Author Topic: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was  (Read 21421 times)

Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was
« on: January 05, 2014, 10:47:22 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Just a little reminder here, because people often create threads, shopping him for scraps

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pkc5QFaUyM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WIoOWp0k24

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

Re: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 10:57:23 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I didn't need a reminder. but I watched anyway.

And you're right I think a lot of fans forget how good rondo is and definitely need reminding.

I can't wait.

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 11:22:20 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
That bounce pass to Pierce in the lane through traffic is just a thing of beauty.  I remember when he did that in the game and it's nice to see that in a highlight reel otherwise filled with around the back passes. It's probably the most difficult pass on that video.

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:21 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
please dont ever get hurt again!

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Great reminder, Clench.  Here's another great Top 10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHFwwwle-qw

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:36:31 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
rondo = overrated around here, underrated around the rest of the country, imo

will be interested how he performs now that he is "the man" on this team

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 11:38:13 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't know that Rondo's overrated or underrated on here... I think that between all of our various opinions we know exactly how he stacks up.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 11:38:43 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Yes, The Aggressive Rondo is a Top 5-10 Player in this league...but I also won't forget the Passive Rondo, who is less than an average player....Playoffs Rondo is another thing all together.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 12:29:30 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
Yes, The Aggressive Rondo is a Top 5-10 Player in this league...but I also won't forget the Passive Rondo, who is less than an average player....Playoffs Rondo is another thing all together.

this is exactly how i feel.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:30:33 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
I don't know that Rondo's overrated or underrated on here... I think that between all of our various opinions we know exactly how he stacks up.

celtics nation is a lot bigger than just this site.

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:01:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'd call passive Rondo average, because all players have games, and stretches within games, where they're just not as locked in.  Adrenaline will do that to you.  We just notice more with Rondo for reasons I don't know.  PP would have his times where he just wanted to iso every time down the court, KG would have his days where he'd not be aggressive offensively.  Kobe has his chucker games.  LeBron disappears now and again.

Rondo gives a ton of effort most games.  Heck, he played 12 minutes on a torn ACL.  But that effort won't be there 100% of the time, because it just can't.  People need to live with it, and start appreciating him for what he is.

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

I'd call passive Rondo average, because all players have games, and stretches within games, where they're just not as locked in.  Adrenaline will do that to you.  We just notice more with Rondo for reasons I don't know.  PP would have his times where he just wanted to iso every time down the court, KG would have his days where he'd not be aggressive offensively.  Kobe has his chucker games.  LeBron disappears now and again.

Rondo gives a ton of effort most games.  Heck, he played 12 minutes on a torn ACL.  But that effort won't be there 100% of the time, because it just can't.  People need to live with it, and start appreciating him for what he is.

my thoughts exactly, passive Rondo, average player, maybe even borderline all-star

aggressive rondo - all-star material, top 5-10 player.

Playoff Rondo - HOF

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I am really becoming a heel in my own mind. My natural first-off response was, "I bet Bulls fans watched a lot of highlight reels too."

Ugh, even I hate response. I miss Rondo.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »

Offline wahz

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 101

I think a lot of his critics don't realize or don't want to consider that he isn't a big guy and when he is in aggressive mode he is taking a beating. He paces himself, and imho, he has been wise to do so, most of the time.

I have been irritated with his lackluster efforts too but the bottom line is when he goes all out, he is a top 5-10 player and he simply CAN'T go all out all the time.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 01:53:03 PM by wahz »

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:25 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Woah.. that guy looks awesome.  We should trade for him.  Do you think the Celtics would take Humph's expiring contract, Oly and both of our 2014 1st rounders for him?

Why for Celtics:  They get a young player (Oly) + two future first rounders to build around + a fat expiring contract in Humph.  Helps the Celtics bottom out this year and get a top pick in the draft.

Why for Boston: Yes, it would be tough giving up all those assets, but they'd get an elite Top 20 PG out of it.  You stick that guy with Jeff Green, Sully, Bradley and Asik and you could probably get Boston to 35 wins and the 8th seed in the playoffs.

Works in the trade machine:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=larbrd33
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 02:09:05 PM by LarBrd33 »