Author Topic: if you were Houston - Bass or Young  (Read 4436 times)

Re: if you were Houston - Bass or Young
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Another angle is Young has 3 years (balance of this season plus 2 more) at about $9M average and Bass has 2 years at about $6.7 average.  Both seem like they can play to their contracts but it could be a factor as to why Houston has not jumped at getting Young as I am with the others that have said that if Houston could get Young straight up for Asik, the should do it already.
I don't think the contract is a factor, it looks to me like they want picks rather than players.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well the real question is would you rather have Young, or Bass+pick.
Or given how 76ers played it, Young - pick.

What do you mean?

You think the Sixers would give up Thad AND a pick?
It sounds like the 76ers were demanding more than just Asik for Young. So the Rockets would have to send a pick or other asset to get young.

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Well the real question is would you rather have Young, or Bass+pick.
Or given how 76ers played it, Young - pick.

What do you mean?

You think the Sixers would give up Thad AND a pick?
It sounds like the 76ers were demanding more than just Asik for Young. So the Rockets would have to send a pick or other asset to get young.

Ohh, I gotcha. Misunderstood.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 04:56:22 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
so the 76ers want Asik AND picks?? I'd hang the phone up too...
So then the Cs are just hoping that no other LEastern Conference PF gets hurt or Amnesty(ied)  - see Carlos Boozer, so that Hou has to pick between Asik/picks for Young or as a fall back Bass/picks for Asik....
anyone else see it like this?

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 05:10:41 PM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Yeah jaketwice, I've actually been pretty pleased with Humphries. If I could sign him for $6-7 million a year next season I would. He plays the same way every night - he's physical and he eats up space. He puts up steady middle of the road numbers and has the occasional 18 & 12 game - I like that off the bench.

That being said, if I'm Houston, I'm not looking for a short term, middle of the road solution - I;m looking for one more impact player to go alongside Howard and Harden for the long term.

Bass is a good player - not an impact player.
With parsons and Harden in place, Young is redundant, especially at his contract.

No - I take Humphries and a 1st round pick. I bolster my front line nicely for a physical playoff run this year.
I get the cap relief at the end of the season and either this summer or next when Lin comes off the books, I go after one more "serious" piece to go with Howard and Harden.

I try to re-sign Humphries in the off season as well, but to a reasonable contract.

Moving Asik for a pick and cap space is a very smart move. They are not likely to land the last impact player they are looking for trading from a position of weakness with Asik.

They can get that player by having $$$ when he becomes available, this summer or next.

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 05:12:30 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Young is far superior than bass... also if Young's name keeps floating around why doesnt Danny make a move... it sounds like he can be had for very little

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 06:14:41 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
so the 76ers want Asik AND picks?? I'd hang the phone up too...
So then the Cs are just hoping that no other LEastern Conference PF gets hurt or Amnesty(ied)  - see Carlos Boozer, so that Hou has to pick between Asik/picks for Young or as a fall back Bass/picks for Asik....
anyone else see it like this?

Thad Young>>>>>>Bass>>>Asik

I wouldn't send a pick for Asik, either. Of course, if it depended on Morey, he'd get LeBron+pick for Omer-Wilt-Kareem-Asik and his cap-friendly 15M salary next season.

But the fact Asik is still a Rocket is the combined effect of three main reasons:

- Asik's contract is difficult to flip if he doesn't work with your team because of the off-cap extra money. Teams may like Asik, but if you want to send him elsewhere, you'll have to wait until 2015 trade deadline and send some money with him. Not the best plan B scenario.

- Asik is an above average defensive player, so his 8.4M against the cap is a fair salary, but he's been underpaid the first 2 seasons in Houston and another team has to overpay for him. If he had a "normal" contract, Morey would have his first rounder an Asik would be playing somewhere else. But that's not the case.

- Asik is good on defense, terrible on offense. His offensive range is O to 3 feet, after that he can't make 30% of his shoots (2012-2013, his best season). Asik could fit in a stacked offensive lineup, like the 2008 Celtics, or 2014 OKC Thunder, but not on every team out there. So, his market is limited.

Bass could be more useful to Houston, although he might or might not fit well with Dwightmare. Thad Young is even better than Bass, and of course the Sixers would ask for more than Asik. I'd do it, too, and any GM in the League not named Billy King or Bryan Colangelo would, too.

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Young without a doubt
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin