at Boston Celtics (13-21) at Los Angeles Clippers (24-13)
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #36, Road Game #17
TV: CSNNE, Prime Ticket, NBA-TV Canada, NBA-LP 762(DTV)752(Xfinity)
Radio: WBZ, KFWB
Probable Starting Lineups
Jordan Crawford vs Darren CollisonShooting Guard
Avery Bradley vs Jamal Crawford Small Forward
Jeff Green vs Jared DudleyPower Forward
Brandon Bass vs Blake Griffin
Jared Sullinger vs DeAndre JordanCeltics Reserves
MarShon Brooks Injuries
Rajon Rondo (ACL) outClippers Reserves
Reggie Bullock (ankle)out
JJ Redick (wrist) questionable
Chris Paul (shoulder) outGame Notes
The Celtics face Doc Rivers and his Clippers for the second and final time this season. The Clippers won the first meeting in Boston 96-88.
With the Clippers All Star point guard, Chris Paul, sitting out with an injured shoulder, the Celtics may have caught a break in this game. JJ Redick is also questionable for this game. However, the Clippers are still very strong even without those two players.
The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games and in their 3rd game in 4 nights on the road and so fatigue may be a problem for them in this game.
The Clippers are 15-3 at home and 6-4 in their last 10 games. The Celtics are 5-11 on the road and just 3-7 in their last 10 games.
Brandon Bass vs Blake Griffin
Blake Griffin is going to be a tough matchup for Brandon Bass. He is athletic and has a knack for getting those guarding him in foul trouble. Griffin is averaging 20.0 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and is the only player in the league that is averaging 20+ points, 10+ rebounds, 3+ assists and shooting 50% from the field. Brandon Bass will need every trick he has learned on defense to slow him down.
Jared Sullinger vs DeAndre Jordan
While DeAndre Jordan isn't a huge threat on offense, he is very tough on defense and on the boards. He is averaging 9.3 points, 13.4 rebounds and 2.3 blocks a game. Jared has been struggling with his hand injury and may struggle even more trying to get his shot off over Jordan.
Brad Stevens vs Doc Rivers
The new guy vs the former coach. Doc got the best of Brad in their first meeting. Can the Celtics new coach turn the tables in this one? Keys to the Game
- The Celtics must continue to make team defense a priority. The Clippers are the highest scoring team in the NBA on their home floor averaging 109.7 points per game at home, and stopping them from scoring is a must if the Celtics expect to win this game. Move!!
- This goes for both the players and the ball. The Celtics need to run on every possession to try to get an easy shot before the defenses are set. They also need to move the ball. They can't get caught up in one on one play and over-dribbling.Rebound
- The Celtics need to crash the boards as a team. Each player, especially the guards, need to make an extra effort to grab every rebound. Team Play
- The Celtics need to play as a team and cover each other on defense as well as sharing the ball and playing offense as a team. Without a superstar, they have to stress playing for each other. Hopefully the trade and the losing streak hasn't affected their chemistry. Be Aggressive
- The Celtics need to be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls and rebounds. They need to win the 50/50 balls and play hard from start to finish. From start to finish is the key there. They can't continue to stop playing hard in the middle of every game and expect to win.
X-FactorsFatigue and Focus
As stated above, the Celtics are playing in the 3rd game in 4 nights on the road and fatigue could be a problem for them in this game. Also, with the trade going down and a hostile crowd hopefully they can keep their focus.