Author Topic: 11.9% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today  (Read 79920 times)

11.9% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:34:05 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
If we keep losing, we'll keep climbing

if you use the ESPN mock draft generator, we win a good amount of times. They think we pick jabari with the first pick.

http://espn.go.com/nba/lottery2014/mockdraft
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:32:20 PM by lightspeed5 »

Re: 8.8% chance of winning the draft lottery as of today
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »

Online kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
and thankfully in this draft there are several potential stars in the first ten picks. if we finish bottom-5 then we'll get a top-6 pick for sure. we're in great shape for a rebuild considering we were just contending a short hwhile ago.

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 02:56:48 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
and thankfully in this draft there are several potential stars in the first ten picks. if we finish bottom-5 then we'll get a top-6 pick for sure. we're in great shape for a rebuild considering we were just contending a short hwhile ago.
at pick 6, we have Aaron Gordon. Him and rondo would be amazing in transition.

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 03:07:13 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
We basically have a top 5-6 pick either Exum/Gordon.

I would prefer we could maybe move up to grab Joel Embiid or Parker/Wiggins.

But if we can get someone like Exum or even Smart, I would love that too. It would make Bradley expendable, and we could maybe package Green/AB for someone better.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:13:50 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
at pick 6, we have Aaron Gordon. Him and rondo would be amazing in transition.

I want no part in Aaron Gordon. From his highlights I just assume he is a poor man's Blake Griffin. If we do get top 5 - I rather have Smart and Exum with the 5th or 6th pick (they seem to switch places a lot)

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Actually no we won't. While its unlikely you can always move down 3 spots in the lottery, unless you're at the bottom.

Happened to the C's before....

Edit: Specifically with the 5th seed the draft lottery we'd have a 8.4% chance to end up with the 7th pick and 0.4% chance at the 8th pick.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 03:34:33 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 03:39:30 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
8.8% is slightly slower than the probability that Rajon Rondo hits five free throws in a row, based on his career average.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:54:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
if you use the ESPN mock draft generator, we win a good amount of times. They think we pick jabari with the first pick.
Let me guess, about once every ten times :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

MATH'D!!!

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:01:28 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
Given that the first three picks are, in my mind, complete awesomesauce in this year's draft who would all have easily gone #1 last year, I'm more interested in our odds of being in the first 3 picks.

If we finish with the NBAs 5th worst record, the odds of picking in the 1st three are about 30%

with the NBAs 4th worst record, about 37%

3rd worst, 47%

2nd worst, 56%

worst, 65%

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2014, 04:02:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
MATH'D!!!
Let me give you one more while we're at it: even if we end up with the worst record in the league, we're more likely to get the fourth pick rather than the first pick.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2014, 04:08:01 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
MATH'D!!!
Let me give you one more while we're at it: even if we end up with the worst record in the league, we're more likely to get the fourth pick rather than the first pick.

While that is true, it's also a 100% chance of drafting Embiid, Parker, Wiggins, or Randle. Has there ever been a better reason to finish last?

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 04:17:56 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
MATH'D!!!

Hmmm, that doesn't fit my half-baked intuitions about probability, so that sounds an awful lot like a conspiracy to me.  If we won a practice draw on top of that I'm pretty sure we could sue.

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 04:19:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Ooooh, 8.8%!?  Sign me up!  ::)

I have to watch this garbage basketball (well, actually I don't watch much) for a measly 8% chance?  What a disgrace to the sport tanking is.  I wish there was truly a way to ban this type of nonsense.

You play to win the game, duh!

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:03 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
MATH'D!!!

Hmmm, that doesn't fit my half-baked intuitions about probability, so that sounds an awful lot like a conspiracy to me.  If we won a practice draw on top of that I'm pretty sure we could sue.

Yeah that doesn't sound right.  I'm sure there is a nifty Venn diagram somewhere that could solve this.