Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48048 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #165 on: January 06, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I don't know how Ainge does it. How in the hells bells do you land an expiring for a Lee type contract ?

It's almost impossible. It's simply amazing. He's opening this roster up which is going to allow for some great future additions. Helluva move here.

What's so amazing about it?  Lee's a good player who is *slightly* overpaid relative to his worth.  He's having a great season.  Memphis needs a backup SG.  And, they're picking up a draft pick which - if we're still slogging along in a couple years, could well be in the 35-40 range. 

I like the trade, but let's not go overboard; it's the kind of return I'd expect for Courtney Lee (and Brandon Bass, ultimately).

« Reply #166 on: January 06, 2014, 12:21:21 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't know how Ainge does it. How in the hells bells do you land an expiring for a Lee type contract ?

It's almost impossible. It's simply amazing. He's opening this roster up which is going to allow for some great future additions. Helluva move here.

What's so amazing about it?  Lee's a good player who is *slightly* overpaid relative to his worth.  He's having a great season.  Memphis needs a backup SG.  And, they're picking up a draft pick which - if we're still slogging along in a couple years, could well be in the 35-40 range. 

I like the trade, but let's not go overboard; it's the kind of return I'd expect for Courtney Lee (and Brandon Bass, ultimately).
agreed.  This was a solid deal for both teams.  Lee, when he plays like he has this season, is worth his deal and would be a great role player for a team like Memphis.  His situation is good for Memphis in that he's cost controlled for another 2 years when they should have all their horses completely healthy for title runs. 

« Reply #167 on: January 06, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

You just turned an overpaid contract into an expiring contract.

Go overboard.

It's not everyday you can pull that off.

« Reply #168 on: January 06, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
Buzz in Reno here at D-League Showcase is that Courtney Lee-for-Jerryd Bayless trade expanding to include third team: Oklahoma City

Stein

Word is that OKC's Ryan Gomes will be added to trade to and goes to Boston ... with Celtics then expected to waive Gomes

Stein

Thunder involvement in this manner would create some extra luxury-tax wiggle room for OKC ... presumably to set them up for another trade

Stein.

« Reply #169 on: January 06, 2014, 08:41:44 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Stein's quotes about including Gomes don't make any sense to me.  I must be missing something,

« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2014, 08:48:55 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Stein's quotes about including Gomes don't make any sense to me.  I must be missing something,

Yea, why should either Boston or Memphis help OKC cut salary without getting something out of it? What do the thunder take back in return?

« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2014, 08:49:52 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Salary move. Gomes will not even put on a jersey for Boston before he gets cut.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #172 on: January 06, 2014, 08:58:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
How does the Gomes thing help Boston...more salary dump?..... ???

« Reply #173 on: January 06, 2014, 09:00:11 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Why immediately cut him, if we've got an open roster spot?  Just as a courtesy to him and his agent, to maybe latch on to another team?

If OKC is involved, they must be sending a 2nd rounder to one of the two teams.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #174 on: January 06, 2014, 09:05:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Why immediately cut him, if we've got an open roster spot?  Just as a courtesy to him and his agent, to maybe latch on to another team?

I would imagine they are sending the second rounder to Memphis and Boston keeps its pick.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #175 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:51 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i know nothing about the details of the gomes aspect of this trade, so let me give my opinion.  ;D

perhaps ainge is doing a bit of a favor for OKC, one that costs the celtics nothing but creates some good will that someday may be repaid.

worst case is the celtics get gomes. fine.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #176 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:54 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568

Yeah, that was my thinking. No need for Gomes to sit on our bench. At least give him an opportunity to sign with somebody else.

I'd rather use that roster spot on a 10-day D League guy.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #177 on: January 06, 2014, 09:41:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is the NBA and all about business not charity

OKC likely to give up a 2016 2nd or something to memphis. Which is almost as good as signing an undrafted player

« Reply #178 on: January 06, 2014, 10:06:23 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
When he was on the Celtics---Gomes was the guy who publicly stated that the C's were Losing games ON PURPOSE, for the Draft---we don't need him around--!
 ;)
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #179 on: January 06, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
When he was on the Celtics---Gomes was the guy who publicly stated that the C's were Losing games ON PURPOSE, for the Draft---we don't need him around--!
 ;)

Oh Great ...just what we need .....a rat .....

I hate him already