Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48047 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #150 on: January 06, 2014, 10:33:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So this was a straight up swap?
Did we use the trade exception and did they use there's  bc I thought salaries didn't match...

To be clear no other pieces were involved? Picks or salary fillers?
Memphis needs to send out more salary, probably someone like Mike Miller.

Memphis absorbed Lee's deal using their exception from the Rudy Gay trade.
Has it been confirmed that's whats happening? I haven't seen a "final" construction of the trade. Just that its happening.

And if I understand it correctly, Boston basically trades Lee to Memphis first in exchanges for the matching piece of their trade exception ($5.whatever mil), then Memphis does the same from Boston? Essentially, two separate trades for the respective exceptions, and Boston loses $3.135mil of the PP trade exception....
No Boston doesn't have to use our trade exception. You can always send out more salary than you take back.

« Reply #151 on: January 06, 2014, 10:49:42 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
So this was a straight up swap?
Did we use the trade exception and did they use there's  bc I thought salaries didn't match...

To be clear no other pieces were involved? Picks or salary fillers?
Memphis needs to send out more salary, probably someone like Mike Miller.

Memphis absorbed Lee's deal using their exception from the Rudy Gay trade.
Has it been confirmed that's whats happening? I haven't seen a "final" construction of the trade. Just that its happening.

And if I understand it correctly, Boston basically trades Lee to Memphis first in exchanges for the matching piece of their trade exception ($5.whatever mil), then Memphis does the same from Boston? Essentially, two separate trades for the respective exceptions, and Boston loses $3.135mil of the PP trade exception....

You misunderstand.  The transaction doesn't have to be structured the same way from the teams' different points of views.  For Boston, it would be a straight-up deal of Lee for Bayless, while for Memphis it should be two separate trades of Bayless for nothing and nothing for Lee using the trade exception.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #152 on: January 06, 2014, 10:53:57 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
That'll make for some confusing paperwork, no?
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #153 on: January 06, 2014, 10:54:20 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I don't think replacing one of our SGs with a smaller player who shoots worse is going to make our offense better.

He's been playing mostly SG for about two years now and hasn't been much of a playmaker for Memphis. Plus defensively he's a downgrade from Lee.
He's averaged about 5 ap36 with Memphis. He's been a playmaker just fine (more last year than this year), he's just not getting too much playing time.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #154 on: January 06, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I don't think replacing one of our SGs with a smaller player who shoots worse is going to make our offense better.

He's been playing mostly SG for about two years now and hasn't been much of a playmaker for Memphis. Plus defensively he's a downgrade from Lee.
He's averaged about 5 ap36 with Memphis. He's been a playmaker just fine (more last year than this year), he's just not getting too much playing time.
His AST% is low this year (near bottom of all PGs), and his assists per 36 are at 3.7.

He was better last year at 5.6 and a better AST% but they've moved him to SG almost full time. Not a great sign of his ability to run and offense and make plays.

« Reply #155 on: January 06, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

His AST% is low this year (near bottom of all PGs), and his assists per 36 are at 3.7.

He was better last year at 5.6 and a better AST% but they've moved him to SG almost full time. Not a great sign of his ability to run and offense and make plays.
Sounds to me like they simply had a need for a SG off the bench, and that move didn't work out -- hence they swapped him for Lee. He should be fine as a backup PG.

edit: Although this hypothesis also seems weird, since I'm not sure who else is handling backup PG duties in Memphis. Mike Miller and Tony Allen don't seem fit for the part.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #156 on: January 06, 2014, 11:05:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That'll make for some confusing paperwork, no?
That's why they've got people who cover it for a living.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #157 on: January 06, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »

Offline henr1k

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 58
Well, it seems Grizzlies will also get 2016 2nd round pick from C's. Herrington is covering Grizzlies fwiw

https://twitter.com/HerringtonNBA/status/420038060965773312

« Reply #158 on: January 06, 2014, 11:14:28 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Well, it seems Grizzlies will also get 2016 2nd round pick from C's. Herrington is covering Grizzlies fwiw

https://twitter.com/HerringtonNBA/status/420038060965773312

TP for the tweet, I've been waiting for the official deal all day.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2014, 11:22:12 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Sounds to me like they simply had a need for a SG off the bench, and that move didn't work out -- hence they swapped him for Lee. He should be fine as a backup PG.

edit: Although this hypothesis also seems weird, since I'm not sure who else is handling backup PG duties in Memphis. Mike Miller and Tony Allen don't seem fit for the part.

He has put up some assist numbers but I don't see him as a passer at all.  Like I said before, he can give you some PG minutes (and is fit to defend the position) but I don't see him on the level of Crawford passing wise.

I still am okay with a guy who can score for himself anyways, we could probably use that.  I just hope he shoots better here.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2014, 11:26:46 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The Grizzlies are reportedly bringing back Seth Curry now that players can be signed to 10-day contracts, so I guess that takes care of the backup PG situation for now.

« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2014, 11:51:55 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450

Living in TN, I've watched quite a few games, and he plays 2 guard most the time.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
I don't know how Ainge does it. How in the hells bells do you land an expiring for a Lee type contract ?

It's almost impossible. It's simply amazing. He's opening this roster up which is going to allow for some great future additions. Helluva move here.

« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2014, 11:59:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I don't know how Ainge does it. How in the hells bells do you land an expiring for a Lee type contract ?

It's almost impossible. It's simply amazing. He's opening this roster up which is going to allow for some great future additions. Helluva move here.

By giving false hope to a franchise that is desperately hoping to have similar success as last year, and a 2nd round pick.

I'm hoping the Grizzlies blow it up, and trade us Gasol if they don't get close to the playoffs.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

By giving false hope to a franchise that is desperately hoping to have similar success as last year, and a 2nd round pick.

I'm hoping the Grizzlies blow it up, and trade us Gasol if they don't get close to the playoffs.

They'll certainly trade Z-Bo before Gasol.