Author Topic: Celtics (13-22) at Clippers (24-13) Game #36 1/8/14  (Read 37816 times)

Celtics (13-22) at Clippers (24-13) Game #36 1/8/14
« on: January 07, 2014, 08:44:55 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (13-21) at Los Angeles Clippers (24-13)
Wednesday, January 8, 2014
10:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #36, Road Game #17
TV: CSNNE, Prime Ticket, NBA-TV Canada, NBA-LP 762(DTV)752(Xfinity)
Radio: WBZ, KFWB
Staples Center

Probable Starting Lineups
Point Guard

vs
Jordan Crawford vs Darren Collison

Shooting Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs Jamal Crawford

Small Forward
vs
Jeff Green vs Jared Dudley

Power Forward
vs
Brandon Bass vs Blake Griffin

Center

vs
Jared Sullinger vs DeAndre Jordan

Celtics Reserves
Jerryd Bayless
Kris Humphries
Vitor Faverani
Phil Pressey
Gerald Wallace
Keith Bogans
Courtney Lee
MarShon Brooks

Injuries
Rajon Rondo (ACL) out

Clippers Reserves
Willie Green
Ryan Hollins
Antawn Jamison
Byron Mullins
Steven Jackson
Matt Barnes

Injuries
Reggie Bullock (ankle)out
JJ Redick (wrist)  questionable
Chris Paul (shoulder) out

Game Notes
The Celtics face Doc Rivers and his Clippers for the second and final time this season.  The Clippers won the first meeting in Boston 96-88. 

With the Clippers All Star point guard, Chris Paul, sitting out with an injured shoulder,  the Celtics may have caught a break in this game.  JJ Redick is also questionable for this game.  However, the Clippers are still very strong even without those two players. 

The Celtics are playing in the second of back to back games and in their 3rd game in 4 nights on the road and so fatigue may be a problem for them in this game. 

The Clippers are 15-3 at home and 6-4 in their last 10 games.  The Celtics are 5-11 on the road and just 3-7 in their last 10 games. 

Key Matchups

vs
Brandon Bass vs Blake Griffin
Blake Griffin is going to be a tough matchup for Brandon Bass.  He is athletic and has a knack for getting those guarding him in foul trouble.  Griffin is averaging 20.0 points, 10.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and is the only player in the league that is averaging 20+ points, 10+ rebounds, 3+ assists and shooting 50% from the field. Brandon Bass will need every trick he has learned on defense to slow him down.

vs
Jared Sullinger vs DeAndre Jordan
While DeAndre Jordan isn't a huge threat on offense, he is very tough on defense and on the boards.  He is averaging 9.3 points, 13.4 rebounds and 2.3 blocks a game.  Jared has been struggling with his hand injury and may struggle even more trying to get his shot off over Jordan. 

Honorable Mention

Brad Stevens vs Doc Rivers
The new guy vs the former coach.  Doc got the best of Brad in their first meeting.  Can the Celtics new coach turn the tables in this one?

Keys to the Game
Defense
- The Celtics must continue to make team defense a priority. The Clippers are  the highest scoring team in the NBA on their home floor averaging 109.7 points per game at home, and stopping them from scoring is a must if the Celtics expect to win this game.

Move!! - This goes for both the players and the ball. The Celtics need to run on every possession to try to get an easy shot before the defenses are set. They also need to move the ball. They can't get caught up in one on one play and over-dribbling.

Rebound - The Celtics need to crash the boards as a team. Each player, especially the guards, need to make an extra effort to grab every rebound.

Team Play - The Celtics need to play as a team and cover each other on defense as well as sharing the ball and playing offense as a team. Without a superstar, they have to stress playing for each other.  Hopefully the trade and the losing streak hasn't affected their chemistry.

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be aggressive on defense, in going after loose balls and rebounds. They need to win the 50/50 balls and play hard from start to finish. From start to finish is the key there.  They can't continue to stop playing hard in the middle of every game and expect to win. 

X-Factors

Fatigue and Focus
As stated above, the Celtics are playing in the 3rd game in 4 nights on the road and fatigue could be a problem for them in this game.  Also, with the trade going down and a hostile crowd hopefully they can keep their focus.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:55:26 AM by Jeff »

Re: Celtics (13-21) at Clippers (24-13) Game #36 1/8/14
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 08:47:57 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
Anybody know if Bayless is playing/suited for tonights game?

I'm watching the Spurs vs Grizzlies game, and Courtney Lee looks like he fits well with Memphis.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 08:53:13 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Anybody know if Bayless is playing/suited for tonights game?

I'm watching the Spurs vs Grizzlies game, and Courtney Lee looks like he fits well with Memphis.

Tonight's game is the Nuggets game.

And Bayless is apparently playing.

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 08:59:30 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
lol wrong thread

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 10:13:53 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
well, i am watching the celtics and nuggets and the good thing about that game is that THIS game with the clippers has GOT to be better.  ;D

gooooooo celtics!!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 10:20:47 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
well, i am watching the celtics and nuggets and the good thing about that game is that THIS game with the clippers has GOT to be better.  ;D

gooooooo celtics!!!!

I was going to say the same thing...might as well move on over to this thread - the Nuggets game is [most likely] a lost cause - I bet Bayless is psyched to join this Cs team.

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 11:47:01 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I know I'd need a flask full of JD by the time this game is over tomorrow

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I know I'd need a flask full of JD by the time this game is over tomorrow

But this one will start an hour and a half later so pregame if you need to get up for work.

At least, I'll be pregaming.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2014, 05:48:13 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I'm sure even the most pro tanking tankers couldn't have come up with Bold Prediction matching how we got owned in Denver. Anyway, Here's mine for this game. Brad Steven's counters one of Doc Rivers' famed time out in bound plays with a most unusual set of defensive switches.  Chris Paul and Rondo are seen playing connect 4 on the touchline, and Vitor Faverani so spectacularly blocks Blake Griffin, he gets called for a tech, if not a flagrant foul. 
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2014, 06:49:48 AM »

Offline tyrone biggums

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 91
I'm sure even the most pro tanking tankers couldn't have come up with Bold Prediction matching how we got owned in Denver. Anyway, Here's mine for this game. Brad Steven's counters one of Doc Rivers' famed time out in bound plays with a most unusual set of defensive switches.  Chris Paul and Rondo are seen playing connect 4 on the touchline, and Vitor Faverani so spectacularly blocks Blake Griffin, he gets called for a tech, if not a flagrant foul.

It's not a stretch to say for the rest of this month there are going to be more blowouts than close games. This team just isn't ready to play at the NBA level aside from Hump Bass Green and a few others. Just remember if the Celtics are fortunate to get a top pick and draft Smart while resigning Bradley then we're going to have to listen about how the Celtics need to tank for a big man in 2015. This rebuild is going to be a longer and painful process than what most people thought. Welcome back to the M.L Carr, John Carroll, Rick Pitino days...the good ole days that posters have pined for since the KG/Big Al trade.

Enjoy!

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2014, 07:47:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

It's not a stretch to say for the rest of this month there are going to be more blowouts than close games. This team just isn't ready to play at the NBA level aside from Hump Bass Green and a few others. Just remember if the Celtics are fortunate to get a top pick and draft Smart while resigning Bradley then we're going to have to listen about how the Celtics need to tank for a big man in 2015. This rebuild is going to be a longer and painful process than what most people thought. Welcome back to the M.L Carr, John Carroll, Rick Pitino days...the good ole days that posters have pined for since the KG/Big Al trade.

Enjoy!
Perhaps. But I would more expect talk on free agents to sign with opening cap space. As far as the draft, celtics would still be rebuilding (one rookie will not transform this team in one year) with Their own pick and the nets' picks for years to come.

Patience...it's not just for breakfast anymore.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Celtics (13-22) at Clippers (24-13) Game #36 1/8/14
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2014, 09:32:42 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If we show some effort on defense tonight, I'll be happy.  It's that simple for me right now. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2014, 09:43:59 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well........here is game the Celtics just could win ...... :)

No CP3. ......is The death blow to the Clippies

clippers suck and not sure they won a game that CP3 didn't play.....totally lost on the court

I expect no less than this with Doc at the helm

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2014, 10:10:46 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Well........here is game the Celtics just could win ...... :)

No CP3. ......is The death blow to the Clippies

clippers suck and not sure they won a game that CP3 didn't play.....totally lost on the court

I expect no less than this with Doc at the helm

The Clips are two and one this season without Paul.  That's a slightly better winning percentage than their overall percentage.

I'd love to drop them to .500 without Paul, though. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2014, 11:38:26 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Would be nice to see the Celtics win a game .  They pretty much have fell apart last couple.