Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48197 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2014, 09:02:13 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Loving this trade. Bayless has that swagger the team is missing.

Better than Jcraw. People will see. 

« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2014, 09:07:04 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
BTW, howmany of the CB old timers remember the trade Rondo for Bayless threads years ago and how people scoffed at how Portland would never trade a talent like Bayless who could shoot and score for someone like Rondo.

You know how it is. Any young pg that has a decent stretch of play is either better than Rondo or "soon will be".
That's not how it is.

That's how it's been since 2008. Many of your lists of point guards better than Rondo include a list of players that "soon will be". Bayless fit the bill for many. So did Jennings. So did Conley. Also Lowry. The list is long and storied.

« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:39 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

you make it sound like you think the Cs did it for bball purposes.

it's a pure salary dump.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Without reading 7 pages to see if this came up, I wonder if Houston would be more interested in Bass/Bayless(expiring) than Bass/Lee to go with the Clips pick. It's, what, $13M less in salary?

Bayless probably can't be traded on the trade deadline... that's why Houston wanted to trade Asik in mid December.

Ah, yes, the "deadline". Maybe the trade makes us more likely to trade Bass and an expiring (Crawford or Brooks) for Asik. Either way it saves Houston from having Lee on the books for the next two years, so it would sweeten the pot for them, so to speak.

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2014, 09:13:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

it's a pure salary dump.

it's only half the equation. Ainge wanted Bayless last year

Lee while a good off the bench guy is not going to help us. Bayless can be clutch and get hot fast. Could be a starter on several teams imo

Not having a great year statistic wise, but he has torched us enough times.  Maybe as a celtic he will have a even better year

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
BTW, howmany of the CB old timers remember the trade Rondo for Bayless threads years ago and how people scoffed at how Portland would never trade a talent like Bayless who could shoot and score for someone like Rondo.

You know how it is. Any young pg that has a decent stretch of play is either better than Rondo or "soon will be".
That's not how it is.

That's how it's been since 2008. Many of your lists of point guards better than Rondo include a list of players that "soon will be". Bayless fit the bill for many. So did Jennings. So did Conley. Also Lowry. The list is long and storied.

Newsflash: This thread has nothing to do with your Rondo obsession. Pipe down.

Learn to read. I didn't start the conversation.

« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

it's a pure salary dump.

Lee while a good off the bench guy is not going to help us. Bayless can be clutch and get hot fast. Could be a starter on several teams imo

Not having a great year statistic wise, but he has torched us enough times.  Maybe as a celtic he will have a even better year

A starter as a PG or as a SG?

I kind of see him as really redundant with Crawford, which is why I ask.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

it's a pure salary dump.

If Bayless plays truly well? Maybe... maybe they care about his place in the future of the Cs.

But he's an expiring deal, and gives them some room under the lux tax right now. As a management decision, this was all about cutting Lee's remaining two plus years.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2014, 09:30:59 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Like this deal very much ... Bayless' numbers have dropped this season, but there are obvious reasons. This kid can go off, and if he finds a home here this could be very good in the long-run, too.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

That's not how it is.

now you are being silly.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Without reading 7 pages to see if this came up, I wonder if Houston would be more interested in Bass/Bayless(expiring) than Bass/Lee to go with the Clips pick. It's, what, $13M less in salary?

That's a good idea but I don't think it's possible now.
But now that Lee is gone, perhaps we can move Bogans+Bass for Asik?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
If this was considered a pure salary dump, Bayless would have zero chance to be with the team next year.

I doubt that is the case. Even with Rondo, you still need to keep a backup pg. When Rondo comesback, my gut feeling tells me, Pressey is going to be waived or sent to D league.  Kid has got lots of chances to straighten out his jump shot and he either misses them or to not look bad doesn't take em.

Bayless can be a pretty good backup pg solution for the next 2-3 years. Jcraw will be traded as soon as Ainge finds a suiter for him.  A future 2nd round pick is probably all that it will take, and DA is prob hoping for a 2014 one

People will see how Bayless will affect the team. It's not that he can score but he instills confidence. He can put you on his back, especially late in the game. JCraw prob has done it one or two times (though screwed up several more). But there has been nobody else. We got a team with a bunch of nice guys or not enough confidence in their capabilities to help this team comeback or runaway from a close game

« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2014, 09:43:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's a good idea but I don't think it's possible now.
But now that Lee is gone, perhaps we can move Bogans+Bass for Asik?
My guess here is that with Bogans always being on the Celtics during the initial trade negotiations that a Bogans and Bass for Asik deal was always on the table, was discussed and rejected.

Morey is looking for players to compliment this year's team and future assets, not necessarily just salary relief. I don't think Bass fits the bill as the type of player they want to add to their team. I think they want a more athletically gifted PF like player that excels at either three point shooting, rebounding or defense of stretch 4's.

Plus Morey being the greedy, I need to dominate every trade type of GM(really like that about him) also wants a pick. So perhaps if Danny included a 2014 pick with bass and Bogans then maybe but I find that unlikely.

« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2014, 09:51:20 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

it's a pure salary dump.

If Bayless plays truly well? Maybe... maybe they care about his place in the future of the Cs.

But he's an expiring deal, and gives them some room under the lux tax right now. As a management decision, this was all about cutting Lee's remaining two plus years.

Yeah but we need a point guard who can run the offense not just look for his own shot. Win win all around.

« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nJ28rjI7KI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Q2NpHwnrg

Bayless torching us. Bradley was on him like Glue in the 2nd clip, hand in his face, but he still went off.

We need him to do this for us the rest of the way. All in all a very nice trade by DA.