Author Topic: Working out a deal with PHX  (Read 8583 times)

Re: Working out a deal with PHX
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 02:44:29 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wonder if the C's can build a deal with Phoenix around Humphries and Green for Okafor and Len?

I think that could be very interesting.  It gives the C's a nice young center to try to develop, and a little more space under the tax line.  For the Suns it gives them an upgrade on the wing, and someone who could thrive in their system, as well as a bruising, rebounding big man who can run the floor and clean up the offensive boards. 

I am convinced that the Suns owners are staring at the possible revenues of an unexpected playoff run, and are going to push for the 8th seed, and this is the type of deal that does that, without giving up too much of the future, and without giving up too much cap space either.  They will still be able to restock with all their draft picks this year, while also hitting the free agent market to find a running mate for Bledsoe going forward. 

If the Celtics are receiving a nice young center to develop, then the Suns are giving up too much of the future.  The deal only makes sense for Phoenix if Len is a draft bust who the Suns have rightfully given up on.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 03:08:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Okafor for Green sounds like a great deal for all parties. Green gets to go on a playoff team and contribute. Okafor gets to collect his money. C's can bolster their lottery chances and their salary cap situation for next year. Suns shore up their SF slot.

I would throw in any other player not named Rondo or Sully that the Suns would find useful to acquire a 1st rd late lottery pick (do they have the Wolves pick? Wolves are more likely to end up in the lottery rather than the Wiz).

Wolves pick is protected 1-13... so if they are the last team out of the playoffs, it goes to the Suns.  Otherwise, it doesn't.

I think you're selling Green short to dump him for salary relief.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 03:09:24 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I wonder if the C's can build a deal with Phoenix around Humphries and Green for Okafor and Len?

I think that could be very interesting.  It gives the C's a nice young center to try to develop, and a little more space under the tax line.  For the Suns it gives them an upgrade on the wing, and someone who could thrive in their system, as well as a bruising, rebounding big man who can run the floor and clean up the offensive boards. 

I am convinced that the Suns owners are staring at the possible revenues of an unexpected playoff run, and are going to push for the 8th seed, and this is the type of deal that does that, without giving up too much of the future, and without giving up too much cap space either.  They will still be able to restock with all their draft picks this year, while also hitting the free agent market to find a running mate for Bledsoe going forward. 

If the Celtics are receiving a nice young center to develop, then the Suns are giving up too much of the future.  The deal only makes sense for Phoenix if Len is a draft bust who the Suns have rightfully given up on.

This would be true IF the Suns would not had not LUCKED into getting Miles Plumlee.  I think he is their future at Center and they will develop him, which makes Len sort of expendable.

Smitty77

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I have been pushing for a couple of weeks essentially Green for Len and a 1st (probably Indiana's).  I think it would be a trade that both teams could benefit from.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2014, 03:28:46 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I have been pushing for a couple of weeks essentially Green for Len and a 1st (probably Indiana's).  I think it would be a trade that both teams could benefit from.

How does that make any sense for Phoenix ?
They are giving up a athletic big man , with lots of potential and a 1st for Green ?

They maybe give a late first 20-30 for him , but that's about it

Anyways, there was an article on realgm yesterday saying how they are looking for an all-star talent by trading Okafor(covered by insurance) and a pick for an all-star, Green is not an All-star level player .

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2014, 03:30:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

This depends on how you look at Green.  If they see Green as a high quality player, who can give them an upgrade at the SF spot, and Humphries can give them more depth and perhaps an upgrade at the 4/5, then it does make sense.

And let's remember, this is not the best run organization.  Their owner is as cheap as they come, and often pushes the GM to make money oriented moves, so solidifying their team for the playoffs might be a higher priority to them, than holding on to a high risk/high reward prospect, particuarly given all the draft picks they have coming up.

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2014, 03:37:43 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I am not at all opposed to moving Green.

I am totally opposed to giving him away, which is what is proposed in the front page article.

There have been some really bad trade ideas on this blog in the past, as there are on most NBA blogs.

This one is one of the worst.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2014, 03:42:59 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

This would be true IF the Suns would not had not LUCKED into getting Miles Plumlee.  I think he is their future at Center and they will develop him, which makes Len sort of expendable.

Why should teams settle for only having one good player at a given position?  Len may be sort of expendable, but only a stupid GM would treat him as a throw-in rather than an asset you try to get maximum value for if you trade him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2014, 03:47:50 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
If DA can somehow get a 1st round pick out of Jeff Green I'd be ecstatic, hes on a bad contract on proven himself as at best a 7th man on a championship team.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

They are giving up a athletic big man , with lots of potential and a 1st for Green ?

Anyways, there was an article on realgm yesterday saying how they are looking for an all-star talent by trading Okafor(covered by insurance) and a pick for an all-star, Green is not an All-star level player .
Because Phoenix has a hole at SF of which Green is far better than anyone on their roster.  And sure Len was drafted highly, but it was a weak draft, and he can't even leave the bench most nights.  Green is a solid defender (something they need) and is a good outside shooter.  When Bledsoe is back and with Dragic already there, Green would be perfect in that third scorer role with the big game every so often.  The Indiana pick might very well be the last pick in the first round and given the guaranteed money is probably less valuable than the first 10 or so second round picks this year anyway.  Len has played 115 minutes the entire year, he isn't in their rotation and this is a team looking for the playoffs in the very deep western conference. 

They would still have Okafor and 3 other picks to make other moves if necessary, but Green would be a nice piece to their team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 04:36:26 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So I think a deal with Phoenix would make sense, and even if they don't want Green, PHX has the cap space and picks to facilitate a deal.

Phoenix potentially has four first round picks this year. I expect them to trade at least one of those to improve their roster before the trading deadline. The question is: do they want Jeff Green more than the other players they could get in a deal from another team?

Btw I think Jeff Green is the perfect fit for Phoenix, he can shoot 3's and is more athletic than the majority of the 3's in the NBA, he is made for the system that they run.

I also think Dallas might be a good option if they are willing to part with Larkin along with an expiring.

Portland could use a bench wing that can play good defense and with Batum out their need for a three is big. If we could get one of Meyers Leonard. Thomas Robinson or CJ McCollum for him plus filler I think that would be fair value. Portland might actually be the best fit because 1. They have young talent 2. All their players under contract except for Earl Watson have multiple years left on their deals meaning they would be less hesitant about taking on years of Green or Bass because they aren't going to have cap space anyway. If they decide they are looking for financial flexibility they could look into Humphries who would be an upgrade over T-Rob/Leonard and would give them future flexibility.

DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2014, 05:32:37 PM »

Offline Yenohb

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 73

Because Phoenix has a hole at SF of which Green is far better than anyone on their roster.  And sure Len was drafted highly, but it was a weak draft, and he can't even leave the bench most nights.  Green is a solid defender (something they need) and is a good outside shooter.  When Bledsoe is back and with Dragic already there, Green would be perfect in that third scorer role with the big game every so often.  The Indiana pick might very well be the last pick in the first round and given the guaranteed money is probably less valuable than the first 10 or so second round picks this year anyway.  Len has played 115 minutes the entire year, he isn't in their rotation and this is a team looking for the playoffs in the very deep western conference. 

They would still have Okafor and 3 other picks to make other moves if necessary, but Green would be a nice piece to their team.

I think you're underestimating Len's talent and potential.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wizards-insider/wp/2014/01/24/former-maryland-star-alex-len-starting-to-contribute-in-phoenix/

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2014, 05:57:02 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

There is NO way that the Suns are getting an All-Star level player for Okafor's expiring and a later first rounder!!!  Impossible.  The plane, the plane!!  Is that you Tatoo.  That is an old Fantasy Island reference for you youngsters:-))

Smitty77

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2014, 06:02:45 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
If DA can somehow get a 1st round pick out of Jeff Green I'd be ecstatic, hes on a bad contract on proven himself as at best a 7th man on a championship team.

Are you posting this just to be bothersome to those who like Green? Yeah, he is only capable of being the 7th best player on a contending team  ::)

If we are going to move Green, I want to do it an upgrade move (Monroe - I know others don't love him, but he is a decent building block) or if we are getting a solid young player and mid-first round pick.

Why people totally overvalue late firsts is beyond me. I get that they bring in potentially valuable players on cheap contracts, but still, if we could trade our LAC pick for someone of the quality of Green, I would be pretty psyched...and, no, I don't think he is vastly overpaid.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 04:52:30 AM »

Offline demiurg

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 0
Oh delusional Celtics fans...