Author Topic: So...now do you see why Rondo can be frustrating?  (Read 28642 times)

Re: So...now do you see why Rondo can be frustrating?
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2014, 01:57:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Hey, I am not saying that it is Rondo's fault that he is not ready or not 100% but that last game was so bad that I am questioning why the team has him out there.

That game was more than the level of bad where you brush it off and say, "he is just rusty".  I know we have roster shortages but I hope that isn't why they would push Rondo to be on the court before he is ready (which it appears he is not).

So now what.  How much should the team allow Rondo to work through Rust.  If he has that much rust, could it be that he is not fully healed (the doctors must think he is).  It just doesn't seem as though he should be that bad when you think of other players who come back from injuries all the time.
Rondo is absolutely ready to be out there, he just isn't in game shape and may never be the athlete he was pre-injury.

And he won't get into game shape and we'll never be able to tell if he's back to his old ways if he doesn't play.

It's a twist.

Like M. Night Shamalyan.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Hey, I am not saying that it is Rondo's fault that he is not ready or not 100% but that last game was so bad that I am questioning why the team has him out there.

That game was more than the level of bad where you brush it off and say, "he is just rusty".  I know we have roster shortages but I hope that isn't why they would push Rondo to be on the court before he is ready (which it appears he is not).

So now what.  How much should the team allow Rondo to work through Rust.  If he has that much rust, could it be that he is not fully healed (the doctors must think he is).  It just doesn't seem as though he should be that bad when you think of other players who come back from injuries all the time.

I think the situation is that Rondo is at the point where he's physically ready, but his game is obviously not 100%.  Probably the best way for him to get back to 100% is to play in real games, not just work out with the team.  So they can have him do that in the D-League, or they can have him play in real games with the team.

Since the team isn't concerned with winning games this season, it doesn't make sense to hold Rondo out (or make him play with D-Leaguers) just because he's not ready to help the team win games yet.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16

I think the situation is that Rondo is at the point where he's physically ready, but his game is obviously not 100%.  Probably the best way for him to get back to 100% is to play in real games, not just work out with the team.  So they can have him do that in the D-League, or they can have him play in real games with the team.

Since the team isn't concerned with winning games this season, it doesn't make sense to hold Rondo out (or make him play with D-Leaguers) just because he's not ready to help the team win games yet.

Agreed, it does seem like the best possible time for him to return. We can use the remainder of the season to get him back to 100% and form chemistry with the rest of the team (well at least whoever stays)

« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2014, 02:13:38 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Bingo. If he's not at increased risk of re-injury, and he wants to play, this seems like it can't hurt. All the better if it means he can hit the ground running in camp next fall.

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I expect Rondo to get to a point where he's more of an asset than a liability on the court within a few games.  He's been shooting poorly and is clearly laboring with his conditioning out there, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the knee.

I've seen glimpses of the old Rondo out there.  Unfortunately, so far, it's only been glimpses.  He'll get there. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2014, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
At least he did one thing good against his old friend Allen ;D

u2j7lP on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs[/url]<div

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2014, 02:25:06 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I disagree that putting him out there when not ready has no down side.  Basketball is a head game and this could mess with his head.  It may carry over into next year and maybe make Rondo want a fresh start somewhere else (who knows).  I am not saying this or that will happen, I just don't think it is good to have him out there playing that bad.  He may bounce back next game and play mediocre instead of bad and this may all become moot.

More troubling is that possibility that Rondo really is "ready" but just rusty.  Rust I would think should diminish a player say 10% maybe 20%, not 70%.  This would imply that he is only going to get maybe 20% better.  I prefer to believe that Rondo just isn't ready and they have him out there earlier than he should.  If he doesn't turn it around markedly soon, they should shut him down.

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Not trying to troll here, but I wonder how many people making the "Rondo is obviously going to be rusty after a major injury" comments are also the ones who were saying "Trade for Asik and when Rondo comes back we are golden for the playoffs" earlier this season.  :P

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 02:28:15 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
This thread is kind of a downer.  Ya'll need some BBallTim. 

Where you at Tim?  Spread the gospel of the cult of Rondo.  We need a pick-me-up.  Our superstar is averaging 5 points, 4 assists, 3 rebounds on 26%/0%/25% shooting. Preach the good word, brother Tim.

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Where's Tim? I clicked into this thread (finally) assuming there'd be 47 quadruple-quoted responses frrm him. He on vacation or something?

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I disagree that putting him out there when not ready has no down side.  Basketball is a head game and this could mess with his head.  It may carry over into next year and maybe make Rondo want a fresh start somewhere else (who knows).  I am not saying this or that will happen, I just don't think it is good to have him out there playing that bad.  He may bounce back next game and play mediocre instead of bad and this may all become moot.

More troubling is that possibility that Rondo really is "ready" but just rusty.  Rust I would think should diminish a player say 10% maybe 20%, not 70%.  This would imply that he is only going to get maybe 20% better.  I prefer to believe that Rondo just isn't ready and they have him out there earlier than he should.  If he doesn't turn it around markedly soon, they should shut him down.

Yeah because that will definitely boost his confidence. I really don't understand what's so hard to understand that he hasn't played in a competitive game in a year, after coming off major knee surgery, with min restrictions (while wearing a brace)..He's having his preseason right now-while it's midseason. All while doing it with a new cast. Have you seen how Rubio or Rose looked when they returned?

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2014, 02:30:37 PM »

Offline Enzzo

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Not trying to troll here, but I wonder how many people making the "Rondo is obviously going to be rusty after a major injury" comments are also the ones who were saying "Trade for Asik and when Rondo comes back we are golden for the playoffs" earlier this season.  :P

It's a serious stretch to say that this squad, even with the addition of Asik, would be playoff bound.

It's more common sense that someone would be rusty after a major injury.

« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Where's Tim? I clicked into this thread (finally) assuming there'd be 47 quadruple-quoted responses frrm him. He on vacation or something?
I'm literally concerned.  I don't know if I can survive without Tim balancing things out.  It's kind of like a Batman/Joker relationship.  I'm pretty sure he's Batman.  We need Batman.  Where Batman at?

« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2014, 02:34:36 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Those are completely arbitrary numbers.  Rondo wasn't an All-Star just because he was confident, if that were true than the 1st team NBA would have JR Smith, Metta World Peace and Nick Young on it.  Rondo is a good player because he is a good player.  It will take some time, but I would rather have him come in with limited minutes and no expectations like he has now.  He'll figure it out 

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I'm literally concerned.  I don't know if I can survive without Tim balancing things out.  It's kind of like a Batman/Joker relationship.  I'm pretty sure he's Batman.  We need Batman.  Where Batman at?

Does that make you the Riddler?  ;)