Author Topic: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was  (Read 21424 times)

Re: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
rondo = overrated around here, underrated around the rest of the country, imo

will be interested how he performs now that he is "the man" on this team

I think that if you quantified how Rondo's rated around the league it would be well higher than how he's rated here.

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Now that nba.com lets you watch video of literally any stat, I'm seriously considering inventing the "Lowlight Video" where it's just clips of missed shots and turnovers set to banging club music.

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Now that nba.com lets you watch video of literally any stat, I'm seriously considering inventing the "Lowlight Video" where it's just clips of missed shots and turnovers set to banging club music.

Something like this?:

http://deadspin.com/cody-zeller-made-the-poor-decision-to-attempt-dunking-1492957932

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it's safe to say he has a higher basketball IQ than

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Kaufman

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Woah.. that guy looks awesome.  We should trade for him.  Do you think the Celtics would take Humph's expiring contract, Oly and both of our 2014 1st rounders for him?

Why for Celtics:  They get a young player (Oly) + two future first rounders to build around + a fat expiring contract in Humph.  Helps the Celtics bottom out this year and get a top pick in the draft.

Why for Boston: Yes, it would be tough giving up all those assets, but they'd get an elite Top 20 PG out of it.  You stick that guy with Jeff Green, Sully, Bradley and Asik and you could probably get Boston to 35 wins and the 8th seed in the playoffs.

Works in the trade machine:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=larbrd33

Somehow, when I see a trade where Boston trades with itself I think of your constant attempts to convince others that Rondo's a "top 20" point guard. Generally similar amount of effectiveness and all.

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
didn't need a reminder he's a great player, just reminded me of how much I miss watching him play :(

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
Woah.. that guy looks awesome.  We should trade for him.  Do you think the Celtics would take Humph's expiring contract, Oly and both of our 2014 1st rounders for him?

Why for Celtics:  They get a young player (Oly) + two future first rounders to build around + a fat expiring contract in Humph.  Helps the Celtics bottom out this year and get a top pick in the draft.

Why for Boston: Yes, it would be tough giving up all those assets, but they'd get an elite Top 20 PG out of it.  You stick that guy with Jeff Green, Sully, Bradley and Asik and you could probably get Boston to 35 wins and the 8th seed in the playoffs.

Somehow, when I see a trade where Boston trades with itself I think of your constant attempts to convince others that Rondo's a "top 20" point guard. Generally similar amount of effectiveness and all.

Well the trade does help both sides...
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Thanks for posting.

I haven't forgotten.  I watch those videos almost daily. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I think that if you quantified how Rondo's rated around the league it would be well higher than how he's rated here.

Not as long as you're skewing the average towards Point God.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Really? In their pre-season player rankings, ESPN ranked Rondo as the 27th best player in the league. However, I believe you have him as either a top 5 or top 10 player.

I have him as a top 8 PG with Paul, Williams, Irving, Parker, Curry, Westbrook, and Lillard ahead of him. Wall and Bledsoe (if you want to consider him a PG) are quickly closing ground though.

« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Tim, I think you're being unfair to Rondo when you suggest he isn't a Top 20 Point guard.  Can you seriously name 20 guys better than him?  I say he's definitely in the Top 20.  I'm surprised you don't think he belongs.  And you call yourself a fan!??!

« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Really? In their pre-season player rankings, ESPN ranked Rondo as the 27th best player in the league. However, I believe you have him as either a top 5 or top 10 player.

Obviously his knee injury affected his rankings. In his last full season ESPN ranked him 12th and he was 3rd team all-nba (13th in total votes), 11th in all-star voting, 2nd team all-defense. That's not that far from what I've said in the past (top 15 or so during the season, top 5 in the playoffs when healthy). People spend a lot of time ridiculing my opinion of Rondo but it's fairly mainstream.

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Tim, I think you're being unfair to Rondo when you suggest he isn't a Top 20 Point guard.  Can you seriously name 20 guys better than him?  I say he's definitely in the Top 20.  I'm surprised you don't think he belongs.  And you call yourself a fan!??!

You're right. If you're looking for fair, a good rule of thumb to use is to take the number of players/point guards you have rated above Rondo and divide by 4.

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Obviously his knee injury affected his rankings. In his last full season ESPN ranked him 12th and he was 3rd team all-nba (13th in total votes), 11th in all-star voting, 2nd team all-defense. That's not that far from what I've said in the past (top 15 or so during the season, top 5 in the playoffs when healthy). People spend a lot of time ridiculing my opinion of Rondo but it's fairly mainstream.

Well, keep in mind that Westbrook, Rose, and Kobe were all ranked ahead of him and they all were dealing with injuries as well.

The league has changed a good bit since Rondo was ranked 12th. Harden, George, Irving, Lillard, Curry, etc. have all emerged. And with all the young players (Anthony Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc.) continuing to rise, him being top 15, as you said, remains in question.

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
1:56 that backward flick pass to Ray was a beauty, remember it like yesterday
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk