Author Topic: 2014 nfl draft  (Read 3323 times)

2014 nfl draft
« on: January 23, 2014, 08:35:40 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Didn't see a thread so I started one.  Saw a report today that Houston may be interested in Mallett for their second.  This would allow them to draft Clowney and Mallett.  It's an interesting concept, trade for a guy who has been studying TB12 and was around with Bill Obrien. 

Everyone is saying pats go TE in the first.  I don't think so, I look for them to trade out again and pick up another two and three, giving them three 2's and two 3's.  I then look OL with their first pick.  They have to shore it up, too much pressure on TB12.  I think they'll draft a TE, maybe with one of the twos.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Re: 2014 nfl draft
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 08:46:54 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I hate the whole trading down philosophy, especially since it hasn't been anymore successful than just picking in the first. I mean, so many picks and so few top tier players is why the defense suffers so much when Talib is out.

The defense has enough role players, they need some studs on both sides of the ball.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:16:15 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Its really hard to say what the Pats will do in the draft this year, without having seen what happens in FA.

I think they do select a TE, though. That's one of the team's biggest needs that is unlikely to be addressed via FA.

Will they trade down? I don't know. They traded up for Chandler Jones a couple years ago, they traded down last year and the results from that trade (Collins, Ryan, Boyce -- Blount, arguably)  seem pretty good so far. But I don't think BB goes in thinking "I'll trade down". He goes in thinking he'll see how much value he can get with a draft pick, either by trading up with it, by using it, or by trading down with it.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:21:32 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
They should go after tony gonzalez and see if hell play for one more year

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:37:00 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Yeah, I had a similar thought. Isn't he under contract with Atlanta for another year, though? If he was cut by Atlanta then it would make a ton of sense.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:10:02 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86

Not going to happen. Gonzo is gone from football. He said at the pro bowl he's at peace with retiring 

Would this be better?

According to an "individual" CSN New England's Tom Curran believes "without reservation," the Patriots were interested in acquiring Larry Fitzgerald last offseason.

Could happen this offseason or during the draft.  Also depends on the asking price too
And if the deal were to go down i am sure fitzy would redo his contract

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:17:00 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

Not going to happen. Gonzo is gone from football. He said at the pro bowl he's at peace with retiring 

Would this be better?

According to an "individual" CSN New England's Tom Curran believes "without reservation," the Patriots were interested in acquiring Larry Fitzgerald last offseason.

Could happen this offseason or during the draft.  Also depends on the asking price too
And if the deal were to go down i am sure fitzy would redo his contract

Arizona might do it, in order to give them more cap room (I think they are right up against the cap). The two big questions are whether Larry restructures and what the Cardinals want in return. There's no question it would take a first round pick from the Patriots, and on top of that Larry, even with a reworked contract, would eat into the available cap space that the Pats have to work with, meaning the Pats wouldn't be able to go after other FAs like Edelman or Eric Decker.

As an example of the tradeoff for the Patriots, it would be something like: first round draft pick (let's say Tight End) + Eric Decker (who they no longer have room to sign) or Larry Fitzgerald?

I'm not convinced I'd take the latter.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
if the pats go FA route on a WR, i'd like to see them make a play for boldin.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."