Author Topic: Luol Deng to CLE  (Read 19441 times)

Re: Luol Deng to CLE
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Im surprise they traded Deng...Chicago will go after some big name FA's next season for sure..and the NBA will make sure they get a top 3 pick again
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2014, 08:47:42 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Im surprise they traded Deng...Chicago will go after some big name FA's next season for sure..and the NBA will make sure they get a top 3 pick again
They'll have about 10 million in cap room and much that is going to be used on Mirotic.

« Reply #92 on: January 08, 2014, 01:23:38 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I can't really buy into this trade for the Cavs at all unless their primary goal is to just get into the playoffs or to sign Deng to a team friendly contract in the off-season somehow

They have to start building something soon. The roster surrounding Irving is terrible. Tristan Thompson is probably their second best player.

Now they just flipped garbage they were ready to cut for a top 5 or 7 small forward in his prime. Deng is now their second best player.

They don't need to draft anymore Bennetts or waiters afterall.  :)

Shouldn't people on this forum against trying to acquire a top pick love this trade for the cavs? They have a nice young core(certainty more talented than our young core) and making the playoffs will give their players experience so they can grow and develop, it doesn't matter if they are playing only to make the first round.

They dumped a team cancer in Bynum, got a top small forward who is elite defensively and shoots very well, and will likely make the playoffs which give their young players much needed experience.

I'm a little surprised half this blog isn't 100% behind this deal as a perfect example of how to build a team.

It's the Tristan Thompson + Dion Waiters + Anthony Bennett draft picks that give me pause. I think all of those players are very much question marks in becoming high end talent.

If Cleveland had of drafted better and made better use of those draft picks -- and clearly had a young talented core that can grow into a title contender down the road -- then I think this would be the perfect time to add a player like Luol Deng to the mix. A veteran with know-how who can help show the young players the way forward.

But I, and many others by the looks of it, are not convinced by the Cavs non-Kyrie Irving draft picks ... and thus are unsure this is the right moment to be trying to make a major push forward.

Gotta handle the rebuilding part of the equation properly first. Then make the push.

This is where I am with the Cavs - have they done their rebuilding properly? Do they have a talented core that can become a title contender? Who outside of Kyrie Irving is a legitimate All-Star talent? Or even a (future) top ten player at their respective position? Where is the high end talent outside of Kyrie Irving?

And if a team doesn't have that talent in place, they are better off staying bad for a while longer and getting more high draft picks. Going before you are ready to go is likely to lead to a low ceiling 45-50 win type team and an eventual new rebuilding process down the road + the probable loss of Kyrie Irving to another team.

It has got to be the right moment. The right phase in their development. In sync with their talent accumulation of young players. With a clear view of how they are going to grow and become a title contender down the road.

« Reply #93 on: January 08, 2014, 02:08:44 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I can't really buy into this trade for the Cavs at all unless their primary goal is to just get into the playoffs or to sign Deng to a team friendly contract in the off-season somehow

They have to start building something soon. The roster surrounding Irving is terrible. Tristan Thompson is probably their second best player.

Now they just flipped garbage they were ready to cut for a top 5 or 7 small forward in his prime. Deng is now their second best player.

They don't need to draft anymore Bennetts or waiters afterall.  :)

Shouldn't people on this forum against trying to acquire a top pick love this trade for the cavs? They have a nice young core(certainty more talented than our young core) and making the playoffs will give their players experience so they can grow and develop, it doesn't matter if they are playing only to make the first round.

They dumped a team cancer in Bynum, got a top small forward who is elite defensively and shoots very well, and will likely make the playoffs which give their young players much needed experience.

I'm a little surprised half this blog isn't 100% behind this deal as a perfect example of how to build a team.

It's the Tristan Thompson + Dion Waiters + Anthony Bennett draft picks that give me pause. I think all of those players are very much question marks in becoming high end talent.

If Cleveland had of drafted better and made better use of those draft picks -- and clearly had a young talented core that can grow into a title contender down the road -- then I think this would be the perfect time to add a player like Luol Deng to the mix. A veteran with know-how who can help show the young players the way forward.

But I, and many others by the looks of it, are not convinced by the Cavs non-Kyrie Irving draft picks ... and thus are unsure this is the right moment to be trying to make a major push forward.

Gotta handle the rebuilding part of the equation properly first. Then make the push.

This is where I am with the Cavs - have they done their rebuilding properly? Do they have a talented core that can become a title contender? Who outside of Kyrie Irving is a legitimate All-Star talent? Or even a (future) top ten player at their respective position? Where is the high end talent outside of Kyrie Irving?

And if a team doesn't have that talent in place, they are better off staying bad for a while longer and getting more high draft picks. Going before you are ready to go is likely to lead to a low ceiling 45-50 win type team and an eventual new rebuilding process down the road + the probable loss of Kyrie Irving to another team.

It has got to be the right moment. The right phase in their development. In sync with their talent accumulation of young players. With a clear view of how they are going to grow and become a title contender down the road.

While I completely agree with this, I do think there's something to be said for futilely going for it after years in the lottery. Cleveland and Charlotte have no shot and they're just digging a deeper eventual grave for themselves. However, how many years in a row can you keep being in the lottery? At some point, don't you owe it to your fans to at least attempt to win?

It's just a repeating cycle with Cleveland getting a no 1 player in LeBron and Irving (not saying they're the same talent level obviously) then failing to surround him with enough talent to convince him to stay. Maybe another star leaving will finally convince Dan "Comic Sans" Gilbert he needs to step back and let some professionals make the basketball decisions.

Certain franchises just reach the point where you can't push the reset button anymore even if that's the smarter long-term move. When Irving does eventually leave they can blow it up again then, can't they?