Author Topic: 11.9% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today  (Read 79889 times)

Re: 15.6% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today
« Reply #255 on: January 31, 2014, 04:08:16 PM »

Offline The Rondo Show

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 364
  • Hook 'Em
Anything top 4 would be just fine with me
DKC Suns

« Reply #256 on: January 31, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I've only seen the highlight reels and scouting vids, so take this with a grain of salt.  To me, Grant looks like Shawn Kemp.  Incredibly explosive, but raw.  We've seen a lot of these hyper-athletic guys come and go in the last 10 years.

Take a look at this and tell me if Grant is as raw as you think. It's not all about spetacular dunks/blocks.  Once he refines his game, he is going to be real good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQFSt4LOs3c

(time on youtube)
9:14 Grant makes a long jump shot
13:40 two dribble layup in traffic (going to be hard to defend)
15:41 defensive rebound
18:30 two dribble layup attempt, but fouled.
22:22 again fouled
23:29 block shot
25:43 drive and pass
29:00 baseline jumper.

Doesn't play over his head (doesn't turnover the ball much) and doesn't get enough touches.  He is not going to be easy to stop one on one once he hones his skills. Jumps so quickly off the ground, has an oustanding first step and length

Nick I would like to hear your comment about the plays above. Do you not agree grant has a developing perimeter game? He is not leon powe thats for sure

« Reply #257 on: January 31, 2014, 04:31:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I've only seen the highlight reels and scouting vids, so take this with a grain of salt.  To me, Grant looks like Shawn Kemp.  Incredibly explosive, but raw.  We've seen a lot of these hyper-athletic guys come and go in the last 10 years.

Take a look at this and tell me if Grant is as raw as you think. It's not all about spetacular dunks/blocks.  Once he refines his game, he is going to be real good

(time on youtube)

Doesn't play over his head (doesn't turnover the ball much) and doesn't get enough touches.  He is not going to be easy to stop one on one once he hones his skills. Jumps so quickly off the ground, has an oustanding first step and length

Nick I would like to hear your comment about the plays above. Do you not agree grant has a developing perimeter game? He is not leon powe thats for sure
No I don't agree with that. He hit one jumper. He missed two others in that game.

His balance on his shot leans a bit backward and his shot is all over the place because his arms tend to go up too much when shooting instead of out a bit more. Watch where his release point is. That shot needs a lot of work.

He is most effective playing in the paint but he only has the size to be a SF in the pros. He's crazy athletic and comes from great genes but I just don't see him being a top pick this year. He will wow at the draft combine on the physical skills part but his game is lacking because he is really too small and thin for the position he is best suited to play.

If he had three point range and could consistently hit that 15-18 shot, then he would be a top 5-15 player to be drafted but IMHO, without those things, he falls into the early 20s.

« Reply #258 on: January 31, 2014, 04:39:16 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

(time on youtube)

Just curious, would you take Grant over Parker?

It's strange how you're harping about athleticism and above the rim play but just last offseason, you were one of the biggest KO supporters out there, saying practically the opposite of what you're saying on this thread.
- LilRip

« Reply #259 on: February 05, 2014, 08:46:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
tonight's game with Philly has a significant impact --> we lose, we tie Philly with the 3rd worst record and I'm not sure if there's tiebreakers used (or a coin flip) but Philly beats us in the case of tiebreakers.

If we win, we could vault past 4 other teams a half game ahead of us and end up with the 8th worst record.

« Reply #260 on: February 05, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
tonight's game with Philly has a significant impact --> we lose, we tie Philly with the 3rd worst record and I'm not sure if there's tiebreakers used (or a coin flip) but Philly beats us in the case of tiebreakers.

If we win, we could vault past 4 other teams a half game ahead of us and end up with the 8th worst record.
well, being 8th worse sounds craptastic to me. gooooooo celtics...for 3 and 1/2 quarters. then snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.  :P

geez, sometimes this season makes it hard to know how to root for the celtics.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #261 on: February 05, 2014, 09:22:17 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

If there's a tie for teams in the lottery, we split equally the lottery balls of the respective slots (so if we tied Philly for third-worst, we'd split the 156 balls from finishing third and the 119 from finishing fourth (275 total).  You'll notice that's an odd number, so there would be a coin flip to determine who received the extra chance.  The coin flip also determines who would pick earlier in the event that neither team won the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd picks in the lottery.

« Reply #262 on: February 05, 2014, 01:01:27 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

Every game has the same impact, except of course when playing teams we are competing against.  But there is still a long way.

« Reply #263 on: February 05, 2014, 01:17:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

If there's a tie for teams in the lottery, we split equally the lottery balls of the respective slots (so if we tied Philly for third-worst, we'd split the 156 balls from finishing third and the 119 from finishing fourth (275 total).  You'll notice that's an odd number, so there would be a coin flip to determine who received the extra chance.  The coin flip also determines who would pick earlier in the event that neither team won the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd picks in the lottery.
thanks for the clarification

« Reply #264 on: February 05, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I'd be happy wIth Embiid, Parker, Exum, and Wiggins... Anyone other than those four players Will be disappointing. I think these are the 4 perennial all stars in the draft. Smart and Randle aren't going to bee that good and Vonleh is too raw. The draft has a very strong top 4 and after that the talent level is very even from 5-14 and 15-30. Very deep draft but only have 4 guys that have a good chance of becoming potential all stars

« Reply #265 on: February 06, 2014, 09:25:01 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
now in the 6th spot after the Philly win and could be in 8th if we beat Sacramento Friday night. 

starting to look like spots 2-10 are going to be a dogfight (or I guess with teams this bad, a pillow fight) jockeying for position where even a 3-game winning streak can put a team at the tail end of the draft positioning.

Re: 6.3% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2014, 09:58:04 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
As I've said in the past, a top 5 pick would be awesome, but I'll be happy with a top 10 pick.

There are plenty of talented players in this draft and we already have some decent talent on the team. A top 5 pick could get us a potential MVP candidate but I think Danny can find an All-Star in the top 10.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
As I've said in the past, a top 5 pick would be awesome, but I'll be happy with a top 10 pick.

There are plenty of talented players in this draft and we already have some decent talent on the team. A top 5 pick could get us a potential MVP candidate but I think Danny can find an All-Star in the top 10.

This is the thread of overreaction and hyperbole statements.

Get outta her with that realistic rationale thinking Pho.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #268 on: February 06, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVN7L0ik4j0

If we get 7-12 i hope danny considers Grant.

Kid has so much upside

« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
Grant reminds me of Jeff Green....
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird