Author Topic: Can we take advantage of the Knicks desperation? If so, how?  (Read 7661 times)

Re: Can we take advantage of the Knicks desperation? If so, how?
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think something like

Wallace, Bass, Faverani

for

Stoudemire

is the type of trade New York would do and Boston very well might do. 

New York shaves some salary this year and next year, but adds the Wallace third year, and gets three healthy players for one "unhealthy" player. 

Boston gets one less year of Wallace and would thus be a major player in the 2015 free agent market (i.e. 2 max contract players).  And for all of Amare's flaws, he is at least an interesting big man for the team (who has been able to play at least ok back up big man minutes).

Not sure I do it if I'm Boston, but I would at least think about it.

Would like to get at least one of Schump/Hardaway for our troubles.
They would argue it is there trouble of taking on Wallace.  Works both ways after all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 04:23:22 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I don't know if it is right or wrong, but my gut instinct is to do this trade instantaneously. No hesitation.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 04:24:55 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I imagine getting Shumpert wouldn't be too hard, if you're willing to give up a 1st.  Whether or not that's worth doing is another matter.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 04:57:02 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kd4j5tz

this is a crazy 4 team deal but it may work for everyone

Cs get Stoudemire, Leonard, Aldrich (release), Crabbe OKC 2014 first

Knicks get Wallace, Green, Sefolosha and Claver

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

Cs, take on terrible contract for 2 year to dump wallace for 3. Leonard and Crabbe have potential. OKCs first adds to the pile of firsts DA is collecting. This deal opens up a ton of cap room for summer of 2015.

Knicks, they can field a  starting lineup of Chandler, Green, Melo, Sef, and Felton. Green versatility should fit well with melo. Both Sefolosha and Green are better perimeter defenders then melo so they will hide his defensive liabilities. 

OKC, upgrade to a young and still cheap SG to pair with Lamb in their rotation.

Blazers, dont lose a rotational player but gain their much needed 3rd big man

ps sorry for the hijack

OKC is essentially paying a first rounder for Shumpert - his play this season probably isn't worth that. Remember, OKC highly values draft picks more than most other organizations.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I imagine getting Shumpert wouldn't be too hard, if you're willing to give up a 1st.  Whether or not that's worth doing is another matter.

I'd rather not give up any 1sts for potentially damaged goods in Schump. He had a serious injury last year.

I can't imagine Dolan not feeling like this season and Melo are both slipping away. I also can't see him sitting on his hands and doing nothing. That's not in his nature.
He's gotta be vulnerable here. No?

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 05:17:18 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Does my heart good to see nobody is suggesting trading for the snitchster.

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 05:26:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

Cs, take on terrible contract for 2 year to dump wallace for 3. Leonard and Crabbe have potential. OKCs first adds to the pile of firsts DA is collecting. This deal opens up a ton of cap room for summer of 2015.

Knicks, they can field a  starting lineup of Chandler, Green, Melo, Sef, and Felton. Green versatility should fit well with melo. Both Sefolosha and Green are better perimeter defenders then melo so they will hide his defensive liabilities. 

ps sorry for the hijack

OKC is essentially paying a first rounder for Shumpert - his play this season probably isn't worth that. Remember, OKC highly values draft picks more than most other organizations.

Yup, and that cheapness is very likely to keep them from winning a title.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:56 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
Only if Durant leaves, imo; he's already insanely good and he just turned 25.  If he keeps improving at this rate - along with Westbrook - I can see them becoming an unstoppable duo for years to come.

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:43 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

ps sorry for the hijack

They do value picks but a late rd 1st for a 23 year old SG who can step right in and play for them is a good deal. Not to mention next year he makes around 2.5mill so would be cheaper then resigning Sefolosha.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2014, 05:35:42 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

ps sorry for the hijack

They do value picks but a late rd 1st for a 23 year old SG who can step right in and play for them is a good deal. Not to mention next year he makes around 2.5mill so would be cheaper then resigning Sefolosha.

I don't agree; he hasn't shown anything to be worthy of a first-rounder this season, even a late one.  In comparison, Luol Deng has had a far more productive career and a better season than Shumpert, yet Chicago might not even get a first-rounder in return for trading him.  He's been extremely streaky with scoring (much like Sefolosha this year) with several 0-point games this year, despite starting every game he's played.  Even his vaunted defense has slipped considerably.  He's a second-round pick return kind of player right now, especially since the whole league has known he's been available since the start of the season.

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2014, 05:41:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Only if Durant leaves, imo; he's already insanely good and he just turned 25.  If he keeps improving at this rate - along with Westbrook - I can see them becoming an unstoppable duo for years to come.

Maybe if everything breaks right and/or Scott Brookes figures out how to add nuance to an offense.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2014, 06:00:28 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
how bout humphries + philly's protected first rounder for tim hardaway jr + bargnani + 2018 unprotected first rounder?

« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2014, 06:13:03 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
So you think Knicks' mgt is that stupid?

well, I do think we'd have to tell 'em "that it's a good deal...we swear"

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'm ainge I call and say looks like you'll be blowing up your team this year or next, loosing Carmelo and you are buried in bad contracts.
What do you want for chandler. Big period.  When they come up with a stupid trade, hang up.  At trade deadline call back, repeat.  Offseason do the same thing.  Ainge can be as patient as need be, chandler is the guy we'd want
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:42:55 PM by 2short »