Author Topic: Luol Deng to CLE  (Read 19380 times)

Re: Luol Deng to CLE
« Reply #75 on: January 07, 2014, 01:26:17 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
With all that said. Is Chicago trying to save money.

How about we throw them Humphries and a pick for Noah. I mean if they are willing to get this kid of compensation for Deng, we might as well try.

Throw Jordan Crawford in there too, they need a Rose replacement right?

Deng wasn't part of their long term future. Noah is. Chicago didn't want to pay Deng the money he would have gotten this summer and had a quality replacement in Jimmy Butler already on their roster. Add in long term concerns about restructuring their team around D-Rose and needing that financial wiggle room and Deng was expendable.

That isn't the case with Joakim Noah. He is younger and harder to replace. The Bulls will keep him and D-Rose and rebuild their franchise around those guys.

Like Deng, Boozer won't be part of the Bulls future either. So you could probably Boozer in a straight swap for Humphries if that is a deal you wanted to do. Taj Gibson may even be available at the right price. Say cap flexibility and a first round pick.

---------------------------------------

Moving Deng is not purely about saving money. It is about building a new team.

The previous core of Rose - Deng - Boozer - Noah had run it's course largely due to bad luck with Derrick Rose's injury problems. They needed to restructure to find a younger All-Star talent(s) to put alongside Rose + Noah in order to compete for a title once again a few years down the line and for the 3-5 year window beyond that point.

Moving Deng and creating the cap flexibility to do that was a necessary step in that long term plan.

Someone may have pointed this out but Noah turns 29 next month so hes actually older than Deng. So is be really in their long-term plans?

I think someone of Noah's skillset is much more difficult to replace.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: January 07, 2014, 01:45:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
With all that said. Is Chicago trying to save money.

How about we throw them Humphries and a pick for Noah. I mean if they are willing to get this kid of compensation for Deng, we might as well try.

Throw Jordan Crawford in there too, they need a Rose replacement right?

Deng wasn't part of their long term future. Noah is. Chicago didn't want to pay Deng the money he would have gotten this summer and had a quality replacement in Jimmy Butler already on their roster. Add in long term concerns about restructuring their team around D-Rose and needing that financial wiggle room and Deng was expendable.

That isn't the case with Joakim Noah. He is younger and harder to replace. The Bulls will keep him and D-Rose and rebuild their franchise around those guys.

Like Deng, Boozer won't be part of the Bulls future either. So you could probably Boozer in a straight swap for Humphries if that is a deal you wanted to do. Taj Gibson may even be available at the right price. Say cap flexibility and a first round pick.

---------------------------------------

Moving Deng is not purely about saving money. It is about building a new team.

The previous core of Rose - Deng - Boozer - Noah had run it's course largely due to bad luck with Derrick Rose's injury problems. They needed to restructure to find a younger All-Star talent(s) to put alongside Rose + Noah in order to compete for a title once again a few years down the line and for the 3-5 year window beyond that point.

Moving Deng and creating the cap flexibility to do that was a necessary step in that long term plan.

Someone may have pointed this out but Noah turns 29 next month so hes actually older than Deng. So is be really in their long-term plans?

I think someone of Noah's skillset is much more difficult to replace.
And he doesn't have an expiring contract seeking 15/16 million a year in an extension.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #77 on: January 07, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I like this trade for both teams. The cavs needed to do something to increase their talent level, and they did so with a borderline all star at a position of great need.

And then considering Chicago was going to release deng this summer anyway, they instead get more immediate money relief, and a pick or 2. Amazing.

Going forward though, both teams are in some potential trouble. Cleveland cant afford to let deng walk this summer. Will they give into a crazy contract demand?

And Chicago may be spiraling into a mess. Rose's injuries, the severe talent cutting in the form of deng, perhaps an amnesty of boozer, combined with coach Thibs appearing to be loosing his luster a bit with that team are adding to a tense, disappointing situation. There is only so long an nba team will march to the drum of the same screaming voice. Where is that team heading? Will they alienate Noah and rose eventually? We will see.

« Reply #78 on: January 07, 2014, 01:52:31 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I can't really buy into this trade for the Cavs at all unless their primary goal is to just get into the playoffs or to sign Deng to a team friendly contract in the off-season somehow

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2014, 02:04:49 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I can't really buy into this trade for the Cavs at all unless their primary goal is to just get into the playoffs or to sign Deng to a team friendly contract in the off-season somehow

They have to start building something soon. The roster surrounding Irving is terrible. Tristan Thompson is probably their second best player.

Now they just flipped garbage they were ready to cut for a top 5 or 7 small forward in his prime. Deng is now their second best player.

They don't need to draft anymore Bennetts or waiters afterall.  :)

« Reply #80 on: January 07, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I like this trade for both teams. The cavs needed to do something to increase their talent level, and they did so with a borderline all star at a position of great need.

And then considering Chicago was going to release deng this summer anyway, they instead get more immediate money relief, and a pick or 2. Amazing.

Going forward though, both teams are in some potential trouble. Cleveland cant afford to let deng walk this summer. Will they give into a crazy contract demand?

And Chicago may be spiraling into a mess. Rose's injuries, the severe talent cutting in the form of deng, perhaps an amnesty of boozer, combined with coach Thibs appearing to be loosing his luster a bit with that team are adding to a tense, disappointing situation. There is only so long an nba team will march to the drum of the same screaming voice. Where is that team heading? Will they alienate Noah and rose eventually? We will see.

Cavs will have to pay Deng........Smith got 14 mil and Iggy 12....,,,  Deng has every right to expect something in that range.......you ll see hell get at least 12 mill.

If he wants to stay. And if  Cavs can stop LA from stealing Irving away........Lakers are goin after everybody's star guards

« Reply #81 on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:16 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

They have to start building something soon. The roster surrounding Irving is terrible. Tristan Thompson is probably their second best player.

Now they just flipped garbage they were ready to cut for a top 5 or 7 small forward in his prime. Deng is now their second best player.

Shouldn't people on this forum against trying to acquire a top pick love this trade for the cavs? They have a nice young core(certainty more talented than our young core) and making the playoffs will give their players experience so they can grow and develop, it doesn't matter if they are playing only to make the first round.

They dumped a team cancer in Bynum, got a top small forward who is elite defensively and shoots very well, and will likely make the playoffs which give their young players much needed experience.

I'm a little surprised half this blog isn't 100% behind this deal as a perfect example of how to build a team.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

Shouldn't people on this forum against trying to acquire a top pick love this trade for the cavs? They have a nice young core(certainty more talented than our young core) and making the playoffs will give their players experience so they can grow and develop, it doesn't matter if they are playing only to make the first round.

They dumped a team cancer in Bynum, got a top small forward who is elite defensively and shoots very well, and will likely make the playoffs which give their young players much needed experience.

I'm a little surprised half this blog isn't 100% behind this deal as a perfect example of how to build a team.

I'm not high on their core outside of Irving and I don't think an Irving/Deng/whoever core has a high ceiling. Irving still has some development to do too. 

If they overpay for Deng, (which I think they could very well do), it's not going to help them long-term.

Bennett's looking like a bust, Waiters is a glorified sixth man in my book, and Thompson alone is a servicable starter to me. 

« Reply #83 on: January 07, 2014, 02:33:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
One less place that wants Green.

« Reply #84 on: January 07, 2014, 02:37:31 PM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

I'm not high on their core outside of Irving and I don't think an Irving/Deng/whoever core has a high ceiling. Irving still has some development to do too. 

If they overpay for Deng, (which I think they could very well do), it's not going to help them long-term.

Bennett's looking like a bust, Waiters is a glorified sixth man in my book, and Thompson alone is a servicable starter to me. 

Right but it's better than what we have, all we have is Sully, which Irving is far more talented than for all his chucking. Thompson is a starter quality player, even if Waiters is a sixth man that's still an important role to fill like Terry did for Dallas. With Deng they upgrade their scoring and defensive and it gives them a veteran leader who can contribute and help win.

Also making the first round of the playoffs, even if they get stomped every game gives their young players much needed experience and teach them to win, according to many on this blog.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #85 on: January 07, 2014, 03:12:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I'm not really as high on Irving as I was when he was a rookie.

« Reply #86 on: January 07, 2014, 03:16:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • What a Pub Should Be

I'm not really as high on Irving as I was when he was a rookie.

Ditto.  I expected more development here in Year 3 given where he was at in his rookie year.

« Reply #87 on: January 07, 2014, 03:50:04 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
bulls could have gotten more in picks while still taking on only an expiring deal. when you have a player like rose on your roster, acquiring talent for contention is more important than saving on tax money. but reinsdorf is a grade-A cheapskate, and this will hurt their title chances down the line. that doesn't exactly upset me, though.

« Reply #88 on: January 07, 2014, 06:19:07 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
bulls could have gotten more in picks while still taking on only an expiring deal. when you have a player like rose on your roster, acquiring talent for contention is more important than saving on tax money. but reinsdorf is a grade-A cheapskate, and this will hurt their title chances down the line. that doesn't exactly upset me, though.
Including finding a all star back up for Rose. Seeing that he's made out of wet paper.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2014, 06:58:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Man, before this trade went down I found a way on espn's trade machine to send Jeff Green to Cleveland, Bynum to Boston (who I would instantly waive if I were  Ainge), Wallace to Charlotte, and Ben Gordon back to Chicago (I read somewhere that he might like to go back to the windy city when his contract is up after this year).  Other players like Bogans were involved but I don't remember the specifics.  I should have saved it arrrgh.  How crazy would this have been? - http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6400668

Crash never wanted to leave Charlotte and always plays his best against them, and he might even help those guys make it to the playoffs.  Who knows?  We'd still have quite a logjam at the guard positions, and who would play sf?Hmmmmmmm...