Author Topic: Charles Barkley: "Kevin McHale was the best player I ever played against."  (Read 9475 times)

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Just heard that while doing some work to Inside the NBA after the Thunder/Rockets game. They're talking about Dwight's lack of development, but that was a nice tidbit. I know he's said it before, but it's still a wonderful thing to reiterate.

(To the shock of absolutely nobody, they think Dwight can be better).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Glad Sir Charles is still saying this...I have no doubt that McHale could've averaged 25-30 points a game...but the C's were never built like that...plus he was a [dang] good defender.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

Offline NocturnalRebel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Yeah Chuck always acknowledges McHale as tha best he's played against. But it always seems to come up whenever they talk about Dwight Howard.

I love tha respect Chuck has for McHale tho.
Loyalty Is Royalty

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Glad Sir Charles is still saying this...I have no doubt that McHale could've averaged 25-30 points a game...but the C's were never built like that...plus he was a [dang] good defender.

KM was an outstanding defender and as unstoppable as anyone but Kareem and his skyhook in the post(and excepting Shaq who got Stern's superstar calls backing everyone down with his fat butt).

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Shaq was actually talking about his lack of finesse in regards to Howard. He said that Dwight couldn't get away with that, but he could do a lot more with his athleticism than he was.

"And then he faces up, and we all know what he's gonna do. Juke left, go right, and that stupid running hook. *entire cast sighs* "
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
excepting Shaq who got Stern's superstar calls backing everyone down with his fat butt

The no charge circle was made to make Shaq look better.  He fouled the heck out of guys but when you don't have stars you change the game for the stars you think you have.   Same was true of the three point shot.   The league was dead until Bird and Magic came along.

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
In his prime, which lasted only a few short years due to injuries, McHale was as unstoppable on offense as any player I have seen, including MJ. There was just no defending the guy. You could pack the lane but he would still be double teams and pass out.. well he would still beat double teams.

He didnt need to score a ton of points but certainly could when needed. I once read where someone wrote that "Larry Bird is the best player in the league and the second best player on the Celtics" and of course they were implying that KM was the Celts best player at the time. Put a healthery McHale in his prime on any of the top four teams today and that team is instantly the best team in the league and wins the title this years.

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Yeah Chuck always acknowledges McHale as tha best he's played against. But it always seems to come up whenever they talk about Dwight Howard.

I love tha respect Chuck has for McHale tho.

Yep. I remember reading a SI article in the 90s where he said the same.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Offline Jayman

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Doesn't surprise me Sir Charles said this. Prime Mchale in the post was basically unstoppable. Would've given Chuck nightmares to defend...