Author Topic: Can we take advantage of the Knicks desperation? If so, how?  (Read 7660 times)

Can we take advantage of the Knicks desperation? If so, how?
« on: January 24, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Things seem to be getting even more desperate at MSG, if that's possible this year.

The Knicks are down to 3 bigs now with Bargs out for several weeks: Chandler, Tyler and Aldrich, and Chandler isn't 100%, missing practice yesterday "resting".

How about something like this:

Bos gets: Schumpert, Hardaway and Bargnani

Knicks get Bass and Wallace.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lbk6o2o

Gives Knicks immediate frontcourt help and a Melo backup. We get two young talents, and Bargs contract hurts less than Wallaces.

Could it work?

Re: Can we take advantage of the Knicks desperation? If so, how?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 02:33:25 PM »

Offline oldutican

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
So you think Knicks' mgt is that stupid?

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 02:44:06 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
So you think Knicks' mgt is that stupid?

Wouldn't put it past them

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 02:54:27 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 02:56:01 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
That deal leaves the Knicks with basically just JR at the 2.  Don't think they'd go for that.

Something like Bass/Wallace/Fav for Bargnani/either Shump or Hardaway/MWP seems more likely.  They drop some of their dead weight and get a major boost to their frontcourt depth in exchange for one of their young SGs and taking on more salary.  We get a prospect at a very thin position, cut salary, and pick up one big + one small 2015 expiring.  And Metta might well pass on his player option and expire this year.

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 02:59:57 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
it will be very interesting to see how the Knicks handle their mess. Really their core right now is Melo and Chandler. If you take those two out of the picutre they have $37 mill in terrible contracts that will cost them assets to move (Amare,Bargs, Smith). They don't have any trade able draft picks for a few years and their only players assets are Shumpert and Hardaway.

They will have to decide if a trade like the one in this post is worth the long term cap hit to try to win now, do they run out the terrible contracts and try to retain melo, or do they ship melo out and go full rebuild?????

What a mess
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
They weren't willing to trade either Shumpert or Hardaway for Lowry (who would've been an immediate upgrade over Felton), but you think the Celtics would be able to dump Wallace and Bass on them while prying both of those guys away?  As stupid as Dolan has been, that's not happening.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 03:33:20 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kd4j5tz

this is a crazy 4 team deal but it may work for everyone

Cs get Stoudemire, Leonard, Aldrich (release), Crabbe OKC 2014 first

Knicks get Wallace, Green, Sefolosha and Claver

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

Cs, take on terrible contract for 2 year to dump wallace for 3. Leonard and Crabbe have potential. OKCs first adds to the pile of firsts DA is collecting. This deal opens up a ton of cap room for summer of 2015.

Knicks, they can field a  starting lineup of Chandler, Green, Melo, Sef, and Felton. Green versatility should fit well with melo. Both Sefolosha and Green are better perimeter defenders then melo so they will hide his defensive liabilities. 

OKC, upgrade to a young and still cheap SG to pair with Lamb in their rotation.

Blazers, dont lose a rotational player but gain their much needed 3rd big man

ps sorry for the hijack
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 03:52:12 PM »

Offline Gordon Blau

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

Cs, take on terrible contract for 2 year to dump wallace for 3. Leonard and Crabbe have potential. OKCs first adds to the pile of firsts DA is collecting. This deal opens up a ton of cap room for summer of 2015.

Knicks, they can field a  starting lineup of Chandler, Green, Melo, Sef, and Felton. Green versatility should fit well with melo. Both Sefolosha and Green are better perimeter defenders then melo so they will hide his defensive liabilities. 

ps sorry for the hijack

yeah, Boston would swap crap for  other crap on one year shorter contract (Wallace - Amare), 2x players who are interesting just because what they might be in future (we wouldn't have enough time to properly test them), cap relief +late 1st pick for our starting and secondary small forwards + Ba$$. That would leave Celts with hmm... Johnson at Sf? Not going to happen

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 03:57:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think something like

Wallace, Bass, Faverani

for

Stoudemire

is the type of trade New York would do and Boston very well might do. 

New York shaves some salary this year and next year, but adds the Wallace third year, and gets three healthy players for one "unhealthy" player. 

Boston gets one less year of Wallace and would thus be a major player in the 2015 free agent market (i.e. 2 max contract players).  And for all of Amare's flaws, he is at least an interesting big man for the team (who has been able to play at least ok back up big man minutes).

Not sure I do it if I'm Boston, but I would at least think about it.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 04:03:15 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I think something like

Wallace, Bass, Faverani

for

Stoudemire

is the type of trade New York would do and Boston very well might do. 

New York shaves some salary this year and next year, but adds the Wallace third year, and gets three healthy players for one "unhealthy" player. 

Boston gets one less year of Wallace and would thus be a major player in the 2015 free agent market (i.e. 2 max contract players).  And for all of Amare's flaws, he is at least an interesting big man for the team (who has been able to play at least ok back up big man minutes).

Not sure I do it if I'm Boston, but I would at least think about it.

Would like to get at least one of Schump/Hardaway for our troubles.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 04:05:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

ps sorry for the hijack

yeah, Boston would swap crap for  other crap on one year shorter contract (Wallace - Amare), 2x players who are interesting just because what they might be in future (we wouldn't have enough time to properly test them), cap relief +late 1st pick for our starting and secondary small forwards + Ba$$. That would leave Celts with hmm... Johnson at Sf? Not going to happen

The Cs would have Johnson and Crabbe at SF. That is not a winning combination but this season is clearly about player development and not winning. Johnson and Crabbe would have minutes to prove they belong in the league.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 04:16:13 PM »

Offline Gordon Blau

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

ps sorry for the hijack

The Cs would have Johnson and Crabbe at SF. That is not a winning combination but this season is clearly about player development and not winning. Johnson and Crabbe would have minutes to prove they belong in the league.

Ok, but how to develop our frontcourt properly, when we would get another logjam of six players (Humph, Sully, Leonard, Olynyk, Favs and Amare) able to play c/pf with two question marks at sf. Btw, didn't knew that Allen can play SF, my bad. I do belive that Green and Bass have more trade value that can be used to get us one player that would be an upgrade at one position, than just shedding sallaries.

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 04:20:39 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

OKC gets shumpert

Blazers get Bass

Why I think it works

ps sorry for the hijack

Awful trade for almost everyone involved.