Author Topic: Trade Idea: 3 Team (Bos-Was-Det)  (Read 2929 times)

Trade Idea: 3 Team (Bos-Was-Det)
« on: January 26, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
I've seen a lot of people suggesting various Jeff Green trades, some are pure salary dumps, in some we get a late first rounder. Although I don't think he will be here when Danny is done rebuilding this team, I still wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n6flr6a

Boston out: Jeff Green
Boston in: Otto Porter, Chauncey Billups
Detroit out: Greg Monroe, Chauncey Billups
Detroit in: Jeff Green
Washington out: Otto Porter
Washington in: Greg Monroe

Why for Boston? -  This is one trade I would be willing to make, but I guess it all depends on how do you rate Otto Porter. He was injured to start the season and now he is struggling in limited time he is getting, playing behind two veterans (Ariza and Webster) for a coach that is under pressure to make the playoffs.

I liked him a lot coming out of college and I believe playing under Stevens would do wonders for him. He has great size and length (6'9 in shoes with a 7'1.5 wingspan) and IMO in worst-case scenario he ends up being average starter like Green.

Even if you don't think that highly of him, I think he is a better asset than Green. Lets say Danny decides to go after a guy like Love on draft day, I am sure Minnesota would prefer a 20y old lottery pick on a rookie deal than a 27y old earning almost 9M per year.

Billups is basically an expiring since his next year is a team option.

Why for Detroit? - They tried to play Monroe together with Smith and Drummond and that experiment failed miserably. Drummond is their franchise player, Smith just got new contract and isn't movable which leaves Monroe as a odd man out.

He will be RFA this summer and it looks like Detroit is not prepared to give him 12/13M per year. If that's the case, rather then losing him for nothing, they have to see what they can get for him.

They have a huge hole at the SF spot and Green fits that bill perfectly. He can shoot the 3, defend and won't be asked to be 'the guy' on that team.

Why for Washington? - There was a rumor on HoopsHype they are interested in Monroe. They would love to pair him with their young backcourt Wall-Beal and together with their veterans (Wall-Beal-Ariza-Monroe-Gortat-Webster-Nene) they would arguably be the 3rd best team in the East.

As mentioned, they are in 'win now' mode, proved by the fact they traded their '14 1st rounder for Gortat earlier this season. Porter is not quite ready to step in and play big minutes for a playoff contender, especially when they already have Ariza and Webster playing really well in front of him.

Re: Trade Idea: 3 Team (Bos-Was-Det)
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Detroit trades Monroe and only gets back Green? Dumars hangs up the second you propose this. I'm not defending Monroe -- I'm not very interested in him -- but Dumars can get more. 

A deal of Monroe & CV to Washington for Porter and Ariza (or Webster) to Detroit makes more sense for both parties, assuming Dumars likes Otto. 
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 09:01:10 AM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Detroit trades Monroe and only gets back Green? Dumars hangs up the second you propose this. I'm not defending Monroe -- I'm not very interested in him -- but Dumars can get more. 

A deal of Monroe & CV to Washington for Porter and Ariza (or Webster) to Detroit makes more sense for both parties, assuming Dumars likes Otto.

The assumption here is that Detroit doesn't want to pay Monroe 12-13M per year, meaning that they will let him walk this summer if someone shows him the money. Because of that Dumars doesn't have the leverage.

Your deal doesn't make sense for Washington cause if they trade Ariza AND Porter they create a hole at the wing position.

Anyway, Dumars traded Knight and Middleton for a privilege to pay Jennings 8M per year. This sure wouldn't be his worst trade. :) 

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2014, 09:24:33 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I take it you're a Wizards fan.

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
I like Porter, but what about something a bit simpler? Porter+Seraphin for Green works in the trade machine, but that trade could look very bad in the future if Porter doesn't turn things around. Still very early though and there was a reason he was the 3rd pick.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The assumption here is that Detroit doesn't want to pay Monroe 12-13M per year, meaning that they will let him walk this summer if someone shows him the money. Because of that Dumars doesn't have the leverage.

Your deal doesn't make sense for Washington cause if they trade Ariza AND Porter they create a hole at the wing position.

Anyway, Dumars traded Knight and Middleton for a privilege to pay Jennings 8M per year. This sure wouldn't be his worst trade. :)

I hear that. I still think Dumars can get more.

Washington is reported to want Monroe. Considering they have both Webster and Ariza, I don't think they'd hesitate to move one of them in a deal for Monroe. You gotta give something to get something.

It's far fetched for Boston. I also don't really see why we'd acquire Porter considering Sully and KO. If the Pistons would take Green for Monroe, I suspect we could find a third team that would give us a more attractive package for Monroe than the one dialed up here.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:48 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Boston and Detroit give out way more than they get in return while the Wizards make out with highway robbery.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:10:09 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
So far no one knows what Porter is worth. He's played about 20 games and is averaging 10 minutes per game. So let's not hype his value. I do agree his contract and ceiling make him valuable but getting Monroe would be pretty good value. Especially if Monroe re-signs in the neighborhood of $10M/yr.

The idea that Detroit gives up Monroe for Green isn't all that far fetched. Monroe will ask for more money than Green makes in the off season. Monroe doesn't fit on the team as it's constructed and Green is a proficient wing scorer that would allow Smith to move back to PF. I'm not saying Dumars couldn't get more for Monroe (I really have no idea) but trading RFAs isn't like trading rookies. They're way less valuable. Few teams will want to give up assets for a guy who might be bought out from under them in 6 months.

The other thing to consider is that the Wizards have their C and PF spots pretty well staffed. Gortat is a FA but Nene is under contract for 2 more years and they've already said they're going to try to keep Gortat. Monroe might be a good back up plan but that could get messy.

The C's get the best of this deal getting Porter on a rookie deal for a few years while shedding Green's contract. That might cost them a 1st. I would think Washington would get it. Detroit basically makes a move for chemistry knowing they're not going to match offers for Monroe in the summer. Washington moves on from a guy who might never be a healthy NBA caliber player. It's a very interesting trade.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:18:22 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
So far no one knows what Porter is worth. He's played about 20 games and is averaging 10 minutes per game. So let's not hype his value. I do agree his contract and ceiling make him valuable but getting Monroe would be pretty good value. Especially if Monroe re-signs in the neighborhood of $10M/yr.

The idea that Detroit gives up Monroe for Green isn't all that far fetched. Monroe will ask for more money than Green makes in the off season. Monroe doesn't fit on the team as it's constructed and Green is a proficient wing scorer that would allow Smith to move back to PF. I'm not saying Dumars couldn't get more for Monroe (I really have no idea) but trading RFAs isn't like trading rookies. They're way less valuable. Few teams will want to give up assets for a guy who might be bought out from under them in 6 months.

The other thing to consider is that the Wizards have their C and PF spots pretty well staffed. Gortat is a FA but Nene is under contract for 2 more years and they've already said they're going to try to keep Gortat. Monroe might be a good back up plan but that could get messy.

The C's get the best of this deal getting Porter on a rookie deal for a few years while shedding Green's contract. That might cost them a 1st. I would think Washington would get it. Detroit basically makes a move for chemistry knowing they're not going to match offers for Monroe in the summer. Washington moves on from a guy who might never be a healthy NBA caliber player. It's a very interesting trade.

I would NEVER EVER give up a first rounder in this deal!!  Otto is TERRIBLE!!!  Do you all realize he is shooting UNDER 30%???  His efficiency rating is a 4.3.  Honestly, I cannot remember a top three pick being this BAD in quite a while.

WHY in the world would we want this guy??

Smitty77

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

I would NEVER EVER give up a first rounder in this deal!!  Otto is TERRIBLE!!!  Do you all realize he is shooting UNDER 30%???  His efficiency rating is a 4.3.  Honestly, I cannot remember a top three pick being this BAD in quite a while.

WHY in the world would we want this guy??

Smitty77

Couldn't agree with you more. I wouldn't even wanna do the deal in the OP, let alone add a first on top of that. You don't overpay for players who are unproven, simply because they were a top pick and *might* get better. Who says Porter will ever develop? And if Porter fizzles out of the league, which is probably just as likely as him developing into a undisputed starter, then we just traded Green for a 37yr old Chauncey Billups whom we don't need.