Author Topic: Time for Pats to move on from Brady, Gronk?  (Read 15842 times)

Time for Pats to move on from Brady, Gronk?
« on: January 20, 2014, 08:31:08 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Pretty much everyone knows that the Patriots suffered several key injuries this season, and that these injuries prevented the Patriots from going deeper in the playoffs—Gronk, Wilfork, Mayo, Talib, Kelly, Vereen. Not to mention losing Hernandez to a murder charge and Welker to free agency. Looked at this way, it's amazing the Patriots made it as far as they did, for which I give especially Belichick and Brady a lot of credit.

That said ...

* Certain key players—namely Gronk and Talib—seem injury-prone: This is the second consecutive postseason in which Talib has gotten hurt and that Gronk has missed

* Brady, despite still being one of the best QBs, seems to be slipping a bit

* In recent years the Pats braintrust has given the impression that a stud wide receiver is unnecessary.

So, I ask you, is it time for the Pats to move in a new direction? Add a marquee "vertical" receiver a la A.J. Green? Dump Gronk? Or (dare I say it) dump Brady?

I'm not saying the team should or shouldn't follow any of these directions, but I do have the feeling that another season of the status quo approach (hoping for better health, forgoing a top-line receiver, relying too much on Brady) will lead to another status quo postseason (Super Bowl loss, or failure to even get to the Super Bowl).
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Time for Pats to move on from Brady, Gronk?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Brady has had accuracy issues all season. They were especially glaring in the AFC final. It's tough that he's no longer in a class of his own, but you can't "move on" from someone who's still arguably better than 80-90% of the league. What, dump Brady for "assets" and "rebuild" with someone that may well be similar to Blaine Gabbert? Nah.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:40:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
They need a new number 1 threat. 

They would be foolish to move on from Brady now.  Who are they going to get who is better?

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 08:45:02 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
Really hoping they load up again like they did after the 2006 season

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Sign Larry Fitzgerald.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I love all of the Welker-lites in the receiving core and think Edelman is ready to be every bit as good as Welker starting next year.

I agree that we need a better deep threat - I am not sure if Thompkins or Dobson can really be the next Randy Moss (or anywhere even close). Larry Fitzgerald would make a lot of sense for this team. I was disappointed that we didn't at least bring back Lloyd, but I guess they REALLY didn't want to.

In no way, shape, or form am I willing to move on from Brady. Build up the team, get healthy, and try again. We had no business being in the AFC championship this year - there is no reason we can't get at least as far next year.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
I love all of the Welker-lites in the receiving core and think Edelman is ready to be every bit as good as Welker starting next year.

I agree that we need a better deep threat - I am not sure if Thompkins or Dobson can really be the next Randy Moss (or anywhere even close). Larry Fitzgerald would make a lot of sense for this team. I was disappointed that we didn't at least bring back Lloyd, but I guess they REALLY didn't want to.

In no way, shape, or form am I willing to move on from Brady. Build up the team, get healthy, and try again. We had no business being in the AFC championship this year - there is no reason we can't get at least as far next year.

We had no business being in the AFC Championship this year (because of our injuries)...and so did Cincinnati, San Diego, Kansas City, and Indianapolis. All of them have choke quarterbacks or flawed depth or playoff experiences.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 09:33:03 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

We had no business being in the AFC Championship this year (because of our injuries)...and so did Cincinnati, San Diego, Kansas City, and Indianapolis. All of them have choke quarterbacks or flawed depth or playoff experiences.

...which is exactly why we shouldn't even consider moving on. If all it takes is pulling off a win against the Broncos to get to the Super Bowl [for the forseable future], then I am happy to keep rolling with what we have...plus a guy like Fitgerald (whom you previously mentioned).

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 10:01:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't buy this. Our problems this year haven't been due to guys not getting open, they were due to Brady not making throws he usually makes.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Brady played most of the season with a torn ligament in his hand. And we probably had the worst WR core of all time for a playoff team.

Also, are you HONESTLY even suggesting we move on from Brady? Want to enter the Mallet era? hHave fun going 0-16. Cant blame brady when the team was decimated and his best WR was a former 7th round pick QB...

Seriously this thread ticks me off >:(

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 10:42:23 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
I don't buy this. Our problems this year haven't been due to guys not getting open, they were due to Brady not making throws he usually makes.

Name a team with a worse WR core than Edelman and Amendola.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 10:50:51 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
You can ALWAYS blame those former dirty 180lb. players that are purposely taking OUT your stars:-)))  Thanks for one of the most classless moves by any coach in history Bill.

Smitty77

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 11:55:44 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Name a team with a worse WR core than Edelman and Amendola.

Easy: The 2012 Vikings, featuring Michael Jenkins, Kyle Rudolph, and Jerome Simpson.

Now, the twin tight end Patriots offense is probably gone, but we all knew that from watching them this season.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 02:42:26 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hoping the Pats resign Edelman and shore up the defense. If Welker hadn't taken out Talib, we may have had a chance at competing for another super bowl (miraculously). No concerns about Brady next season, but I've written off Gronk as a reliable option... I consider the team without him. Hopefully the defense improves for next year, Wilfork and Mayo come back healtyh, Collins keeps improving, and then we find a couple capable WRs by chance.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 03:26:51 AM »

Offline TheBigTicket23

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 59
  • Anything is possible!
aaaah stupid topic, why move on from the best QB to ever played the game, he is a winner, warrior, let him retire as a patriot. Please be a little bit more grateful that our team overarchieved this year. Draft a lil better, get some good players in FA and most important get HEALTHY!!