Author Topic: Idea: Rondo to OKC; Reggie Jax/S. Hawes to BOS; Perk to PHI  (Read 4166 times)

Idea: Rondo to OKC; Reggie Jax/S. Hawes to BOS; Perk to PHI
« on: January 25, 2014, 05:15:46 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
The following idea is an extension of this thread posted by yours truly: http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=69287.0

Readers please note that I propose this trade for the Celtics to do during the summer of 2015. Assume Rajon Rondo rejects the roughly 3yr/45mil offer from Danny Ainge this summer. Also read any current draft picks involved in the deal to mean teams receiving picks absorb the contract of whatever player is selected by the team sending the pick.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=k3frf7l

BOS gets: Reggie Jackson, Spencer Hawes (sign and trade), 2014 OKC first round draft pick
BOS sends: Rajon Rondo, 2014 second rounder (from BKN), 2015 PHI protected first rounder

OKC gets: Rajon Rondo
OKC sends: Reggie Jackson, 2014 OKC first rounder

PHI sends: Spencer Hawes (s&t)
PHI gets: Kendrick Perkins, 2014 second rounder (from BKN), 2015 PHI protected first rounder

Quick synopsis: We get one of the best young prospects in the game in Jackson. Consider this: Jackson's PER this year is 16.7. Eric Bledsoe's PER in his third season (last year) was 17.5. Many posters around here have said an ideal position for Boston to be sitting in next year would be the one Phoenix is sitting in now. The best place to start is obtaining the centerpiece to pair with our 2014 lottery pick. We also save cap space in the short term even by taking on the two or three year deal Hawes signs and get a late first rounder from OKC.

OKC will be looking to trade Jackson this summer. The kid's going to be a stud and his agent knows it. Little chance he re-signs the friendly contract OKC will be looking for him to accept; the situation becomes a Harden redux. Can't think of a better return for him + a first rounder than Rondo. They also unload Perk's contract.

PHI adds more picks to their pile by re-signing Hawes (for roughly the same contract he's on now) and flipping him. They're forced to swallow Perk's deal but by the time this deal happens (as I previously mentioned, summer of 2014), his contract will be considered an expiring. They also regain their first rounder that they relinquished to the Heat last year which ended up in our hands and take home a pretty nice second rounder from Brooklyn.

I could go on and on about the benefits to the three teams involved found in this deal but I'll leave it up to discussion. Consider this for OKC:

Rondo
Westbrook
Durant
Ibaka
Adams

Read the link I posted in italics above for my views on Westbrook at SG.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

Re: Idea: Rondo to OKC; Reggie Jax/S. Hawes to BOS; Perk to PHI
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Hate the trade, especially because the draft pick from OKC would have already been drafted.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 06:03:59 PM »

Offline green147

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I will never understand the fascination with Hawes. He's never been taken seriously as a starter for his entire career. Then Philadelphia starts a fast motion style of play to inflate stats (and trade value) and suddenly every team wants him. I think any team going after him or Turner this year will be sorely disappointment.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I just don't see OKC having interest in Rondo.

It puts them dangerously close to the tax threshold which is something they take so seriously that they moved Harden to avoid it.

I don't think it's the right fit.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 07:56:52 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
not a bad premise. I've thought of similar trade ideas getting Jackson from OKC if we traded Rondo first in a separate trade.
He's a slashing, attacking PG and I like his game.

I'd rather make him part of a rebuild core.
OKC would want picks and a young asset and those picks would have be good first rounders around the 15-20 mark at the least.
The next guy in the league that reminds me of Jackson is Dante Exum and I'd love to get our hands on him.

Only part I don't like is getting Hawes. He's just terrible and so overrated. He has good hands but his footwork is terrible and he struggles against any kind of length /strength or aggression in the paint. His defense is about as good David Lee's. (terrible).
Stay away my friend. Hot poo poo.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 10:11:15 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
All teams say no.

PHI gives up an expiring in Hawes for a more expensive two year deal in Perk for 3 second rounders. NO.

BOS gives up the best player by far long-term if he returns to form next year and 3 second rounders for a young prospect and a back-up center. We get cap with no realistic target to spend it on. NO.  If the Cs trade Rondo, it will be when he re-establishes his value.

OKC gets Rondo who for 2013-14 at least is a much lesser player than Williams, thereby reducing its 2014 playoff chances significantly. NO.

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 10:37:51 PM »

Offline twistedrico14

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 8
The Celtics would be trading away the best player in the deal and not getting enough value in return. No thank you.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 11:40:58 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
I'm sorry, but this trade makes no sense at all.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 12:22:09 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
All teams say no.

PHI gives up an expiring in Hawes for a more expensive two year deal in Perk for 3 second rounders. NO.

BOS gives up the best player by far long-term if he returns to form next year and 3 second rounders for a young prospect and a back-up center. We get cap with no realistic target to spend it on. NO.  If the Cs trade Rondo, it will be when he re-establishes his value.

OKC gets Rondo who for 2013-14 at least is a much lesser player than Williams, thereby reducing its 2014 playoff chances significantly. NO.

Admittedly I rushed this post because I was trying to get to work. Couple revisions I'd make: The s&t with Hawes would be a Keith Bogans situation in which they re-sign him for guaranteed $$ the first year (around what he's making now), then make the last two non-guaranteed. That makes Hawes' deal an expiring going into the summer of 2015. Can't see Hawes turning that down; he won't get what he's making now on the open market.

Change the 2014 OKC first rounder to OKC's first rounder next year and instead of giving PHI the 2014 BKN second rounder and their 2015 pick that we have, just give them their 2015 pick. That fixes the draft problem (trading for the guy the other team selected rather than just a pick; again, was a quick solution as I was trying to get out the door).

Still have some problems with what you said though, you must not have read my full post. I said that I would do this deal in the summer, which means that Hawes would be an expiring based on the scenario I proposed a couple paragraphs above, but it also means that Perk would be an expiring. After this year he has next year left on his contract. It also means that Rondo would have the rest of his season to build up his value, which you complained about.

As for Philly, they're not getting three second rounders. They're swapping expirings and getting their 2015 first rounder back. To them, that pick is a first rounder no matter what. All it means is that they won't have to give it up as a first or two seconds, but as long as it's their hands it will remain a first.

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 12:26:25 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

This.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:44 AM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141

This.

Agreed.

There might be some good ideas behind it, but suggesting a trade given that Rondo does not sign as a FA in 2015 is like playing around with an alternate reality. And where does Westbrook belong in this version of the future?

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:48 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
Since people are so against this trade I would just like to voice why I felt this was a good deal for the Celts. Certainly we're all wrong from time to time and it looks like the jury has spoken but I think it's necessary to state my motivations for proposing this.

Remember that in the OP I stated that it was assumed Rondo would turn down the 3yr/45mil contract Danny could offer him this season. This forum has some posters that have stated they wouldn't be against exploring the trade market for Rondo if he turned that deal down. They are not crazy for thinking that's a reasonable course of action.

That being said, if you're a seller for Rondo rather than purely remaining neutral, you're not getting Tony Parker and a top five pick back. Fans on this site are far too high on Rondo and have been for a while. Even when Rajon Rondo is healthy he's NOT a consensus top three point guard in this league and certainly not a consensus top ten player. He's also coming off a major knee surgery and given that he gave Danny a discount on his last deal, he'll be looking for max money as a 29/30 year old guy. He's most definitely an attractive piece and has the ability to push a team over the top. That doesn't mean every GM thinks he can be the primary option on a championship contender.

All of that being said, the best return you can look for Rondo is: a young prospect, an expiring, a pick. Reggie Jackson is in my opinion a top three prospect in the league right now. There are a number of people around the league that see him as the next Bledsoe or Harden. Spencer Hawes has his flaws but in this deal (if you also read my other comments a few posts above this) he'd be an expiring as well. By taking him in instead of Perk, our net intake would be about $4-5 million less than it would be if we were to just keep Rondo. It gives us both short-term and long-term flexibility. The pick from OKC is another first rounder for us in the 2015 draft (again, read my post above for the revisions I made; that's three for 2015).

I understand the idea of trading Rondo around here is still volatile. I am not saying to trade him just to trade him. I completely agree with the consensus among Cs fans that if we're to trade him, we should at least try to extend him this summer first (I stated we would in the OP) and let him bring his value up by playing out the rest of the season (also stated in the OP). There will still be a number of you that disagree with this deal and that's fair, but a lot of the rebuttals being posted are based on false premises.

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 04:29:50 AM »

Offline AidaCelt

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 13
SO we give up an all-NBA, pass first, 2-way PG for a bag of salty chips?
Reggie Jax has played well in his limited time since starting due to Westbrook's injury... essentially though, it's him for Rondo. Hawes would not be in a playoff rotation for a championship caliber team and the draft pick is useless (given OKC will be top 2-3 in the west).
I can't say no quick enough
Expectations, Execution, No Excuses