Author Topic: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was  (Read 5681 times)

Offline BballTim

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 943
Re: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
rondo = overrated around here, underrated around the rest of the country, imo

will be interested how he performs now that he is "the man" on this team

I think that if you quantified how Rondo's rated around the league it would be well higher than how he's rated here.

Offline LarBrd33

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 551
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 02:16:31 PM »
Now that nba.com lets you watch video of literally any stat, I'm seriously considering inventing the "Lowlight Video" where it's just clips of missed shots and turnovers set to banging club music.

Offline IndeedProceed

• Global Moderator
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1767
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 02:27:22 PM »
Now that nba.com lets you watch video of literally any stat, I'm seriously considering inventing the "Lowlight Video" where it's just clips of missed shots and turnovers set to banging club music.

Something like this?:

http://deadspin.com/cody-zeller-made-the-poor-decision-to-attempt-dunking-1492957932

DKC Portland Trailblazers Team Card
Questions about the DKC? Ask here: LINK

Offline Celtics4ever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 409
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 02:38:52 PM »
I think it's safe to say he has a higher basketball IQ than

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Kaufman

Offline BballTim

• Robert Parish
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
Woah.. that guy looks awesome.  We should trade for him.  Do you think the Celtics would take Humph's expiring contract, Oly and both of our 2014 1st rounders for him?

Why for Celtics:  They get a young player (Oly) + two future first rounders to build around + a fat expiring contract in Humph.  Helps the Celtics bottom out this year and get a top pick in the draft.

Why for Boston: Yes, it would be tough giving up all those assets, but they'd get an elite Top 20 PG out of it.  You stick that guy with Jeff Green, Sully, Bradley and Asik and you could probably get Boston to 35 wins and the 8th seed in the playoffs.

Works in the trade machine:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=larbrd33

Somehow, when I see a trade where Boston trades with itself I think of your constant attempts to convince others that Rondo's a "top 20" point guard. Generally similar amount of effectiveness and all.

Offline slamtheking

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 2169
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
didn't need a reminder he's a great player, just reminded me of how much I miss watching him play :(
Pick 2 Draft 2014: Cleveland Cavs:
Starters:
Kyrie Irving, Kevin Martin, Luol Deng, Serge Ibaka, Nikola Vucevic.
Bench: Andray Blatche, Tyreke Evans, Corey Brewer, Kosta Koufos, Rodney Stuckey, Anthony Morrow, Reggie Evans

Offline bballdog384

• Brandon Bass
  • Tommy Points: 45
  • Rondolope
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2014, 03:18:48 PM »
Woah.. that guy looks awesome.  We should trade for him.  Do you think the Celtics would take Humph's expiring contract, Oly and both of our 2014 1st rounders for him?

Why for Celtics:  They get a young player (Oly) + two future first rounders to build around + a fat expiring contract in Humph.  Helps the Celtics bottom out this year and get a top pick in the draft.

Why for Boston: Yes, it would be tough giving up all those assets, but they'd get an elite Top 20 PG out of it.  You stick that guy with Jeff Green, Sully, Bradley and Asik and you could probably get Boston to 35 wins and the 8th seed in the playoffs.

Somehow, when I see a trade where Boston trades with itself I think of your constant attempts to convince others that Rondo's a "top 20" point guard. Generally similar amount of effectiveness and all.

Well the trade does help both sides...

Offline Celtics18

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 775
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2014, 03:33:26 PM »
Thanks for posting.

I haven't forgotten.  I watch those videos almost daily. 
Philadelphia Seventy-Sixers  DKC General Manager

Kendall Marshall/Dennis Schroeder/Marquis Teague/Ray McCallum
Evan Turner/Roger Mason Jr./Jason Richardson(injured)
Thaddeus Young/Victor Claver/Otto Porter
Spencer Hawes/Darrell Arthur/Erik Murphy
Timofey Mozgov/Lavoy Allen

Offline D.o.s.

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 328
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »

I think that if you quantified how Rondo's rated around the league it would be well higher than how he's rated here.

Not as long as you're skewing the average towards Point God.
Michael Jordan: It's a man's game, and you can't play.
 Bill Murray: It's 'cause I'm white, isn't it?
Michael Jordan: No. Larry's white, so what?
Bill Murray: Larry's not white. Larry's clear.

not sure the point of this thread.

Offline Eddie20

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 143
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »

Really? In their pre-season player rankings, ESPN ranked Rondo as the 27th best player in the league. However, I believe you have him as either a top 5 or top 10 player.

I have him as a top 8 PG with Paul, Williams, Irving, Parker, Curry, Westbrook, and Lillard ahead of him. Wall and Bledsoe (if you want to consider him a PG) are quickly closing ground though.

Offline LarBrd33

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 551
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »

Tim, I think you're being unfair to Rondo when you suggest he isn't a Top 20 Point guard.  Can you seriously name 20 guys better than him?  I say he's definitely in the Top 20.  I'm surprised you don't think he belongs.  And you call yourself a fan!??!

Offline BballTim

• Robert Parish
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2014, 04:07:10 PM »

Really? In their pre-season player rankings, ESPN ranked Rondo as the 27th best player in the league. However, I believe you have him as either a top 5 or top 10 player.

Obviously his knee injury affected his rankings. In his last full season ESPN ranked him 12th and he was 3rd team all-nba (13th in total votes), 11th in all-star voting, 2nd team all-defense. That's not that far from what I've said in the past (top 15 or so during the season, top 5 in the playoffs when healthy). People spend a lot of time ridiculing my opinion of Rondo but it's fairly mainstream.

Offline BballTim

• Robert Parish
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2014, 04:09:55 PM »

Tim, I think you're being unfair to Rondo when you suggest he isn't a Top 20 Point guard.  Can you seriously name 20 guys better than him?  I say he's definitely in the Top 20.  I'm surprised you don't think he belongs.  And you call yourself a fan!??!

You're right. If you're looking for fair, a good rule of thumb to use is to take the number of players/point guards you have rated above Rondo and divide by 4.

Offline Eddie20

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 143
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2014, 04:25:41 PM »

Obviously his knee injury affected his rankings. In his last full season ESPN ranked him 12th and he was 3rd team all-nba (13th in total votes), 11th in all-star voting, 2nd team all-defense. That's not that far from what I've said in the past (top 15 or so during the season, top 5 in the playoffs when healthy). People spend a lot of time ridiculing my opinion of Rondo but it's fairly mainstream.

Well, keep in mind that Westbrook, Rose, and Kobe were all ranked ahead of him and they all were dealing with injuries as well.

The league has changed a good bit since Rondo was ranked 12th. Harden, George, Irving, Lillard, Curry, etc. have all emerged. And with all the young players (Anthony Davis, Cousins, Drummond, etc.) continuing to rise, him being top 15, as you said, remains in question.

Offline j804

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 660
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2014, 04:30:48 PM »
1:56 that backward flick pass to Ray was a beauty, remember it like yesterday