Author Topic: SAC/BOS trade at the draft…  (Read 6166 times)

Re: SAC/BOS trade at the draft…
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I am definitely in the 'keep Rondo' camp, but this is a deal you have to do. Thomas is having a break out year, McLemore was once thought to be the first pick of this year's draft and you also possibly get one of Wiggins, Parker, Embiid.

I don't want to trade Rondo. I truly believe we have the assets to put together the third best team in the east (while hanging on to other assets), but you almost have to do this...

This trade deadline and next offseason is going to be a roller coaster.

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2014, 04:33:54 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Celtics say yes , sac says no.
agree!!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2014, 05:12:41 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Of all the teams that would trade for Rondo, Sacramento would do it. They have Cousins (and Gay at the moment) and they need a legitimate All Star player to get to that next level in the Western conference. Even if they don't keep Gay, having Rondo and Cousins would be a huge free agent attraction and Rondo's jersey sales and marketability hasn't even been mentioned and how valuable that would be to a franchise like the Kings in California.

This is basically identical to a trade proposal I've made a couple of times except Isaiah Thomas is a restricted free agent so maybe ask for a 2nd rounder or something instead.

-SAC 2014 unprotected first round pick. (Top 5 draft night swap)
-Mclemore
-Salary filler
-future 2nd rounder

for

-Rondo
-Faverani
-Clippers 2015 pick.

Leaves us with a fresh rebuild with
*Our own 2014 pick top 5
*SAC 2014 pick (hopefully top 5)
*Sully
*Olynyk
*Mclemore

If we don't bag Ebmiid at number 1, we get Jabari and either Exum or Smart (depending if we think Mclemore we blossom eventually) and build around Jabari, Exum/Mclemore and Sully.

Only problem with this is that the Kings may just think if they take Marcus Smart they'll be getting a younger Rondo who could be better overall anyway.
I still think they take Rondo.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
I believe Sacramento can't trade us their 2014 pick. It's owed to someone else first once getting past the obvious protections.

I believe this is why the OP is suggesting to do it on draft night instead of now.

Then, Sacramento won't be dealing their first round pick. Assuming it is not conveyed, they will be selecting a player of Danny's choosing and sending him in the package.

I believe just making the selection satisfies the Stepien rule and they don't actually have to keep the player they draft with the #1 pick.

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I believe Sacramento can't trade us their 2014 pick. It's owed to someone else first once getting past the obvious protections.

I believe this is why the OP is suggesting to do it on draft night instead of now.

Then, Sacramento won't be dealing their first round pick. Assuming it is not conveyed, they will be selecting a player of Danny's choosing and sending him in the package.

I believe just making the selection satisfies the Stepien rule and they don't actually have to keep the player they draft with the #1 pick.

That's right.

Another way we could swing it even before the draft is for us to get their 2014 if it falls in 1-14, and stipulate that in that event we send them a 2015 1st (Clips). This would still leave them in compliance with the Stepien rule.

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

However, by waiting until draft night, Thomas would be ineligible to be traded, as he is a restricted free agent.

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 06:51:01 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I thought that Sac would definitely be interested in Rondo but now I doubt they'd do it. Thomas is playing out of his mind and he's younger than Rondo.

If I were Sac I'd keep the pick or deal it for something other than a PG.

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 07:22:09 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
There is no chance that Sacramento would even consider that trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip