Poll

Would you rather win ring then be horrible for 10 years, or 10 years of "contender" status?

Championship than 10 years of being unwatchable
21 (72.4%)
10 years of entertaining playoff battles but no championship
8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Championship, then be awful for 10 years, or years of relevancy but no ring?  (Read 6517 times)

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The Florida/Miami Marlins have had six winning seasons in their 21-year history, but have the won the World Series the two times they have won 90+ games.

The Red Sox had a winning record in 15 out of 21 seasons from 1983 to 2003 (just before they won the World Series in 2004) with seven playoff appearances and five 90+ win seasons.

Would you rather be a Marlins fan from 1993 to the present or a Red Sox fan from 1983 to 2003?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

fitzhickey

put us as far away from LA as possible, and chips are special

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
winning a title involves a lot of pieces, including luck. being a contender for a prolonged period of time is much more "predictable". i'd much rather prefer going into every season thinking we have a shot at the title than winning it once and then not being good.

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Title

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
It's been six years since we last won Number 17. Of course, we would be working on banner #21 right now had KG didn't go down in 08-09, Perkins/refs didn't screw up in 09-10, and stopping LeBron James in Game 6 of 2012 Playoffs.

I'd love me some championships!

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
if by playoff battles u mean at least a loss in the finals then id choose entertaining playoff battles as opposed to gettin a ring and then bein whack for 10 yrs. theres pride in saying u've been the best team in ur conference for 10 years straight. plus, i think it'd be good for the fans.

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's been six years since we last won Number 17. Of course, we would be working on banner #21 right now had KG didn't go down in 08-09, Perkins/refs didn't screw up in 09-10, and stopping LeBron James in Game 6 of 2012 Playoffs.

I'd love me some championships!

The best kind of logic.

What about 2013? If Rondo doesn't go down with the torn ACL, we're chasing Banner 22 this year, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
Nobody remembers second place.  As close as the Spurs were last season, who's remembering them. But people sure remembers Miami Heat.  Championship beats anything.  Just saying...

As much as I agree with this point, and it does make sense for the 2011-2012 finals (OKC in case you forgot h0 h0 h0), but for the spur's last year, and the heat in 2011, everybody remembers.

Heat honestly should have won in 2011 (will always be remembered, especially when it comes to Jordan never lost blah blah) and Spurs should have won last year. In my mind I'll always remember it as the Finals the Heat lost, and the Finals the Spurs lost.

On a semi-related note, I'll still watch the full game of that Game 6 last year, and every time just get blown away the Spurs blew it.
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
A Championship.

Nobody really cares about the also rans and runner ups.

The question is basically do you run the race to win, or just to run it?

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Title.

Being in contention doesnt mean being able to make the playoffs annually only (hello Atlanta); Being in contention is giving it all, and going on a deep playoff run, hoping to raise the title after the end of it all;

Although its a very steep mountain to climb.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;