Author Topic: Rondo To Sactown Revisited  (Read 4283 times)

Rondo To Sactown Revisited
« on: January 28, 2014, 04:20:17 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 With the reality of Rondo needing time to get back to the Rondo we know and love and the fact that It will take about 100 million to resign him.

If they tweaked the offer to Thomas, Ben Maclemore, Derick Williams, Jimmer, a first, and two two's would you consider that now. BTW it'd a plus 11 wins for the Celtics in the trade machine.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:30:22 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: Rondo To Sactown Revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 04:35:35 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
With the reality of Rondo needing time to get back to the Rondo we know and love and the fact that It will take about 100 million to resign him.

If they tweaked the offer to Thomas, Ben Maclemore, Derick Williams, Jimmer, a first, and two two's would you consider that now. BTW it'd a plus 11 wins for the Celtics in the trade machine.
On paper that sounds like a classic "media bash" overreaction trade that turns out to be a long-term heist. 

Immediate reaction: "HOW COULD THEY TRADE A SUPERSTAR DOLLAR FOR 7 DIME!?!"

Long term reaction:  "Wow... in retrospect, Ainge completely owned the Kings.  The kings remain awful, McLemore has been sensational, the pick is likely going to be in the lotto, Rondo has never regained his form without KG, PIerce and Doc... and Boston acquired several other solid assets from the deal"

That said, I don't think it was ever a real prospective trade.  Just some made-up rumor.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 05:16:00 AM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
I've posted on a few other SAC trade ideas and I had a revelation while retracing the details. Trading for Thomas, Jimmer, Williams and McLemore is really just trading for Williams and McLemore. The other two are on expiring deals and while Jimmer might not get a better offer in FA Thomas definitely will. I'm not sure I move Rondo for McLemore/Williams and a 1st. If their 1st is a top-5 pick this year then I'd do it. And in that case SAC definitely doesn't.

Also there is no way Rondo commands $100M. He will probably sign for around $80M/5yrs. C's should give it to him too. He's been a trooper for holding out until mid-January on top of suffering a complete rebuild all without as much as a gripe. They've traded his 3 best friends on the team (Perk, KG and then Courtney Lee) and they've basically thrown in competing for this year and likely next. The FA class of 2015 will probably turn the page on our rebuild and Rondo is smart enough to see that...unless Ainge does something crazy (which is probably 50/50).

In fact Rondo has praised his teammates, coaches, even Ainge. The dude grew up fast and it's not only a pleasure to watch him play but also a pleasure to have him lead the C's. I changed my mind. We should keep him!

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:19:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Would anyone else do this deal. Also we would be re signing Thomas to a reasonable deal. Or I would not do it If Thomas wanted to much money.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Rondo to Sacramento in today's landscape is the only rondo trade that makes sense. Been saying that for the last 2.5 months. No other destination makes sense for both Boston and the acquiring team.

This years lotto pick has to be involved. That's a given. Sacramento gas the choice to either send mclemore as well or keep mclemore and take on Wallace too. Don't see Sacramento doing both of those and giving the pick. However Ainge will insist on either in addition to the pick. Matching salary could be Thornton and filler in the mclemore deal. If they took Wallace I'd insist on Williams expiring being sent back.

Sac really needs a pass first pg who can facilitate to their scorers and play defense against the elite point guards in the west.

Look at what Utah received from the nets for deron. That's what Ainge will go for.

I think sac wants to win now and might want rondo over an exum or smart.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:31:18 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 02:32:16 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think that is more than fair value, so much so Sac wouldn't do that deal. Also Rondo will not being commanding a 100 mil plus contract, this isn't baseball, those are extremely rare.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 02:40:22 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Rondo to Sacramento in today's landscape is the only rondo trade that makes sense. Been saying that for the last 2.5 months. No other destination makes sense for both Boston and the acquiring team.

This years lotto pick has to be involved. That's a given. Sacramento gas the choice to either send mclemore as well or keep mclemore and take on Wallace too. Don't see Sacramento doing both of those and giving the pick. However Ainge will insist on either in addition to the pick. Matching salary could be Thornton and filler in the mclemore deal. If they took Wallace I'd insist on Williams expiring being sent back.

Sac really needs a pass first pg who can facilitate to their scorers and play defense against the elite point guards in the west.

Look at what Utah received from the nets for deron. That's what Ainge will go for.

I disagree that Sacto is the only team that makes sense.  I think Atlanta would be happy to upgrade to Rondo over Teague, and they have some interesting young players, picks, and an ability to take Gerald Wallace if Teague were sent back to Boston as part of a deal.  Depending on your opinion of Teague, it might work better in a three-team deal with us getting Schroder and someone else getting Teague, but Atlanta was first in the alphabet and I stopped looking after that.  Point is, there are other options aside from Sacramento if you're wanting to trade Rondo.

A Rondo shirt is the only attire for any sports team, professional or college, that I own, so I'm anti-trading him.  But I think you could get back a package to build around with a number of teams.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 02:44:19 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Rondo for a bunch of mediocre not really that important role guys... I say no.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

I disagree that Sacto is the only team that makes sense.  I think Atlanta would be happy to upgrade to Rondo over Teague, and they have some interesting young players, picks, and an ability to take Gerald Wallace if Teague were sent back to Boston as part of a deal.  Depending on your opinion of Teague, it might work better in a three-team deal with us getting Schroder and someone else getting Teague, but Atlanta was first in the alphabet and I stopped looking after that.  Point is, there are other options aside from Sacramento if you're wanting to trade Rondo.

A Rondo shirt is the only attire for any sports team, professional or college, that I own, so I'm anti-trading him.  But I think you could get back a package to build around with a number of teams.

Don't think Atlanta has the assets Ainge is looking for.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 03:14:52 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547

probably true.  Charlotte makes sense for Rondo.  Detroit makes sense for Rondo.  Minnesota makes sense for Rondo.  Even teams like Memphis make sense for Rondo.  There are a lot of teams that would like Rondo and have the assets that it would take to acquire Rondo, whether they want to trade them is another question of course. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 03:29:09 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I don't think Rondo is going anywhere, and I don't think Danny Ferry is inclined to pay the price for Rondo that must exist, but I'm fairly sure there is an offer for Rondo which Atlanta could make that would not at the same time gut Atlanta's roster.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2017, 04:10:40 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Bumped. Just to prove to the other poster I wasn't lying.

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

Bumped. Just to prove to the other poster I wasn't lying.
wouldnt a simple PM to whomever it is your are battling be a bit more discrete and less bothersome than a bump of a 3 year thread?

but i am sure your partner-in-debate is duly impessed and has changed their mind.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva