Author Topic: Predict the first five picks in the Draft.  (Read 12219 times)

Predict the first five picks in the Draft.
« on: January 22, 2014, 02:02:07 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

1 Joel Embiid Your stone cold crazy if you don't take him first overall. Best Center Prospect since Howard and I believe he will be better than Dwight.

2 Parker recent slump but he will be a 20 ppg scorer with great size, length, and has an nba body 245 pounds.

3 Dante Exum will be a mismatch problem in the NBA if he plays point especially. 6'6" lighting quick, awesome in transition and can shoot it very well.

4 Andrew Wiggins hasn't lived up to the hype yet, but at 6'8" with great length, and a tremendous athlete he will be at least a very good two way player in the NBA, at best an multiple all star for years to come.

5 Julius Randle an absolute beast physically, a double double waiting to happen. But he's a turnover machine, needs to clean that up.

Re: Predict the first five picks in the Draft.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

1 Joel Embiid Your stone cold crazy if you don't take him first overall. Best Center Prospect since Howard and I believe he will be better than Dwight.

2 Parker recent slump but he will be a 20 ppg scorer with great size, length, and has an nba body 245 pounds.

3 Dante Exum will be a mismatch problem in the NBA if he plays point especially. 6'6" lighting quick, awesome in transition and can shoot it very well.

4 Andrew Wiggins hasn't lived up to the hype yet, but at 6'8" with great length, and a tremendous athlete he will be at least a very good two way player in the NBA, at best an multiple all star for years to come.

5 Julius Randle an absolute beast physically, a double double waiting to happen. But he's a turnover machine, needs to clean that up.

Interestingly, I think for this moment at least you've got 1 and 5 correct (strange to feel strongly about who will be the 5th pick, but I do).  2,3 and 4 I feel uncertain about.  I can see that 2-4 going in any order among Wiggins, Parker and Exum.

The only way Marcus Smart can knock Randle out of the 5th spot is if someone decides they want him as a full time PG, that he can thrive at the 1.  In that scenario I think Smart could take the 5 spot and Randle would fall to 6.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:29:50 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Embiid
Wiggins
Parker
Randle
Exum

It really depends on who drafts where, though.  I think if the Cavs pick like 3rd or 4th they take Randle, just because they're idiots

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I'd slot Vonleh in ahead of Randle.

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2405
Embiid
Wiggins
Smart
Parker
Exum

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:47:42 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
I think that we have been fed too much hype on Wiggins and Exum and that bias is showing. It depends on who is picking, of course, but I think that Aaron Gordon and Marcus Smart will rise and the first five will go something like this

Embiid to the Bucks or Magic
Parker to the Bucks or Magic
Randle to the Jazz
Smart to the 76ers
Gordon to the Cavs

In my scenario, we have the honor of drafting Wiggins, and then either the Lakers or the Kings will scoop up Exum.

These are all very good fits, but I'm pretty scared of the Wiggins pick. Parker, Randle, Smart, and Gordon are stone cold killers- you know they are going to flourish in the NBA you just don't know for sure if they have that star-level ceiling. Wiggins is the opposite.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:58 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Embiid
Wiggins
Smart
Parker
Exum

That's pretty ballsy putting Smart third right now Who, but I like it. Smart is tough as nails love that kid.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Depends who's drafting in what position but from a talent (and hype perspective) I think it would play out like this:
Embiid
Parker
Smart
Wiggins
Exum

I don't see any teams right now that are set at center that won't make the playoffs so I can't see anyone passing on Embiid as the first pick -- even Sac, Det and Utah would probably take him even though they have young center prospects on their teams already.

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 08:55:01 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
1. Parker
2. Embiid
3. Wiggins
4. Exum
5. Randle

I love Embiid.  When there was a thread in November about the games Kansas-Duke MSU-Kentucky games about who we were most excited to see, I was the first person to bring up Embiid.  In other words, I've been on the bandwagon early.  But he's much more likely to bust than Parker, because that's the fate of a still somewhat raw center, and given that their ceilings are both Hall-of-Fame caliber, you take Parker.

Also, Parker's got the kind of game and plays the type of minutes that can make him an NCAA tournament hero.  It's just tougher for centers in college to make that impact in the tournament.  That could have an effect in the draft.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 07:55:50 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
It doesn't say the picks have to be in order so the top 5 picks will be:

1. Embiid
2. Parker
3. Wiggins
4. Randle
5. Smart

It may be Exum in the top 5 but I've never seen him play. I like Smart. He reminds me of a bigger/thicker Joe Dumars....without the jump shot....yet.

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 08:55:28 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

1. Embiid
2. Parker
3. Wiggins
4. Randle
5. Smart

It may be Exum in the top 5 but I've never seen him play. I like Smart. He reminds me of a bigger/thicker Joe Dumars....without the jump shot....yet.

Smart reminds me more of D.Wade

but my top 5 is

1. Parker
2. Wiggins
3. Embiid
4. Smart
5. Exum/Randle

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 09:47:58 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

1. Embiid
2. Parker
3. Wiggins
4. Randle
5. Smart

Smart reminds me more of D.Wade

but my top 5 is

1. Parker
2. Wiggins
3. Embiid
4. Smart
5. Exum/Randle
To each his own but Wade was an athletic freak when he came out. Smart is not nearly as explosive. I just don't see it.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:01:56 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
In this order:

1.Embiid
2.Parker
3.Wiggins
4.Randle
5.Smart

6.Exum
7.Vonleh

one of them is ours. I'd actually like any of them except Randle. I think he'll be a bust in a Thomas Robinson way. Beats up on college and high schoolers, but the NBA boys might be too fast for him to shine at SF and I dunno if he's long enough to play PF unless he gets a very solid Chris Bosh/KG style 15 footer going.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:24:12 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
It totally comes down to what teams have the picks.

The top of this draft is very fluid. Reports are that most teams rank 1. Embiid, 2. Parker, 3 Wiggins, 4. Exum ,5. Randle, 6.Smart

But some experts have said exum or smart could suprise and jump to top 3 based on team need. Utah would take Parker over Embiid, etc
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 10:26:08 AM »

Offline pp34isthe1

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 40
1. Embiid
2. Parker
3. Wiggins
4. Exum
5. Smart.

6. Randle
7. Vonleh

The top 3 is set and will go in something to that order. I put a 6/7 because they have a chance at cracking the top 5.