Author Topic: WORST moments as a fan  (Read 12694 times)

Re: WORST moments as a fan
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2014, 08:58:38 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
off the top of my head in no order
magics hook, cost me good $ !!
bird missing a reverse dunk against detroit that in my memory would have put us back into finals
bird retiring, greatest player, tough, leader
hondo retiring, i was only watching for the end of his career but he bridged the celtics generation from my parents to me
len bias death
reggie  :'(
perk injury with us losing to lakers
mchales injury and playing on it, shortening his career and changing his game
dave cowens retiring,coming back, leaving
paul silas being traded ???
rick pitino being handed the keys  :-X  :-X  :-X
kg's knee, we could have had 3!
rondo's knee

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2014, 08:59:55 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

The worst/best , Marty Conlon on that great tanking team of 96

I saw the guy fall flat on his face just jogging up the court, wish I could find a clip of that  :D

And who's got Marty Conlon's autograph on a program right next to Antoine Walkers?...

Thiiiiiiiis guy

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2014, 09:38:06 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

The worst/best , Marty Conlon on that great tanking team of 96

I saw the guy fall flat on his face just jogging up the court, wish I could find a clip of that  :D

And who's got Marty Conlon's autograph on a program right next to Antoine Walkers?...

Thiiiiiiiis guy

LOL!!! I actually also got Conlon's signature on a game night program with Antoine Walkers! Toine yelled at me for asking him for an autograph again later that night. Those were the days...

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:31 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Worst moment by far...Reggie Lewis' death. I know other events hurt the franchise more, but Lewis' death really hurt, because we got to know and love him while he was here, and he had so much promise ahead of him.

Second is the game 7 loss to the lakers. I still can't get over that one.

Third is Magic's hook shot.

4th is KG's injury, it cost us 1-2 titles.

5th is Bird's retirement.

I'm ok with Pierce and KG's trade, it doesn't make my list.

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2014, 10:52:52 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101
1.Waking up to hear Bias was dead
2. Waking up to hear Lewis was dead.
3.Magics baby hook.
4.Losing to Washington in 1975. Brutal. We were better but missed open looks
5.Losing to NY in 1973. Havlicek's injury. We were better.
6.Losing to Lakers in 7th game in 2010. Probably the worst, but that Baby hook....
7. Losing to Mia in 2012.
8. Not winning the Timmy lottery
9. Hiring Rick Petino
10 Watching the KG injury against Utah.
11. Watching the Shaq injury after I figured he would blow his achilles because I thought I knew what the team docs did
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:00:26 PM by wahz »

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2014, 12:04:39 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
1.  Not being around to watch the Russell, Cowens, and Bird teams.  Even with hardwood classics, I envy you guys so much!
2.  Danny trading Pierce and KG.  I will never forgive him for that.  Ever.
3.  Game 7 2010.  I knew that that was our last chance.  Thank you so much Danny and Joey Crawford.  20+ free throw attempts in one quarter and the Lakers never even drove to the basket (not that I expected anything less, of course).
3.  The 2007 lottery.  Even Silva was stunned.  That was ridiculous.
4.  KG's injury and not resigning Posey.  I didn't think we could have won it again without him.  HUGE LOSS.
5.  Rondo getting hurt.
6.  Watching Doc's stupid half court let's call it offense.  Idk about you guys, but I'm all pick and rolled out.  Do they not know that there are other, and much better, plays?  I just can't take it anymore.
7.  Watching the 18 game losing streak and wondering where oh where are we going.
8.  Watching the draft every year and knowing that Danny is going to screw up.  Again.
9.  Hearing chants of MVP for Kobe in Boston in I believe 2007.  There were people who did the same thing a few games back for Durant maybe?  It makes me sick.  Those idiots should be barred from Celtics home games.  For life haha.

Speaking of That Magic Johnson Hook Shot in 1987...
If the league had replay back then---Johnson would have never taken that shot...Just before, Kareem missed the 2nd of 2 free throws---while trying for the rebound (and going STRAIGHT UP),the ball is called off McHale--and given back to the Lakers---Replay showed that Mychal Thompson went over McHale's back--to swat it out of bounds...typical NBA refs....Should have been an OT game at worst.

After watching that rebounding play many times, what ticks me off the most isn't even the lack of a foul, which there probably was; it's that you can clearly see on the replay that it was Thompson's hand who knocked it out of bounce.  If his hand isn't in there, the ball probably gets knocked up or around a little bit because of the angle's of Chief's and Mchale's hands, which were the opposites of each other. 

Also, no one ever mentions the 32-16 LA edge in free throws either, most of which were complete jokes.  +16 at the line and they win by 1 point?  Come on.  Bird missed that shot by a millimeter, too.  Incredible.  Even when he missed (which was not often), it was by a hair (even on half court shots!  I saw that one against the Hawks in 87 in Atlanta.  Woah.).  He did turn it over once down the stretch, but certainly made up for it with that three lol.  Tommy made the point that they should have gotten it inside to Mchale, which they normally did, so I don't know why they didn't on that day.  Where was the call on Worthy grabbing Larry on the jersey?  Amazing officiating as usual.  Would we have won the series if we'd taken Game 4?  No, imho.  Even if we'd swept at home we would have needed to win it all in LA.  Yeah, like that would have ever happened.  Between our injuries, lack of depth, incompetent coaching, and horrible officiating, there's no way.  At least I don't think so. 

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2014, 12:35:17 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Also: seeing Robert Parish unable to find a full-time gig with the C's (or the NBA) other than "big man mentor."

Mostly because he's my absolute hands-down favorite Celtic ever.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Avery Bradley being ruled out of the 2012 Eastern Conference finals, the Truth and The Ticket walking out that door. On a more general level, the malice at the palace. Was a Reggie Miller fan back then.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Game seven, Finals, 2010.

Ouch!  I can still feel the gut-wrenching pain as I type this. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2014, 10:55:28 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
at Junior Seau restaurant *rip* in San Diego
we were playin the Nets
i was drankin and talkin mad mess before the game
Kid an Kenyon was stompin us
Walker and Pierce had no answer
i was gettin bashed by everyone in the place
i bounced before the 4qt and sat outside
till the game was over..my brotha drove
so i had to wait on him..ouch

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2014, 11:29:31 PM »

Offline BadNewsBarnes

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 41
1.  Len Bias death - Oh what could have been!  I believe we would have won at least 2 more championships in the Bird era.  Bias was going to be a monster. I remember Bobby Knight talking to a bunch of young kids and telling them about Bias and how good he was.  He told them he might have even been better than Jordan.   

2.  2010 Finals loss - As someone else pointed out earlier the 20 free throws in one quarter sealed our fate.  I thought it then and I think it now - we got screwed in that game.   

3.  Havlicek dislocating his shoulder in the '73 playoffs - This opened the door for the Knicks to ruin a truly great season.  The best record in Celtic history 68-14.  We win the championship that year if Hondo doesn't get hurt.

4.  1985 & 1987 losses to the Lakers - Both of these hurt equally.  I hated seeing Kareem and Magic beat us.  I was disappointed that the Lakers choked and didn't make the finals in 1986 when we would have crushed them.  On the subject of 1987 I remember the trade deadline and rumors of Mychal Thompson being available.  I desperately wanted to see us get him but we whiffed on it and he ended up going to LA.  I hated San Antonio for years for trading him there.  He made a big difference on that team and played a key role in beating us - I'm not so sure they beat us without him.

5.  Losing game 7 at home in the 1982 Eastern Conference Finals to the Sixers - Coming back from 3 games to 1 to force a game 7 in the Garden I thought we had them - just  like we had done to them in 1981.  This was the first time I recall hearing the Beat LA chant.  As game 7 wound down and time was running out the Garden faithful started the chant.  LA was the bigger enemy.

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2014, 11:33:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
2010 finals

2007 draft lottery

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2014, 11:56:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Chuck speech pattern on:

The worst thing about 2010 is that, and I know we complain about the refs a lot, and the refs sometimes don't do a good thing, and Boston fans, Celtics fans, always say they get screwed by the refs and all, but the thing, the thing, the thing about 2010, and especially game 7, but the thing about 2010 is that they really got screwed, Ernie.

They did. They really got screwed.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.