Author Topic: Charles Barkley says Patriot fans takes team for granted  (Read 9027 times)

Charles Barkley says Patriot fans takes team for granted
« on: January 13, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sjT7Jpa2Ek

I found this really interesting and funny (Charles really just says whatever is on his mind) and it got me to thinking about sports in general. If your team doesn't win a championship is it a wasted season?

I think I laughed out loud when Barkley said:

"When Belechick and Tom Brady leave, ya'll team is going to F'n suck"
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:46:40 AM by sed522002 »

Re: Charles Barkley says Patriot fans takes team for granted
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
"All I want is for my team to have a chance to win." - spoken like a true non-New England fan and that's what separates us.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Barkley is clearly hammered here.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 09:50:00 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
"All I want is for my team to have a chance to win." - spoken like a true non-New England fan and that's what separates us.

I also think it's about having realistic expectations for your team. I don't think any of us are expecting the C's to win a championship this yr (or next yr for that matter), so it wouldn't really be bust of a season. When you know you have the talent to win, that's when it becomes different. Heat/Pacers fans have very high expectations for their teams to win it all and it will feel like a waste of the season for them.

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 09:54:02 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
When Tom Brady leaves you're all gonna suck.....I do not accept that statement by a long shot.  We're New England.  Dynasties/rings are my birth right. In every sport at all times.

This isn't Seattle or Arizona or east bumble chuck.  That's why some sports towns are better than other. Pittsburgh. Always respected em. Didn't necessarily like em. LA.  Hate em. Respect em in a Capulets vs Montagues kinda way.  NY fans.  Fudging hate their guts. But they aren't Orlando fans or something.  Philly fans. Spoiled demanding brats. I love em all. I don't care if they threw batteries at Santa. Santa probably wasn't going 100%.

A Brazilian the other day said to me "I do not get how Boston just dominates in sports all the time. You aren't the biggest city or anything."  I was just like "We're New England and it's my birth right. We always have and always will"

Some people just don't get that because they grew up as Auburn fans and played in Phoenix. 

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I think Barkley talks too much, in general.

But, I do think there is an element of truth to what he is saying, that goes beyond the Pats: New England/Boston teams have had a remarkable run the past decade and a half.

Since 2000, the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots have each won at least one championship, and been contenders in many other years. The Patriots more so than the other three. This isn't something to do with the fanbase, but rather the fact that all four teams have good things going for them at roughly the same time. It is a rare, rare thing.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
Barkley is clearly hammered here.

Very hammered..which makes it hilarious. He's already unfiltered enough.

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:16 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
When Tom Brady leaves you're all gonna suck.....I do not accept that statement by a long shot.  We're New England.  Dynasties/rings are my birth right. In every sport at all times.

I remember pre-2004 baseball in Boston. And it was always -- we'll do okay, then screw up at the last minute and, ultimately, lose. Even when the Red Sox looked like they might do well, it was always "I wonder how they'll screw it up this time".  Frankly, I sort of miss that humbleness at times.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:28 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I think Barkley talks too much, in general.

But, I do think there is an element of truth to what he is saying, that goes beyond the Pats: New England/Boston teams have had a remarkable run the past decade and a half.

Since 2000, the Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics and Patriots have each won at least one championship, and been contenders in many other years. The Patriots more so than the other three. This isn't something to do with the fanbase, but rather the fact that all four teams have good things going for them at roughly the same time. It is a rare, rare thing.
It does have to do with the fan base. The Pats were horrid. The team was bought by a fan. Now it's the best team in the league and everyone knows it. Celts were bought by a fan. I think John Henry is essentially a fan.

You cannot say that New England fans aren't exceptionally supportive and demanding. It absolutely makes a difference. Players don't just show up here to collect a check and if they do they aren't here long.  They know what the expectations are here and if they don't they get told fast.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 10:02:44 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

I remember pre-2004 baseball in Boston. And it was always -- we'll do okay, then screw up at the last minute and, ultimately, lose. Even when the Red Sox looked like they might do well, it was always "I wonder how they'll screw it up this time".  Frankly, I sort of miss that humbleness at times.
On some level I see what you're saying but on another level I disagree. I think even pre 2004 the Sox were an entirely different team than say the Cubs.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 10:03:21 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Irish Catholics know false humility is a sin.

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I am a diehard Pats fan and I am absolutely spoiled. This year the team has been beset by more injuries to key players than any year I can remember. I thought they didn't have a chance in the playoffs, yet here they are in the AFC championship game again.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well this thread was certainly an interesting read

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 10:17:36 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I don't care much what Charles Barkley or Patrick Ewing thinks about us and neither do I care what Walter Mondale or Mike Dukakhis think about the state of the nation or MA

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2014, 10:18:39 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I love Barkley. He's the man.

Can't say he's wrong either. When Bill and Brady leave, people aren't going to know what to do with themselves.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.