Poll

Should #5 be retired?

Yes
75 (91.5%)
No
7 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

Author Topic: Should KG's number be retired  (Read 25194 times)

Should KG's number be retired
« on: January 27, 2014, 09:49:02 AM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
So, I've been hearing people asking this question a lot after yesterdays game. I honestly thought it was a no brainer that 5 should be retired, he brought so much to the Celtics organization even if he was only here for 6 seasons. What do you guys think?

Re: Should KG's number be retired
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 09:51:05 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Certainly
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:56:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I voted no.  Just not enough time in my mind to classify for a number in the rafters.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Here's a bigger question: Should Ray Allen be considered? I'm sure that would be a big debate.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 09:58:46 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Tough vote but I gotta say yes. Completely turned this historic franchise around and made them relevant again. Brought the town a championship and completely changed the culture of the franchise for the better.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 09:59:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Here's a bigger question: Should Ray Allen be considered? I'm sure that would be a big debate.

To Allen I say no.

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 10:00:03 AM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16

A couple years here, left in bad standings. While he absolutely helped with us getting 17, I don't think he's  being considered.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 10:02:56 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Well him and KG are on the same level as to what they brought to the franchise, I think. The difference is in how both went about jumping ship. Based on that, KG gets in, Ray doesn't.

I voted no.  Just not enough time in my mind to classify for a number in the rafters.

Not an Ed Macauley fan?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:03:27 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221

To Allen I say no.

I think a lot will say no. Cedric Maxwell and Tanguay were talking about it and Cedric feels like he should be right there with them because they wouldn't win without him.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

Well him and KG are on the same level as to what they brought to the franchise, I think. The difference is in how both went about jumping ship. Based on that, KG gets in, Ray doesn't.

Not an Ed Macauley fan?

my thoughts exactly - base on how both of them left the Cs, KG deserves it and Allen does not. KG left on good terms, bleeds green, and changed our culture...

Allen left on bad terms, but while he did help us win a championship and broke some records here as a C, I didn't felt that he deserves to be retired base on his ego.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:23:11 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Absolutlely.  No question.

KG changed the culture of that team and the franchise when he came in 2007.  An organization that had been trying to find itself since the Bird/McHale/Parish days.  First season, he brings them a championship and came inches within a 2nd title in '10.

KG helped turn around the franchise and the perception of professional basketball in Boston.  His impact can't be explained enough. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Absolutlely.  No question.

KG changed the culture of that team and the franchise when he came in 2007.  An organization that had been trying to find itself since the Bird/McHale/Parish days.  First season, he brings them a championship and came inches within a 2nd title in '10.

KG helped turn around the franchise and the perception of professional basketball in Boston.  His impact can't be explained enough.
A season and half of MVP play, all-nba and all-star play after that, complete and under competitor and two Finals trips as a key player.

Definitely worthy.

Boston has so many retired numbers that in a sense I think that it lowers the bar. So many of the Celtics up there didn't have the impact or strength of play that KG did. Can't leave him out.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 10:43:37 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

To Allen I say no.

I think a lot will say no. Cedric Maxwell and Tanguay were talking about it and Cedric feels like he should be right there with them because they wouldn't win without him.
thing is i don't think max should have his number retired
kg impacted the celtics more than paul or ray (or rondo) when here
6 high quality seasons, if he wasn't injured and we won 2 or 3 championships it would be a definite yes
tommy's career was shortened by injury, just not sure 6 seasons with team is enough, one season was injured....
no answer at this time but love him!

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:45:47 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Boston has so many retired numbers that in a sense I think that it lowers the bar. So many of the Celtics up there didn't have the impact or strength of play that KG did. Can't leave him out.

Exactly.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 10:52:14 AM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
I was at the game last night during KG tribute video they showed the retired numbers and showed a empty number spot. I got the feeling his number would retire in boston