Author Topic: 11.9% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today  (Read 79746 times)

Re: 11.9% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2014, 07:39:35 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
If current rosters/lineups stay the same it will be tough to outtank the Lakers. They are in a tougher conference and are generally less competitive in their games than the Celtics.

The Lakers do have a stretch in March where they face the Magic and Knicks at home and the Bucks on the road. If they manage to win all 3 and the Celtics don't win too many of their dates against the Sixers (2 more), Pistons (2 more) or Knicks/Cavs/Hawks/Pelicans (one each) then there's a chance. The Celtics really can't afford occasionally winning against the mediocre teams though (e.g. Nets, Raptors, Bulls, Wizards).

The two Sixers games are the worst. The way they're tanking those games look like automatic wins for Boston.
agreed. philly is seriously trying to run the board and finish the season with zero more wins. and honestly, they may do it. they are beyond putrid right now. i think even the most ardent philly tanker-fans are embarrassed at this point.

the best the celtics can really hope for is probably to be where they are right now, 4th worst place.

the team does not need to pick up 2-3 meaningless wins against mediocre teams. last time i checked only 1 game separates the celtics from 4 other teams just behind them. it will be a photo finish for the the #4 slot.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2014, 08:07:26 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
If current rosters/lineups stay the same it will be tough to outtank the Lakers. They are in a tougher conference and are generally less competitive in their games than the Celtics.

The Lakers do have a stretch in March where they face the Magic and Knicks at home and the Bucks on the road. If they manage to win all 3 and the Celtics don't win too many of their dates against the Sixers (2 more), Pistons (2 more) or Knicks/Cavs/Hawks/Pelicans (one each) then there's a chance. The Celtics really can't afford occasionally winning against the mediocre teams though (e.g. Nets, Raptors, Bulls, Wizards).

The two Sixers games are the worst. The way they're tanking those games look like automatic wins for Boston.
agreed. philly is seriously trying to run the board and finish the season with zero more wins. and honestly, they may do it. they are beyond putrid right now. i think even the most ardent philly tanker-fans are embarrassed at this point.

the best the celtics can really hope for is probably to be where they are right now, 4th worst place.

the team does not need to pick up 2-3 meaningless wins against mediocre teams. last time i checked only 1 game separates the celtics from 4 other teams just behind them. it will be a photo finish for the the #4 slot.

I could be wrong but I believe almost all the other teams own the tiebreakers against us so it's almost like 1 and a half. Meaning if we tied with them record wise we'd still be ahead in the lottery.

« Reply #287 on: March 05, 2014, 09:20:38 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Tie-breakers don't matter in the lottery.

What happens is the ping pong balls are split evenly among the teams tied with a coin flip just determining who gets the leftover ping-pong ball(s) if the total sum being divided among tied teams has a remainder.

« Reply #288 on: March 05, 2014, 10:22:54 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

What happens is the ping pong balls are split evenly among the teams tied with a coin flip just determining who gets the leftover ping-pong ball(s) if the total sum being divided among tied teams has a remainder.

Also, I believe that coin flip decides who picks first in the event that neither team finishes in the top 3 of the lottery.  (Some coin flip does -- don't know if they only flip once, or flip twice).

« Reply #289 on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Also, I believe that coin flip decides who picks first in the event that neither team finishes in the top 3 of the lottery.  (Some coin flip does -- don't know if they only flip once, or flip twice).
Yup that's the reason the coin flip is a big deal, the extra ping pong ball doesn't matter much at all. But the extra slot does.

« Reply #290 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Keep those losses coming, boys.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #291 on: March 05, 2014, 10:56:34 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
starting to think #5 is in our future.  Orlando is playing better and could very well pass us for a better record but the Lakers and Knicks are playing so poorly they could very well end up with worse records than us

« Reply #292 on: March 05, 2014, 11:41:13 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I was wondering yesterday if a team with very low odds ever got the first pick. I looked it up and it was the Magic in 93.
They got the first pick with 1 in 66 chances (1.5%)!

hope for the best for us!!!

« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2014, 11:42:12 AM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I was wondering yesterday if a team with very low odds ever got the first pick. I looked it up and it was the Magic in 93.

Bulls with Rose - I believe they had the 8th worst record? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...

« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2014, 12:01:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Bulls with Rose - I believe they had the 8th worst record? I could be wrong, but I thought I read that somewhere...

9th. Chicago had a 1.7% chance of picking first.
http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nba/columns/story?id=6568064
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2014, 02:40:14 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
starting to think #5 is in our future.  Orlando is playing better and could very well pass us for a better record but the Lakers and Knicks are playing so poorly they could very well end up with worse records than us

I'd be okay with #5, as long as we get Exum, Smart, or Vonleh rather than Randle.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2014, 10:30:41 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Tankers rejoice! Another loss tonight be the Celtics, who have only won 5 games against winning teams all season.

The knicks won against the wolves. The kings beat the Bucks. We are finally starting to get some seperation. That's 3 tank wins in one night!

Now we need the lakers to channel their inner Kobe and Mamba the Clippers off the floor tomorrow night! yeah... That's not happening.

« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Parkers Duke lost to an unseeded Wake Forest tonight.

Parker had a decent game shooting 7-11, 19 pts, 10 rebounds but another so so defensive game.  Also i'am not sure about his capabilities in the clutch. Tonight was a perfect game for him to take over and lead a comeback.  For a prospect like him, i have seen very few clutch performances so far

TJ Warren has been much more clutch this season

« Reply #298 on: March 05, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Parker had a decent game shooting 7-11, 19 pts, 10 rebounds but another so so defensive game.  Also i'am not sure about his capabilities in the clutch. Tonight was a perfect game for him to take over and lead a comeback.  For a prospect like him, i have seen very few clutch performances so far

7-11 is a "decent" shooting game? I guess 11-11 would've been more impressive....

TJ Warren is having a nice Linsanity-like run but if a team does draft him before the 20's, they're reaching.

Careful there triboy, your bias is showing.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #299 on: March 05, 2014, 11:43:52 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

7-11 is a "decent" shooting game? I guess 11-11 would've been more impressive....

TJ Warren is having a nice Linsanity-like run but if a team does draft him before the 20's, they're reaching.

Careful there triboy, your bias is showing.

Naw I think your the bias one. And like many over hyping this kid. A super prospect should be able to carry his team over an unseeded team. At least a few times

List some games this season where he literally carried his team onto a win.

This is why Danny is not excited. At least wiggins has had a few clutch games vs duke as one of them and embiids excuse is that he is a center and is still new to the game. Whats parkers excuse?