Author Topic: SAC/BOS trade at the draft…  (Read 6162 times)

SAC/BOS trade at the draft…
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »

Offline ab9515

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
The only way I see the C"s trading away Rondo is if they get a top 5 pick for him during this year's draft.  Let's hear your thoughts on the following:

To SAC: Rondo
TO BOS: Mclemore, Thomas, Thornton, 2014 1st round pick (top 5), right to switch 2015 1st round pick(Clippers pick).

This satisfies the CBA requirements.  SAC gets their 3rd piece to go with Cousins and Gay, they want to start winning now with their new ownership etc.  For the C's, they are getting two (potential) cornerstones and the #7 pick form last years draft.  Thomas will be an RFA, so we can see how he plays out (undersized, OK D, but great offensive game).  Thornton will have an expiring contract, so he can be used a chip at the 2015 deadline or just provide salary relief after the season.

Re: SAC/BOS trade at the draft…
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this came up in another thread -- almost the same deal.  still wouldn't do it.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 10:23:01 AM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Can Thomas be traded in that case? He's an RFA this summer, not next.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 10:45:03 AM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
The only way I see the C"s trading away Rondo is if they get a top 5 pick for him during this year's draft.  Let's hear your thoughts on the following:

To SAC: Rondo
TO BOS: Mclemore, Thomas, Thornton, 2014 1st round pick (top 5), right to switch 2015 1st round pick(Clippers pick).

This satisfies the CBA requirements.  SAC gets their 3rd piece to go with Cousins and Gay, they want to start winning now with their new ownership etc.  For the C's, they are getting two (potential) cornerstones and the #7 pick form last years draft.  Thomas will be an RFA, so we can see how he plays out (undersized, OK D, but great offensive game).  Thornton will have an expiring contract, so he can be used a chip at the 2015 deadline or just provide salary relief after the season.

I'd only do it if either our pick or their pick was a top 3 and Wiggins/parker/embiid all declared. Then I'd draft one of those 3 and pair him with Exum.

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »

Offline Dog_Lover106

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 12
this came up in another thread -- almost the same deal.  still wouldn't do it.
Neither would Sacramento

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Lose a cornerstone for only the opportunity to get a cornerstone. Easily could backfire if the pick is not top-5. No thanks.

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
This is super tempting. I probably would and the scary part is Danny definitely would. Sacramento would be dumb to make the trade.

Lose a cornerstone for only the opportunity to get a cornerstone. Easily could backfire if the pick is not top-5. No thanks.

The assumption you're working on is that the pick is top-5. At least that is how I read it.

The "cornerstone" difference is 8-9 years of age and contracts. Rondo will be 28 this year and a rookie out of college will be 19-20. It's also a salary distinction of max or near max money vs rookie wage scale. That difference will end up being about $12-15 million. Sacramento wouldn't make this deal. They're giving up a promising PG in Thomas, their #1 pick last year and their top-5 pick in a loaded draft for a flawed all-star PG with recent knee surgery. I doubt any GM makes that move unless they are on a time table for winning. Sacramento isn't. They signed Cousins long-term. They really have no reason to rush their rebuild.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
With a top 5 pick, I'm pretty sure Ainge would do it.

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Celtics say yes , sac says no.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 01:56:35 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Pretty sure this is Bill Simmons idea from his nba preview, said they'd trade Rondo to kings for 2 1st's and all those guards.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 02:17:45 PM »

Offline celty86

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 5
I believe Sacramento can't trade us their 2014 pick. It's owed to someone else first once getting past the obvious protections.

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 02:34:52 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
I believe Sacramento can't trade us their 2014 pick. It's owed to someone else first once getting past the obvious protections.

Not sure where you see that the Kings owe someone their 2014 first rounder, because I do NOT see that, but I could be wrong.

http://nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »

Offline ScubaSteve

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1

Not sure where you see that the Kings owe someone their 2014 first rounder, because I do NOT see that, but I could be wrong.

Smitty77

They traded their pick this year but it is lottery protected so they cannot trade the pick they can only trade the right to swap it.

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 03:26:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Smitty77

Here it is with the listed protections...

2014 first round draft pick to Chicago
Sacramento's 1st round pick to Chicago (via Cleveland) protected for selections 1-12 in 2014, 1-10 in 2015, 1-10 in 2016 or 1-10 in 2017; if Sacramento has not conveyed a 1st round pick to Chicago by 2017, then Sacramento will instead convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Chicago protected for selections 56-60 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Sacramento's obligation to Chicago will be extinguished) [Cleveland- Sacramento, 6/30/2011 and then Chicago-Cleveland, 1/7/2014]

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 03:33:22 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

The thing is the current cornerstone is nearing 30, coming off knee surgery, and set to command max, or near max, money. In this deal we'd be getting McLemore (still only 20) and a very high pick in this year's draft, with both players under their rookie scale contracts for several seasons. Not to mention the cap space this generates and the ability to swap picks next year, as the OP suggested.

It's a no-brainer, really.