Author Topic: Greg Maddux will not be a unanimous HOF selection (tracking at 100% till now)  (Read 18810 times)

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
The voter's reasoning makes no sense.  Especially when you consider he voted for Morris who played into the 1990s.

Looks like some hack trying to make a name from himself by separating himself. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Baseball HoF is almost as bad as the basketball HoF.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

I just never understood the whole mentality of "Well, he's a HOFer, just not a first ballot HOFer".

If he's a hall of famer, vote for him! 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I just never understood the whole mentality of "Well, he's a HOFer, just not a first ballot HOFer".

If he's a hall of famer, vote for him!
Yeah.

Also Greg Maddux is by any measure a first ballot whatever, amazing career. Of course Baseball is still in denial about PEDs too, Hank Aaron was on greenies all the time to hit all his home runs.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The voter's reasoning makes no sense.  Especially when you consider he voted for Morris who played into the 1990s.

Isn't there a weird quasi-tradition where nobody gets unanimously selected?  I thought I'd heard of voters intentionally voting against worthy guys for that reason.  Maybe the guy just can't say that's why he voted against it.

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • What a Pub Should Be

Isn't there a weird quasi-tradition where nobody gets unanimously selected?  I thought I'd heard of voters intentionally voting against worthy guys for that reason.  Maybe the guy just can't say that's why he voted against it.

And its an utterly stupid quasi-tradition. 

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Bitter old men love voting no on things. That's the true tradition.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Bitter old men love voting no on things. That's the true tradition.

As a budding bitter old man, MALARKEY!

...you're probably right, but the quasi-logic I've heard is "If Babe Ruth/Willie Mays/whoever the bitter old man likes couldn't get in unanimously, neither should this jerk!"

EDIT:  And wow, if someone categorically refuses to vote for anyone from an entire era, it really seems like they ought to be stripped of their vote.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 02:16:52 PM by foulweatherfan »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Just some guy trying to stir up some views on his name. Moron.

Side note: If Piazza doesnt get in this year I will be one upset and angry dude.

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The voting process for the baseball Hall of Fame is a joke.

As someone else here wrote, if someone's not a first-ballot HOFer, he's not a HOFer at all.

As one of my co-workers said, if someone isn't a recognizable name, he probably shouldn't be in the HOF (think Bert Blyleven).

If the "anti-unanimity" tradition is true, it's a farce and needs to be outlawed.

I used to work in a newspaper sports department, and one of my colleagues there was a BBWAA voter—despite the fact that he hadn't covered MLB in years and had transitioned to covering prep sports, local colleges, and auto racing. Absurd.

There's never been a shred of evidence that Maddux used PEDs. Good grief, he looks like he never even lifted a weight in his life.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

As one of my co-workers said, if someone isn't a recognizable name, he probably shouldn't be in the HOF (think Bert Blyleven).

I think this is a terrible way to approach the process myself. Its called the Hall of Fame, but its not supposed to be about celebrity or name recognition. Excellence on the field is supposed to be the primary determinant.

And if all the new metrics have shown us anything, fans, writers, and coaches have historically often been poor at evaluating exactly what is winning baseball. (Gold Glove voting for example)

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
There's never been a shred of evidence that Maddux used PEDs. Good grief, he looks like he never even lifted a weight in his life.

Exhibit A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltD21rYWVw

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
Baseball HOF voters are some jaded people. Someone said above, "they are a HOFer, but not a 1st ballot HOFer".  That sums up their mentality. They view the HOF as a moral high ground and they exclude whoever they want. It really is just a museum to show off the accomplishments of the best players from every era. Greg Maddux is unquestionably a first ballot HOFer and it's a shame if he doesn't make it on the first try.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
I actually like the rule.... If players like Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio and Williams weren't unanimous, then there should NEVER be a unanimous selection.