Author Topic: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was  (Read 21462 times)

Re: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That's my guess. Using a quick, dirty, and flawed scale, his injury/surgery/rehab was more severe then Westbrook and less severe than Rose or Kobe. He might come back looking like he's lost half a step initially, but I don't think it's a "never going to be the same" type thing if it really was just a partial tear.

I do think that he'll have a longer rust period than Rose or Westbrook because he's older, but I don't think that he'll be looking like Return-From-Achillies-Kobe.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2014, 11:29:22 AM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Kidd improved as a shooter, I don't see that happening with Rondo. At least Kidd could shoot 35% at 3 throughout his career, while Rondo has no real 3 range to speak of. And Kidd wasn't a huge FT liability, shooting a respectable .785 for his career. Rondo still plays like he's afraid to get fouled.

Rondo's positives are legitimate, but his unique negatives make him a difficult player to build around. There's no urgency to trade him now as he's taking his time coming back and still has a year remaining on his deal, but I wouldn't make him untouchable.

The main point is, the future star of this team is not on the roster yet. For all his brilliance, teams with Kidd as the best player never seriously contended for a title (see also Nash, Steve) and he was the best PG of his generation.

If/when the Celtics are able to acquire the next franchise cornerstone then the question is does Rondo fit in with that player skillwise and agewise, not the other way around.

You need to consider that Kidd was Rondo's current age (give or take) before he ever won a playoff series. If you compare Kidd up to the age Rondo was last season  (http://bkref.com/tiny/pGkYF) you see that statistically they're fairly similar, with Kidd probably having a slight advantage in the regular season and Rondo having a somewhat larger advantage in the playoffs. Also note that, while Kidd was the better ft and 3p shooter he was a less efficient scorer than Rondo, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Also note that he got to the line less often than Rondo, both in the regular season and playoffs.

Also, take a look at Kidd's overall career (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kiddja01.html). If you look at his playoff stats, his two (arguably) best statistical years came when he was older than Rondo is and led to trips to the finals. He averaged roughly 20/8/9 with a TS% of about .503 over those two years. In Rondo's last playoffs he averaged 17/7/12 with a TS% of .505.

So if you compare Rondo to Kidd Rondo's at least on par (statistically) to Kidd at the same point in their careers and he's played as well (statistically) as Kidd's best playoff series (which came when he was older than Rondo is).

Right but then you start having to compare teams and situations and Kidd will win that argument. A young Kidd never played on a team with talent like Pierce, Garnett, and Allen. It seems logical that his offensive efficiency would improve if he played with such a strong set of veteran teammates.

In Dallas and Phoenix Kidd had to settle for good but not great players like Jimmy Jackson and Mashburn, then Penny and Googs.

Anyway, Kidd could at least hit 70 3s his rookie year while Rondo only has 75 in his ENTIRE CAREER. Kidd's FT stabilized at high 700s/low 800s at age 24. I have to think that those numbers aren't entirely meaningless when attempting to project how much improvement a PG can make in his shot going forward.

Of course I hope Rondo can make his jumper legitimate, but don't you think it's weird that he can't even crack .650 on FT%? Is there another PG who had such a low FT% and also became a good shooter? The only other "star" PG I can think of with such a low FT% is Baron Davis, and Rondo is even lower than he was.

« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2014, 11:37:57 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
That's my guess. Using a quick, dirty, and flawed scale, his injury/surgery/rehab was more severe then Westbrook and less severe than Rose or Kobe. He might come back looking like he's lost half a step initially, but I don't think it's a "never going to be the same" type thing if it really was just a partial tear.

I do think that he'll have a longer rust period than Rose or Westbrook because he's older, but I don't think that he'll be looking like Return-From-Achillies-Kobe.

Rondo's game is based more on skill and BBIQ, Rose's and Westbrook's games are based more on athletecism. I wouldn't expect him to look worse in his recovery than them. Also, he's 27, not 34. Any effect of his advanced age on his recovery would be slight.

« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Kidd improved as a shooter, I don't see that happening with Rondo. At least Kidd could shoot 35% at 3 throughout his career, while Rondo has no real 3 range to speak of. And Kidd wasn't a huge FT liability, shooting a respectable .785 for his career. Rondo still plays like he's afraid to get fouled.

Rondo's positives are legitimate, but his unique negatives make him a difficult player to build around. There's no urgency to trade him now as he's taking his time coming back and still has a year remaining on his deal, but I wouldn't make him untouchable.

The main point is, the future star of this team is not on the roster yet. For all his brilliance, teams with Kidd as the best player never seriously contended for a title (see also Nash, Steve) and he was the best PG of his generation.

If/when the Celtics are able to acquire the next franchise cornerstone then the question is does Rondo fit in with that player skillwise and agewise, not the other way around.

You need to consider that Kidd was Rondo's current age (give or take) before he ever won a playoff series. If you compare Kidd up to the age Rondo was last season  (http://bkref.com/tiny/pGkYF) you see that statistically they're fairly similar, with Kidd probably having a slight advantage in the regular season and Rondo having a somewhat larger advantage in the playoffs. Also note that, while Kidd was the better ft and 3p shooter he was a less efficient scorer than Rondo, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Also note that he got to the line less often than Rondo, both in the regular season and playoffs.

Also, take a look at Kidd's overall career (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/k/kiddja01.html). If you look at his playoff stats, his two (arguably) best statistical years came when he was older than Rondo is and led to trips to the finals. He averaged roughly 20/8/9 with a TS% of about .503 over those two years. In Rondo's last playoffs he averaged 17/7/12 with a TS% of .505.

So if you compare Rondo to Kidd Rondo's at least on par (statistically) to Kidd at the same point in their careers and he's played as well (statistically) as Kidd's best playoff series (which came when he was older than Rondo is).

Right but then you start having to compare teams and situations and Kidd will win that argument. A young Kidd never played on a team with talent like Pierce, Garnett, and Allen. It seems logical that his offensive efficiency would improve if he played with such a strong set of veteran teammates.

In Dallas and Phoenix Kidd had to settle for good but not great players like Jimmy Jackson and Mashburn, then Penny and Googs.

You'd also have to consider that Kidd was the focal point of his teams and they were built around his strengths. Rondo's basically been a proverbial ferrari hitched to a large trailer. Also, Rondo had very talented teammates when he was younger, not so much in recent years. Look at PP/KG/RA now, they didn't fall off of cliffs, they got worse over time. If they were still on the Celts right now, though, there would be plenty of posts discounting what he does because he's playing with great offensive talents or (better still) HOFers.

In the 2008 finals Rondo sprained his ankle and was ineffective in the three games in LA, the Big three were able to go toe to toe offensively against a very strong Lakers team. In 2013 Rondo was out for the playoffs and his teammates were literally setting records for offensive ineptitude against a weak Knicks team. The strength of his teammates varied (decreased) over that time span, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think that some of Kidd's offensive teammates would rival what Rondo's had the last few years.

« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2014, 12:29:51 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I don't know that Rondo's overrated or underrated on here... I think that between all of our various opinions we know exactly how he stacks up.

celtics nation is a lot bigger than just this site.

^^ but not by much :)
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

A couple of other things worth mentioning. Kidd was never really an efficient scorer until near the end of his career when his scoring was mainly comprised of spot-up threes. It's true that his efficiency would have likely gone up playing with 08-10 (or so) big three, but his production would have dropped. He wouldn't be handling the ball as much with players like PP and KG on the team and his best shooting is still not on the level of the big three so the team wouldn't want him scoring a lot. If Kidd had the ball he'd face the same issues Rondo did but to a greater level because he's a poorer scorer outside of those spot-up threes than Rondo is.

« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2014, 01:06:44 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Also, earlier you mentioned how KG, Paul and ray were more efficient "because of Rondo".  That's like arguing that LeBron, Wade and Bosh are more efficient on Miami, "because of Chalmers".

Hold on there. 

Mario Chalmers is a mediocre PG in almost every respect, and his only real above average skills are his ability to hit open threes and his ability to play solid defense.  He's basically Derek Fisher 2.0, but without the clutch.  The only reason he is the starting PG in Miami is because they are about a gazillion dollars over the salary cap (due to said big three) and they cannot afford an upgrade at the point- anybody they could get for the mini-midlevel exception would be more of a sideways step rather than an upgrade.  The guy is a chump and would be a backup PG on 70% of teams out there.  Miami sucks at only two positions, and PG happens to be one of them...hence he gets to start.

Rajon Rondo on the other hand is arguably the greatest playmaking PG in the entire league for the last 2-3 years running.  Aside from Chris Paul and Steven Nash there has not been a single PG in the league with the court vision, IQ and passing skills anywhere near that of Rondo since Jason Kidd and John Stockton were in their primes.  No, even in his prime Deron was never on that level.

I think it's pretty difficult to deny the intangible impact that Jason Kidd had on the teams he played on.  He was never a great scoring PG, but he could still score 10-14 points per night.  His ability to combine that with exceptional defense, the best rebounding from his position, and the best playmaking skills in the league all combined to make him without question the best PG of his era.  Not only that, but he is a guarantee for the Hall of Fame and will go down in history as one of the greatest PG's to ever play.

Guys like Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin practically owe their careers to Jason Kidd, since he made both of those guys look like they were twice as good offensively as they really were.

Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett all signed with Boston as they had just reached the plateu of their careers, and after 2008 they all started a slow (but sure) decline.  Despite this, all three of those guys displayed career high scoring percentages while playing with Rondo:

1) In 2009-2010 Paul Pierce shot 47.2% from the field and 41.4% from three.  Both career highs.  In 2010-2010 he upped his FG% to 49.7%, which was a new career high.

2) In 2010-2011 Ray Allen shot 49.1% from the field and 44.4% from three.  Both career highs.  In 2012-2013 he shot 45.3% from three, which was a new career high.

3) Kevin Garnett shot over 52% from the field for four consecutive seasons after coming to Boston - 53.9% in 2007-2008, 53.1% in 2008-2009, 52.1% in 2009-2010 and 52.8% in 2010-2011.  Before coming to Boston he only shot over 52% one time (2005-2006) and his next best after that was 50.2% (2002-2003, 2004-2005). 

4) Since the big 3 era began Kendrick Perkins never shot below 54% from the field.  He shot 61.5% in 2007-2008, 57.7% in 2008-2009, 60.2% in 2009-2010 and 54.2% as a Celtic in 2010-2011.  Since being traded to OKC he has never shot above 50% from the field (his best was 49.3% as a member of the Thunder in 2010-2011). 

Despite the fact that Pierce, Ray and KG were all starting to decline when they came together in the 2007-2008 season, all three of thse guys (and Perk) all scored with career high efficiency while in Boston, playing alongside Rondo.

Yes, you can argue that in the early years some of those numbers (like KG's career high efficiency in 2007-2008) came before Rondo developed into the elite playmaker he is, and yes you could argue some of that had to do with the fact that three hall of famers (who were previously the best player on their team) had now combined and hence had two other hall of famers to distract defenders.  That doesn't explain how Perkin's shooting numbers dropped as soon as he moved to OKC, playing alongside guys like Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden. 

I've no doubts you can tweak those stas to tell you a different story if you want to, but I assure you those career high shooting percentages you saw from KG, Pierce, Ray and Perk while in Boston had a lot to do with Rondo's ability to constantly get them the ball in exactly the right place, at exactly the right time.  Pierce probably benefited least from this as he's good at creating his own shot.  Ray, Kevin and Kendrick however were all guys who without a doubt scored a LOT of points off Rajon Rondo assists.

I find it very hard to believe that those guys would have put up career high scorign efficiency numbers at that age if they had today's Mario Chalmers as their PG.  I imagine Pierce would have never shot over 46%, KG would have stayed up around 51% and Ray would have been down around 45%-45% at best.

Now, if somebody asks you whether Jason Kidd made his teammates better - would you say yes?  How about Steve Nash?  How about Chris Paul and John Stockton?  I think most people would agree that every one of those guys made everybody around them better.  Yes Paul, Nash and Stockton were also great shooters. Kidd was not.  Point Guards with elite playmaking ability are incredibly valuable in this league, and also incredibly rare.  Hell even all-star calibre big men are more common in the NBA then PG's with the playmaking ability of a Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo. 

If Rondo was a complete non-factor offensively (i.e. his offensive impact was on par with Gerald Wallace in his current state) then I would say yes, that offsets the valueof his passing skills.  That's not the case though, and Rondo has still been a double figure scorer every season since his sophomore year, and in that time has only ever once shot below 47.5% from the field.  If you can score at least 10 PPG and do so while shooting at least 47% from the field, as a pass-first PG, then you are not an offensive liability.
Yes... a couple years of Pierce/KG/Ray playing together along with Rondo's development from "role player" to "all-star" improved everyone's efficiency.  But suggesting that Pierce/KG/Ray only  had improved efficiency due to Rondo is ridiculous.  LeBron's efficiency has improved every year he's been in Miami despite the fact that Wade and Bosh have regressed.  Is that due to Chalmers?... or just the fact that players perform better after years of discovering each other's tendencies?   Rondo helped with the efficiency in 2010... but my point is there were quiet a few players you could have swapped Rondo with during that era and seen little change.  For instance, I think Steph Curry even at that stage of his career would have improved the efficiency of KG/Pierce/Ray more than Rondo could... simply because he would spread the floor and add another supreme shooting threat.  The team would have played differently, but not necessarily worse.

Also, I'm sick of talking about J-Kidd as some barometer for Rondo's future success.  J-Kidd made the finals in an era where the "Leastern Conference" was almost as bad as this one... except there was no teams like Miami or Indiana at the top of the conference.  They made the finals by default with 49-52 wins.  Iversons made the finals during that joke era.  Even a mediocre Pierce/Walker team nearly made the finals during that joke era.  They were all fodder for the loaded West.

The length of your post rivaled anything I'd write, though... so TP.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:14:08 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2014, 03:08:19 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Also, earlier you mentioned how KG, Paul and ray were more efficient "because of Rondo".  That's like arguing that LeBron, Wade and Bosh are more efficient on Miami, "because of Chalmers".

Hold on there. 

Mario Chalmers is a mediocre PG in almost every respect, and his only real above average skills are his ability to hit open threes and his ability to play solid defense.  He's basically Derek Fisher 2.0, but without the clutch.  The only reason he is the starting PG in Miami is because they are about a gazillion dollars over the salary cap (due to said big three) and they cannot afford an upgrade at the point- anybody they could get for the mini-midlevel exception would be more of a sideways step rather than an upgrade.  The guy is a chump and would be a backup PG on 70% of teams out there.  Miami sucks at only two positions, and PG happens to be one of them...hence he gets to start.

Rajon Rondo on the other hand is arguably the greatest playmaking PG in the entire league for the last 2-3 years running.  Aside from Chris Paul and Steven Nash there has not been a single PG in the league with the court vision, IQ and passing skills anywhere near that of Rondo since Jason Kidd and John Stockton were in their primes.  No, even in his prime Deron was never on that level.

I think it's pretty difficult to deny the intangible impact that Jason Kidd had on the teams he played on.  He was never a great scoring PG, but he could still score 10-14 points per night.  His ability to combine that with exceptional defense, the best rebounding from his position, and the best playmaking skills in the league all combined to make him without question the best PG of his era.  Not only that, but he is a guarantee for the Hall of Fame and will go down in history as one of the greatest PG's to ever play.

Guys like Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin practically owe their careers to Jason Kidd, since he made both of those guys look like they were twice as good offensively as they really were.

Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett all signed with Boston as they had just reached the plateu of their careers, and after 2008 they all started a slow (but sure) decline.  Despite this, all three of those guys displayed career high scoring percentages while playing with Rondo:

1) In 2009-2010 Paul Pierce shot 47.2% from the field and 41.4% from three.  Both career highs.  In 2010-2010 he upped his FG% to 49.7%, which was a new career high.

2) In 2010-2011 Ray Allen shot 49.1% from the field and 44.4% from three.  Both career highs.  In 2012-2013 he shot 45.3% from three, which was a new career high.

3) Kevin Garnett shot over 52% from the field for four consecutive seasons after coming to Boston - 53.9% in 2007-2008, 53.1% in 2008-2009, 52.1% in 2009-2010 and 52.8% in 2010-2011.  Before coming to Boston he only shot over 52% one time (2005-2006) and his next best after that was 50.2% (2002-2003, 2004-2005). 

4) Since the big 3 era began Kendrick Perkins never shot below 54% from the field.  He shot 61.5% in 2007-2008, 57.7% in 2008-2009, 60.2% in 2009-2010 and 54.2% as a Celtic in 2010-2011.  Since being traded to OKC he has never shot above 50% from the field (his best was 49.3% as a member of the Thunder in 2010-2011). 

Despite the fact that Pierce, Ray and KG were all starting to decline when they came together in the 2007-2008 season, all three of thse guys (and Perk) all scored with career high efficiency while in Boston, playing alongside Rondo.

Yes, you can argue that in the early years some of those numbers (like KG's career high efficiency in 2007-2008) came before Rondo developed into the elite playmaker he is, and yes you could argue some of that had to do with the fact that three hall of famers (who were previously the best player on their team) had now combined and hence had two other hall of famers to distract defenders.  That doesn't explain how Perkin's shooting numbers dropped as soon as he moved to OKC, playing alongside guys like Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden. 

I've no doubts you can tweak those stas to tell you a different story if you want to, but I assure you those career high shooting percentages you saw from KG, Pierce, Ray and Perk while in Boston had a lot to do with Rondo's ability to constantly get them the ball in exactly the right place, at exactly the right time.  Pierce probably benefited least from this as he's good at creating his own shot.  Ray, Kevin and Kendrick however were all guys who without a doubt scored a LOT of points off Rajon Rondo assists.

I find it very hard to believe that those guys would have put up career high scorign efficiency numbers at that age if they had today's Mario Chalmers as their PG.  I imagine Pierce would have never shot over 46%, KG would have stayed up around 51% and Ray would have been down around 45%-45% at best.

Now, if somebody asks you whether Jason Kidd made his teammates better - would you say yes?  How about Steve Nash?  How about Chris Paul and John Stockton?  I think most people would agree that every one of those guys made everybody around them better.  Yes Paul, Nash and Stockton were also great shooters. Kidd was not.  Point Guards with elite playmaking ability are incredibly valuable in this league, and also incredibly rare.  Hell even all-star calibre big men are more common in the NBA then PG's with the playmaking ability of a Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo. 

If Rondo was a complete non-factor offensively (i.e. his offensive impact was on par with Gerald Wallace in his current state) then I would say yes, that offsets the valueof his passing skills.  That's not the case though, and Rondo has still been a double figure scorer every season since his sophomore year, and in that time has only ever once shot below 47.5% from the field.  If you can score at least 10 PPG and do so while shooting at least 47% from the field, as a pass-first PG, then you are not an offensive liability.
Yes... a couple years of Pierce/KG/Ray playing together along with Rondo's development from "role player" to "all-star" improved everyone's efficiency.  But suggesting that Pierce/KG/Ray only  had improved efficiency due to Rondo is ridiculous.  LeBron's efficiency has improved every year he's been in Miami despite the fact that Wade and Bosh have regressed.  Is that due to Chalmers?... or just the fact that players perform better after years of discovering each other's tendencies?   Rondo helped with the efficiency in 2010..

It's not the same thing at all. Rondo's role in the Celts offense changed dramatically, Chalmers' role didn't. In LeBron's first year Chalmers had an AST% of 17 or so, this year it's 25. LeBron's has been higher all along, and has only dropped by a few percent. Wade's AST% (also as high or higher than Mario's) didn't drop at all. Rondo's AST% went from 28% in 2008 to 52.5% in 2012, KG and PP's dropped by 1/3 or so during that time. What changes (if any) to Mario's role would you attribute LeBron's play on? If none, why would you think that those two examples are remotely similar?

Also, if you look into the subject, I'll wager players are more likely to improve their scoring efficiencies in their mid-late 20s than they are in their mid 30s regardless of their teammates.

but my point is there were quiet a few players you could have swapped Rondo with during that era and seen little change.  For instance, I think Steph Curry even at that stage of his career would have improved the efficiency of KG/Pierce/Ray more than Rondo could... simply because he would spread the floor and add another supreme shooting threat.  The team would have played differently, but not necessarily worse.

You could claim that, but it's all conjecture. Is having somewhat better floor spacing more advantageous than getting easy shots off of Rondo's passes? Doubtful. If your theory was true at all it would have to have been early in the big three era, at least when Ray and KG could create their own shots easier. Also, you'd have to consider that replacing Rondo with a better shooter to space the floor (Eddie House, for instance) hurt the offense and our fg% as well.

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2014, 05:51:07 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
Rondo isn't better than Curry.  Just not true.  He's a fine PG... statistically Rondo in his prime could be a Top 5 PG this year.  But there are a couple guys who outclass him right now.  17 other guys who are basically interchangeable with him.

I think this is really the crux of the discussion. Does the fact that there are (apparently) 17 other PGs with "similar" efficiency ratings mean that there are 17 players that are basically interchangeable with him? Are there skills that point guards rely on that aren't measured by that stat? Can those skills vary greatly from pg to pg and can they have much of an impact on the game?

From your list, 17 players are probably within 5 on efficiency rating from Rondo's from last year. If that's "interchangeable", does that apply to other positions too? Does that mean players like Dirk, Pau, Amare and Webber are interchangeable with Duncan because their career efficiencies are close to his? I'd guess that Popovich would take issue with that.

Also, just out of curiosity, why, in your scenario, would a player with an efficiency rating about 4 points higher than Rondo's outclass him, yet players with ratings 5 points lower than him be basically interchangeable with him?
Tiers. 

I think Rondo is great.  I love the guy.  But I don't think he'd impact the game on the level of Stephen Curry right now.  That guy is an effective defender and completely carries his offense.  You could build a contender around Curry's efficient offense.  Dude is like Ray in his prime mixed with upper-level playmaking skills (nearly averaging 10 assists).  Rondo does a lot of things really well, but I don't think he could be the best player on a champion.

I'll keep an eye out for a few more GS games in case last night's game was somehow an aberration, but Curry's got the same playmaking skills I remember, not really top level. He's an elite level scorer, and his defense isn't really anything to write home about, but the difference in playmaking ability between the best in the game (Rondo/CP/Nash, even Deron) and Curry? Tiers. As in more than one. Clearly that wasn't his best shooting night, and I'd expect matchups dictated Iggy controlling the ball more than Curry down the stretch, but he didn't really have the look of an upper-level playmaker.