Author Topic: Understanding why we would trade Rondo.  (Read 1997 times)

Understanding why we would trade Rondo.
« on: January 20, 2014, 04:23:16 PM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
I hardly post, and only read once every few days to see if anything major happened, but why would the Celtics name Rondo the captain, just to trade him a few months later?

Seems to me that's a statement saying he's going to be a Celtic, atleast until his contract is over.

Also, sorry if this was posted somewhere else.
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.

Re: Understanding why we would trade Rondo.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 04:47:30 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I hardly post, and only read once every few days to see if anything major happened, but why would the Celtics name Rondo the captain, just to trade him a few months later?

Seems to me that's a statement saying he's going to be a Celtic, atleast until his contract is over.

Also, sorry if this was posted somewhere else.

It has been posted elsewhere, but I think it's okay for this to have it's own thread.  And, I agree.  I think him being named captain is another sign that he's not likely to be moved this season.  It seems to be me that Danny Ainge has been telling the truth all along when he says that he sees Rondo as a big part of the future of this franchise. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Who else would be captain?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
They didn't have to name anyone a captain. In fact, they didn't, for half a season.

All in all, the more established Rondo is, the more value he has. So you really can't tell one way or the other with this.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

There've been a few stretches in the past during which the Celts had no captain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Celtics#Captains

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:13:47 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I doubt Rondo will be traded unless a team offers Danny a trade that he just can't turn down. And I don't see another team doing that. However I don't think being named team captain will prevent him from being traded one day. I mean Danny traded Paul Pierce and he was a long time team captain. And he thought Larry Bird should've been traded and he was not only the captain but a legend in the city. Danny would trade his mother if he thinks he'll come out on top of the trade.

I think we all like to read too much into things that happen right now. He's the captain because he's been with the team the longest. He was on the team that won us a ring and he's the best player on the team. Seems like a logical choice for team captain to me.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I doubt anyone would trade for him in his present state.  He is still on the mend.   They would have to buy low and sell high which I think they would not do.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:23:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I doubt anyone would trade for him in his present state.  He is still on the mend.   They would have to buy low and sell high which I think they would not do.

I'm inclined to believe this too - although I just remembered that Danny traded Perk in very similar circumstances.

I guess the differences now are (1) there's much less urgency as we are not contenders, and (2) Rondo is maybe our most valuable asset, so I think the argument for patience is stronger.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:25:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
'Toine got traded while he was still captain, I believe.

One has little bearing on the other. I don't believe that Rondo will be traded by the deadline, though--mostly because I doubt he will have shown anyone that he's really returned to form, and Ainge isn't going to trade him for much less than he's worth at his peak value.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:40:10 PM »

Offline sunnyd656

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 21
I doubt Rondo will be traded unless a team offers Danny a trade that he just can't turn down. And I don't see another team doing that. However I don't think being named team captain will prevent him from being traded one day. I mean Danny traded Paul Pierce and he was a long time team captain. And he thought Larry Bird should've been traded and he was not only the captain but a legend in the city. Danny would trade his mother if he thinks he'll come out on top of the trade.

I think we all like to read too much into things that happen right now. He's the captain because he's been with the team the longest. He was on the team that won us a ring and he's the best player on the team. Seems like a logical choice for team captain to me.

That's kind of my point. Those two were LONG term captains, so of course things can, and will, change. But where is the pay-off in naming a player a captain if you have plans to ship him off in a year or less. Not that a Captain can't be traded. However, looking on Wikipedia, there are a few players that captained for only a year. So who knows, lol.
  Every year there are 6-7 teams with a lower winning percentage than our current record. I think we've gotten so used to ignoring the bottom feeders since 2008 that we've forgotten how bad some teams are.