Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48051 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2014, 09:04:55 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So this was a straight up swap?
Did we use the trade exception and did they use there's  bc I thought salaries didn't match...

To be clear no other pieces were involved? Picks or salary fillers?
Memphis needs to send out more salary, probably someone like Mike Miller.

Memphis absorbed Lee's deal using their exception from the Rudy Gay trade.
Has it been confirmed that's whats happening? I haven't seen a "final" construction of the trade. Just that its happening.

« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2014, 09:06:52 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Loving this trade. Bayless has that swagger the team is missing.

Better than Jcraw. People will see.
Oh man, Bayless and Crawford on this team as PGs?

Having one chucker is bad enough at the position, now two?

« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2014, 09:07:55 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
I always liked Courtney Lee; I know he struggled a bit last year, but Doc seemed to have him on a much shorter leash than everyone else, he never really had a chance to play his way out of it.  In the end, though, he was overpaid for the role he was being asked to play here, and he wasn't happpy; better to cut ties now, save some money down the road. 

Does the shedding of his future salary give us some leeway to use our own trade exemption next summer?

In terms of this year's performance:

A. It doesn't really matter; this team isn't very good, regardless

B. AB's a better all-around player and deserves the lion's share of the off-guard minutes.  Bogans can pick up a few minutes, it's a downgrade from Lee but Bogans should be OK in that role.

C. Probably increased the liklihood of resigning AB, on a tangential note.

D. Bayless, we'll see.  Probably a better backup PG option than Pressy, and it gives another option for backup PG that Jordan Crawford.  Crawford can fill in some of Lee's SG minutes, too.

« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2014, 09:10:45 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I always liked Courtney Lee; I know he struggled a bit last year, but Doc seemed to have him on a much shorter leash than everyone else, he never really had a chance to play his way out of it.  In the end, though, he was overpaid for the role he was being asked to play here, and he wasn't happpy; better to cut ties now, save some money down the road. 

Does the shedding of his future salary give us some leeway to use our own trade exemption next summer?

In terms of this year's performance:

A. It doesn't really matter; this team isn't very good, regardless

B. AB's a better all-around player and deserves the lion's share of the off-guard minutes.  Bogans can pick up a few minutes, it's a downgrade from Lee but Bogans should be OK in that role.

C. Probably increased the liklihood of resigning AB, on a tangential note.

D. Bayless, we'll see.  Probably a better backup PG option than Pressy, and it gives another option for backup PG that Jordan Crawford.  Crawford can fill in some of Lee's SG minutes, too.
We were only slightly (100k ish) range under the luxury tax. This cuts another 2.1 million off our salary figure, which leaves us with 6 million or so space under the apron.

But I don't see us using the TPE in a way that would make us tax payers. Not unless we're getting an all-star in return somehow.

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2014, 09:11:26 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I really like this trade.  I think it not only makes us a better team this season, but gives us flexibility to move Crawford for an asset (probably small), and most importantly, cuts salary from the books.

If only the price for dumping Wallace on someone wasn't likely to be so [dang] high.

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2014, 09:15:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I really like this trade.  I think it not only makes us a better team this season, but gives us flexibility to move Crawford for an asset (probably small), and most importantly, cuts salary from the books.

If only the price for dumping Wallace on someone wasn't likely to be so [dang] high.
How does it make us a better team this year?

Lee's been great in his role, Bayless has been playing poorly for the Grizzlies.

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Bayless can score certainly but has never shown the passing ability Crawford has that makes him able to step in and play some PG.

But we could use a player who can create their own shot.  I know that scares people but it has sunk us in the past and is something we often miss.

But yes, trust me I don't view this as a move made to make a playoff run.  But if our team is better I won't be surprised.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2014, 09:23:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Bayless can score certainly but has never shown the passing ability Crawford has that makes him able to step in and play some PG.

But we could use a player who can create their own shot.  I know that scares people but it has sunk us in the past and is something we often miss.
Right but Bayless has been creating a whole lot of bricks this year.

« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2014, 09:25:31 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Right but Bayless has been creating a whole lot of bricks this year.

I believe the O'Connor piece mentioned how bad he's been shooting... and that maybe we can hope he is hot here and drives it back up to his average  ;D

We will have to see.  But yeah his numbers so far, not too hot.

But that's the appealing thing for Crawford now.  The other day he shot terribly from the field (like 1 for 10) but had 9 assists.  I just don't see Bayless doing that really. 

Part of what makes Crawford a better piece now than some are saying by so directly comparing the two players.  Isn't just a chucker.  Also has some nice size.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:33:40 AM by Snakehead »

« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2014, 09:31:59 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
I like the deal.  I really don't like Crawford much in the starting PG role, even if it's just temporarilly. 

Yes I know he's shown some talent as a passer, but it really seems like for every 15 point, 10 assist game he has there is a 6 point, 4 turnover, 3-18 shooting night that follows.

He's still lost us a number of games with his occasionally horrible decision making.

Getting rid off Lee is an important salary cut that had to be done.  Crawford is one of the few assets with value here, and one of the few that can actually get us some worthwhile return back.  Bayless pretty much replaces what Crawford offers, meaning we can basically trade Crawford out (and get value in return) yet more or less still have a Crawford-like player here.

Basically it lets us have our cake and eat it too.

Bayless is also on a smaller contract than Crawford.

Like it.

« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2014, 09:32:39 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

How does it make us a better team this year?

Lee's been great in his role, Bayless has been playing poorly for the Grizzlies.

Fills a void. Allow me to explain with zero science and all the bias in the world.

Right now our PG lineup is:

J-Craw, Phil Pressey (5-10 mins)

Note how I did not include J-Craw's minutes.

This is because the J-Craw we need shows up 6.5 - 8.5 out of every 10 games. So here's a breakdown.

When good J-Craw is with the team, our PG lineup becomes:

PG J-Craw (love you Craw!) (25-35 mins), Phil Pressey (5-10 mins)

When putrid J-Craw shows up, our PG lineup is:

Chucker Craw (omg kill me), "Point Guard Avery Bradley" (FML) (5-10 mins), Phil Pressey (5-10 mins)

The omission of J-Craw's minutes, for the second time, is not a mistake. Chucker Craw could be a point guard, but he also could be a streetballer-ballstopper ala Marshon Brooks.

With Bayless, we could potentially have a point guard more often than not, every game!

Put Bayless on the floor with J-Craw? It's a numbers game. The chance that one out of the two decides not to chuck and actually run the team is far greater than if we only put one of them on the floor.

If we're lucky, we might even have a point guard for 40 minutes...hell 48 minutes!

The worst that could happen is we'll never ever see Avery Bradley "play point guard" ever again. *shudders*

« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2014, 09:36:17 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

Put Bayless on the floor with J-Craw? It's a numbers game. The chance that one out of the two decides not to chuck and actually run the team is far greater than if we only put one of them on the floor.

If we're lucky, we might even have a point guard for 40 minutes...hell 48 minutes!

The worst that could happen is we'll never ever see Avery Bradley "play point guard" ever again. *shudders*

If you're saying something like this just realize he is at in the same level of a passer as Crawford is.  That's the whole thing that makes Crawford appealing moving into a PG role, even as a gunner.  As I said, the other day had a 9 assists game even when he wasn't hot.  I don't think you'll get that from Bayless.  He can be a PG on your line up sheet, but he isn't a passer.  Know that going in.

He will be able to play PG mins but I just don't think it's going to be the same.  If he isn't hot he will give you nothing.

And that is what it is.  He will very possibly be better for us than Lee anyways (as I say above, we could use some gunners to force the issue and create shots).

« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I don't think replacing one of our SGs with a smaller player who shoots worse is going to make our offense better.

He's been playing mostly SG for about two years now and hasn't been much of a playmaker for Memphis. Plus defensively he's a downgrade from Lee.

« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2014, 09:50:11 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
The team's not upgraded at all, but that's not the concern - cap space this summer is.

« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
So this was a straight up swap?
Did we use the trade exception and did they use there's  bc I thought salaries didn't match...

To be clear no other pieces were involved? Picks or salary fillers?
Memphis needs to send out more salary, probably someone like Mike Miller.

Memphis absorbed Lee's deal using their exception from the Rudy Gay trade.
Has it been confirmed that's whats happening? I haven't seen a "final" construction of the trade. Just that its happening.

And if I understand it correctly, Boston basically trades Lee to Memphis first in exchanges for the matching piece of their trade exception ($5.whatever mil), then Memphis does the same from Boston? Essentially, two separate trades for the respective exceptions, and Boston loses $3.135mil of the PP trade exception....
Mike

(My name is not Mike)