Author Topic: Teams that really need Bass  (Read 4622 times)

Teams that really need Bass
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:36:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just a quick thought,

With the deadline less then a month away I was just taking a quick look at playoff teams who really need Bass.

Portland, no big who can score off the bench. They have a great G rotation and a very nice starting 5. They just need a productive bench big. Bass fits perfect both backing up LMA and playing along side him.

NO, they are at a cross roads either fight for playoffs or hope to tank for top 5. They lose their pick if not 1-5. Bass would step into starting role next to Davis. They are a running team and Basses athleticism would fit right in with their style.

Bobcats, McRoberts has started every game and averaged 30mpg, McRoberts is a better 3pt shooter and passer then Bass. But Bass is better in every other aspect. If they really want to better their team adding Bass to Mcroberts and Big AL would do it.

Houston, Jones has been playing great but their bench is thin at 4/5 especially with Asik not playing.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Teams that really need Bass
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Any one of those teams is fine with me.  Just send him packing. ;D
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:05:00 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Portland would be a great fit, in that they are very much competing, probably could use a rotation big, and are already over the salary cap next year, so Bass's contract would not prevent them from signing a free agent this summer.  Their problem is that they have no expirings to send back, and since they're a competing team, they're not going to want to send back a contributor.  It'd have to be something like Meyers Leonard, Victor Claver and Will Barton, who collectively would count almost $3.7 million against next year's cap, assuming you waived Barton in the summer.  That's only $3.2 million in cap savings, which we probably wouldn't be able to use next summer anyway, and maybe you'd get a second round pick to go with it.

So there's the problem with trading Bass.  If you trade him, you're probably going to take a contract that the other team doesn't want, and while Bass's contract isn't great, it isn't large enough to be worth not getting rid of completely, since you need all of it gone to create any significant cap room for next year.  Might as well keep him until next year.

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 09:26:46 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Just a quick thought,

With the deadline less then a month away I was just taking a quick look at playoff teams who really need Bass.

Portland, no big who can score off the bench. They have a great G rotation and a very nice starting 5. They just need a productive bench big. Bass fits perfect both backing up LMA and playing along side him.

NO, they are at a cross roads either fight for playoffs or hope to tank for top 5. They lose their pick if not 1-5. Bass would step into starting role next to Davis. They are a running team and Basses athleticism would fit right in with their style.

Bobcats, McRoberts has started every game and averaged 30mpg, McRoberts is a better 3pt shooter and passer then Bass. But Bass is better in every other aspect. If they really want to better their team adding Bass to Mcroberts and Big AL would do it.

Houston, Jones has been playing great but their bench is thin at 4/5 especially with Asik not playing.
Portland has the number 1 offense in the league, I don't think they're worried about more scoring.  Everything that Bass brings to the court, Aldridge is already doing and doing it better.  Lopez is the type of player that fits perfectly beside Aldridge.

Also, with 1 loss away from the 2nd best record, POR probably isn't all that tempted to change their team up anyway (especially just to help another team shed a contract).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Just a quick thought,

Portland has the number 1 offense in the league, I don't think they're worried about more scoring.  Everything that Bass brings to the court, Aldridge is already doing and doing it better.  Lopez is the type of player that fits perfectly beside Aldridge.

Also, with 1 loss away from the 2nd best record, POR probably isn't all that tempted to change their team up anyway (especially just to help another team shed a contract).

I'm confused what Aldridge has to do with Bass.  They are not replacing Aldridge, they need a big man off the bench, and that is what Bass would be. 

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 09:50:23 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Would any of those teams give us an expiring contract for Bass? At this point that's all i'm hoping for.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Portland
Houston
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 10:11:19 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
Portland would be a great fit, in that they are very much competing, probably could use a rotation big, and are already over the salary cap next year, so Bass's contract would not prevent them from signing a free agent this summer.  Their problem is that they have no expirings to send back, and since they're a competing team, they're not going to want to send back a contributor.  It'd have to be something like Meyers Leonard, Victor Claver and Will Barton, who collectively would count almost $3.7 million against next year's cap, assuming you waived Barton in the summer.  That's only $3.2 million in cap savings, which we probably wouldn't be able to use next summer anyway, and maybe you'd get a second round pick to go with it.

So there's the problem with trading Bass.  If you trade him, you're probably going to take a contract that the other team doesn't want, and while Bass's contract isn't great, it isn't large enough to be worth not getting rid of completely, since you need all of it gone to create any significant cap room for next year.  Might as well keep him until next year.
Cap savings and Meyers Leonard.  Sign me up.  I think Leonard could be a nice player.  He was very good as a rookie, but Portland added Lopez and Robinson this summer and Leonard got squeezed out of the rotation, but I think he still has solid talent.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 10:12:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Just a quick thought,

In a Bass deal the Cs would likely be looking at somthing like this

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=laetcz4

also would hope to get future 2nds from portland

Its not a great haul but all three players have talent and are young and cheap.

As for why portland does this, if you follow them at all you will see that they keep changing up the big man off the bench. They lack a consistent back up and while they have been great to this point as the seasons wears on this could hurt them. They will not get anywhere in the playoffs without a capable backup big man.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:20:28 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Just a quick thought,

I'm confused what Aldridge has to do with Bass.  They are not replacing Aldridge, they need a big man off the bench, and that is what Bass would be.
I didn't bring up Aldridge he did, saying Bass is a perfect fit beside him.

True, I pointed out 2 reasons I disagree, but they had little to do with my post.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:32:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Portland has the highest-ranked offense; I'd argue what they need more than anything are better defenders, since they have one of the worst defensive ratings of teams considered to be true contenders.  They're not really hurting when it comes to scoring.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:45:36 PM by Endless Paradise »

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 05:33:26 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
Just a quick thought,

I didn't bring up Aldridge he did, saying Bass is a perfect fit beside him.

True, I pointed out 2 reasons I disagree, but they had little to do with my post.

My point is Bass can play along side LMA or Lopez. LMA cant play the whole game.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 06:15:56 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Portland
Houston
Washington
Cleveland
Detroit
Okafor is w Washington correct.  Hmmmmm

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 06:18:56 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Just a quick thought,

My fear with NO is somehow ending up with Rivers tossed in in return. The Bobcats are really tempting.

I could actually envision the Bobcats looking to get in on a Rondo trade, however.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:26:42 PM by clover »

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 06:43:22 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Heat could use Bass. Too bad they don't have any expirings to offer.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)