Author Topic: Imho, there is a huge drop off after Parker and Embiid. We need a top two pick.  (Read 30655 times)

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I'm going to give up on this thread.  To be CLEAR, I don't think its a "two man draft." I do think you have two guys who are going to be sure thing NBA stars. I think you then MAY have other guys who are as good but I think the odds are you have a possible Dr. J and a possible Hakeem and than a drop off to Zach Randolph and then Bobby Dandrige knock offs. The rest of the draft can be good but I think Embiid and Parker are the guys who will have by far, the best NBA careers and I'd be looking to move up to two.

The main point was how do we move up to 2 from say 6 without losing too many assets?

If there is a "Huge" dropoff after #2, you don't.  Plain and simple.  You can move up, but it will cost you a lot.  Probably Rondo and #6, because no team wants to be seen as trading that #2 for a collection of lesser picks or NBA role players in a league where you need multiple stars to win.

My point is that there isn't a huge dropoff (although I highly doubt Embiid goes #2 anyway), and I wouldn't go all out to pay that price.  I'd call, and see what it was, but it's going to be too costly to be worth it.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I'm going to give up on this thread.  To be CLEAR, I don't think its a "two man draft." I do think you have two guys who are going to be sure thing NBA stars. I think you then MAY have other guys who are as good but I think the odds are you have a possible Dr. J and a possible Hakeem and than a drop off to Zach Randolph and then Bobby Dandrige knock offs. The rest of the draft can be good but I think Embiid and Parker are the guys who will have by far, the best NBA careers and I'd be looking to move up to two.

The main point was how do we move up to 2 from say 6 without losing too many assets?

If there is a "Huge" dropoff after #2, you don't.  Plain and simple.  You can move up, but it will cost you a lot.  Probably Rondo and #6, because no team wants to be seen as trading that #2 for a collection of lesser picks or NBA role players in a league where you need multiple stars to win.

My point is that there isn't a huge dropoff (although I highly doubt Embiid goes #2 anyway), and I wouldn't go all out to pay that price.  I'd call, and see what it was, but it's going to be too costly to be worth it.
That's probably the best answer you are going to get wahz.

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

I don't think it's possible.  The NBA is all about quality of quantity, so no team is gonna move a top 2 pick in this draft for something outside the top 5, regardless of what we package with it.

This is why I am a big propenent of getting as many unprotected picks in this draft as possible.  I'd still like to see shop Rondo to a losing team in desparate need of a big-name player. 

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
But the point was to start a discussion about how to move up into the top two, and I understand your point: Am I right that in 2020 it will look like Parker and Embiid should go one and two? I hope I'm wrong, actually, since I doubt we pick in the top two.

I would still take Wiggins over Parker.  Parker is gonna be a great scorer in the league, but I still feel that Wiggins can be a monster on both ends of the court.  And right now Exum and Embiid are still neck and neck for me as prospects.  I think the sky is the limit for both of those kids.  I love me some bigs so I'd be thrilled if we can score Embiid, but Exum's combo of length/first-step/instinct/coachability is drool-inducing.  I'm not as high on Randle since I think the C's already have a PF for the future in Sully, but I could definitely see him as a 25/10 guy in his prime (if he gets matched with a good p'n'r partner).

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
But the point was to start a discussion about how to move up into the top two, and I understand your point: Am I right that in 2020 it will look like Parker and Embiid should go one and two? I hope I'm wrong, actually, since I doubt we pick in the top two.

I would still take Wiggins over Parker.  Parker is gonna be a great scorer in the league, but I still feel that Wiggins can be a monster on both ends of the court.  And right now Exum and Embiid are still neck and neck for me as prospects.  I think the sky is the limit for both of those kids.  I love me some bigs so I'd be thrilled if we can score Embiid, but Exum's combo of length/first-step/instinct/coachability is drool-inducing.  I'm not as high on Randle since I think the C's already have a PF for the future in Sully, but I could definitely see him as a 25/10 guy in his prime (if he gets matched with a good p'n'r partner).

While Wiggins is more athletic, much more, giving him more defensive potential, I can't see him executing moves like Jabari can. Parker just has it all offensively, and is a solid rebounder. He also hustles on defense which is half the battle.

I agree on Embiid, been watching videos on him and I'd be thrilled if the Celtic's landed him.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.