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Man I don't know...... That six ers team really stinks .....and we are home .......and Grren had one his usual horrid streak .......time for a reprise game from him again........Jeff reappears

May not be possible to lose this game .

This is a division and rival game...it's the Celtics-76ers. The one that took the Celtics to 7 games two years ago!

But of course, that was with Doug Collins and Andre Iguodala.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:47 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Go Celtics !

yep as much as both of those guys frustrate us we will lose some scoring with both of them gone. Too much for AB to overcome once he comes back!  ;)

I think even AB's enthusiasm is waning .....the players , fans  are depressed too.....but it it part of the business.....

AB can't save us .    Although Bayless would make the team  operate better....bu if they can't hit a shot , still won't matter

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith