Author Topic: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was  (Read 21461 times)

Re: Just in case anyone around here forgot how good he was
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2014, 11:02:40 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Lol.  You guys are funny.  Rondo is a better rebounder than Curry.  Also a better passer.  Gets his teammates involved and makes everybody on the floor look like a million buck.

Oh boy.

Warriors have won 9 in a row.   Curry is averaging 23.3 points, 9.6 assists, 4.7 rebounds, 2 steals on 45%/41%/86% shooting.

Sure... Rondo has better career rebounding numbers.  If the main thing you look for in building a team is rebounding from your point guard, at least Rondo has that going for him.

As for Rondo making everyone on the floor look like a million buck... they were below .500 last season until he got injured.  Then everyone collectively played better and made the playoffs. 

There were plenty of reasons for the team's uneven play last year besides Rondo's injury. I'm sure many people here could break it down for you. As for Rondo making other players look better, players that had their most efficient scoring years with Rondo controlling the offense include PP, RA, Shaq and Wilcox.

Read what he wrote again.

I don't think I missed his point. I suppose I could have been more verbose in my response though.

He said that the team improved AFTER he was injured. He's not blaming Rondo's injury for the team's "uneven play" he's blaming Rondo's presence for it.

« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2014, 11:11:48 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
Lol.  You guys are funny.  Rondo is a better rebounder than Curry.  Also a better passer.  Gets his teammates involved and makes everybody on the floor look like a million buck.

Oh boy.

Warriors have won 9 in a row.   Curry is averaging 23.3 points, 9.6 assists, 4.7 rebounds, 2 steals on 45%/41%/86% shooting.

Sure... Rondo has better career rebounding numbers.  If the main thing you look for in building a team is rebounding from your point guard, at least Rondo has that going for him.

As for Rondo making everyone on the floor look like a million buck... they were below .500 last season until he got injured.  Then everyone collectively played better and made the playoffs. 

There were plenty of reasons for the team's uneven play last year besides Rondo's injury. I'm sure many people here could break it down for you. As for Rondo making other players look better, players that had their most efficient scoring years with Rondo controlling the offense include PP, RA, Shaq and Wilcox.

I don't think I missed his point. I suppose I could have been more verbose in my response though.

He said that the team improved AFTER he was injured. He's not blaming Rondo's injury for the team's "uneven play" he's blaming Rondo's presence for it.

The team did not improve after he was injured. Most likely had he been with the team, the record would have been the same because of the homestead. The team was painfully awful in the postseason and in the latter part of March and April. Same in the 2011-2012 year. Team improved in the same months. TBH if you look at the Nets slow start, PP and KG are a key reason to their slow start. Both PP and KG stats weren't great in the first half of last season. One could make an obvious connection that had they played better in the first portion of the season the record would have been better. But no one wants to go there I see.

« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2014, 11:15:26 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
When New Orleans had a gun to their head to trade CP3, they wouldn't trade him for Rondo.  They would trade him for Eric Gordon and they would trade for that other weird package that got overturned by Stern, but not for Rondo.   A trade offer of Rondo for Steph Curry way before Curry became what he is now was also rejected by GS.  I think that gives some perspective of where Rondo's value around the league lies.

The Gordon trade included an unprotected (IIRC) pick from a team that had been doormats the previous 3-4 years. It wasn't Rondo or Gordon straight up for Paul, and you don't know what the rest of the package Danny offered or NO wanted were. In any case, people base Rondo (and others) on rumors or opinions, and give those rumors more or less credibility based on their existing opinions. Case in point Courtney Lee. You could find tons of posts about his having negative trade value. Houston refused to take him in a trade, yet Memphis wants him. Which of those two proposed deals tells you more about Lee's value around the league? Don't they say opposite things about his value?   

Good point on the draft pick, that could have been a significant part of the deal.

I think you're far off on your Lee comparison though.  You're comparing two PG-PG swaps that were rejected to Houston who has the #1 SG in the NBA not wanting to acquire a very mediocre SG yet Memphis trading away a very mediocre PG for a mediocre SG which is a position they are thin at.  I still kind of get what you're trying to say, but my attempt wasn't to provide concrete evidence of rankings or anything, it was just to give "some perspective".
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2014, 11:16:52 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Oh boy.

The team did not improve after he was injured. Most likely had he been with the team, the record would have been the same because of the homestead. The team was painfully awful in the postseason and in the latter part of March and April. Same in the 2011-2012 year. Team improved in the same months. TBH if you look at the Nets slow start, PP and KG are a key reason to their slow start. Both PP and KG stats weren't great in the first half of last season. One could make an obvious connection that had they played better in the first portion of the season the record would have been better. But no one wants to go there I see.

Welcome to Delusion Land
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Oh boy.

I know what he said. I'm not sure if your statement shows much understanding of what the term uneven play means. If the team played great with Rondo and terrible without him that's uneven play. If the team played terrible with Rondo and great without him that's also uneven play. If the team showed no consistency throughout the year and swung back and forth between playing well and poorly (this was what happened, btw), it's still, you guessed it, uneven play.

If you think the team played consistently after Rondo was injured you weren't following the team too closely.

« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2014, 11:20:32 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
delusion in what? the team sucked in the postseason. The Knicks in the 2nd round showed how much the team sucked because the Knicks sucked badly in that round. Delusion is for those that thought the team improved. Compare last season to 2011-2012 season. Cant even bring a decent argument.

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2014, 11:22:15 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
delusion in what? the team sucked in the postseason. The Knicks in the 2nd round showed how much the team sucked because the Knicks sucked badly in that round. Delusion is for those that thought the team improved. Compare last season to 2011-2012 season. Cant even bring a decent argument.

I was agreeing with you...........
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2014, 11:24:56 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Oh boy.

Rondo isn't better than Curry.  Just not true.  He's a fine PG... statistically Rondo in his prime could be a Top 5 PG this year.  But there are a couple guys who outclass him right now.  17 other guys who are basically interchangeable with him.

I'd love to be able to get one of the 17 or 18 best, interchangeable centers to go with our interchangeable point guard.  I'll take Hibbert, Gasol, Pekovic, Noah, or Drummond, it doesn't matter which; centers like that are basically a dime a dozen anyway.

Marc Gasol is currently injured and well past his prime.  Maybe we could get him for an expiring contract and a draft pick.   
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White

I was agreeing with you...........

ooops, my bad. then my above post was an addendum to the post I had wrote to the quoted posted I was responding to if that make sense. If not, oh well.

« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
When New Orleans had a gun to their head to trade CP3, they wouldn't trade him for Rondo.  They would trade him for Eric Gordon and they would trade for that other weird package that got overturned by Stern, but not for Rondo.   A trade offer of Rondo for Steph Curry way before Curry became what he is now was also rejected by GS.  I think that gives some perspective of where Rondo's value around the league lies.

The Gordon trade included an unprotected (IIRC) pick from a team that had been doormats the previous 3-4 years. It wasn't Rondo or Gordon straight up for Paul, and you don't know what the rest of the package Danny offered or NO wanted were. In any case, people base Rondo (and others) on rumors or opinions, and give those rumors more or less credibility based on their existing opinions. Case in point Courtney Lee. You could find tons of posts about his having negative trade value. Houston refused to take him in a trade, yet Memphis wants him. Which of those two proposed deals tells you more about Lee's value around the league? Don't they say opposite things about his value?   

Good point on the draft pick, that could have been a significant part of the deal.

I think you're far off on your Lee comparison though.  You're comparing two PG-PG swaps that were rejected to Houston who has the #1 SG in the NBA not wanting to acquire a very mediocre SG yet Memphis trading away a very mediocre PG for a mediocre SG which is a position they are thin at.  I still kind of get what you're trying to say, but my attempt wasn't to provide concrete evidence of rankings or anything, it was just to give "some perspective".

Not a lot of perspective though. There are a lot of reasons trades are made or passed on beyond whether the respective franchises think one player's better than the other. You also don't have the full story on what Danny was offering and asking for in either trade you're mentioning. You also aren't talking about more recent rumors, such as the Rondo/Dwight Howard rumors from last year. What does that add to the perspective?

« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2014, 12:21:23 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Oh boy.

Rondo isn't better than Curry.  Just not true.  He's a fine PG... statistically Rondo in his prime could be a Top 5 PG this year.  But there are a couple guys who outclass him right now.  17 other guys who are basically interchangeable with him.

I'd love to be able to get one of the 17 or 18 best, interchangeable centers to go with our interchangeable point guard.  I'll take Hibbert, Gasol, Pekovic, Noah, or Drummond, it doesn't matter which; centers like that are basically a dime a dozen anyway.

Marc Gasol is currently injured and well past his prime.  Maybe we could get him for an expiring contract and a draft pick.
Valid point.  I read you loud and clear.  TP. 

I'm sending you a private message.

« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2014, 12:24:01 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I think this is really the crux of the discussion. Does the fact that there are (apparently) 17 other PGs with "similar" efficiency ratings mean that there are 17 players that are basically interchangeable with him? Are there skills that point guards rely on that aren't measured by that stat? Can those skills vary greatly from pg to pg and can they have much of an impact on the game?

From your list, 17 players are probably within 5 on efficiency rating from Rondo's from last year. If that's "interchangeable", does that apply to other positions too? Does that mean players like Dirk, Pau, Amare and Webber are interchangeable with Duncan because their career efficiencies are close to his? I'd guess that Popovich would take issue with that.

Also, just out of curiosity, why, in your scenario, would a player with an efficiency rating about 4 points higher than Rondo's outclass him, yet players with ratings 5 points lower than him be basically interchangeable with him?

« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

I think this is really the crux of the discussion. Does the fact that there are (apparently) 17 other PGs with "similar" efficiency ratings mean that there are 17 players that are basically interchangeable with him? Are there skills that point guards rely on that aren't measured by that stat? Can those skills vary greatly from pg to pg and can they have much of an impact on the game?

From your list, 17 players are probably within 5 on efficiency rating from Rondo's from last year. If that's "interchangeable", does that apply to other positions too? Does that mean players like Dirk, Pau, Amare and Webber are interchangeable with Duncan because their career efficiencies are close to his? I'd guess that Popovich would take issue with that.

Also, just out of curiosity, why, in your scenario, would a player with an efficiency rating about 4 points higher than Rondo's outclass him, yet players with ratings 5 points lower than him be basically interchangeable with him?
Tiers. 

I think Rondo is great.  I love the guy.  But I don't think he'd impact the game on the level of Stephen Curry right now.  That guy is an effective defender and completely carries his offense.  You could build a contender around Curry's efficient offense.  Dude is like Ray in his prime mixed with upper-level playmaking skills (nearly averaging 10 assists).  Rondo does a lot of things really well, but I don't think he could be the best player on a champion.

Also, earlier you mentioned how KG, Paul and ray were more efficient "because of Rondo".  That's like arguing that LeBron, Wade and Bosh are more efficient on Miami, "because of Chalmers".   Having talent on the court makes everyone more efficient.  Yeah, I agree that Rondo had a part in that.  But look at it like this ... years ago well before Steph Curry broke out into a franchise player, I argued that our team would be MORE efficient if we swapped Rondo for the sharp shooting Curry.  My thought process was that Rondo was a liability shooting the ball and that put extra pressure on Ray, KG and Pierce.  Rondo's passing benefitted them, but having someone out there who couldn't shoot also hurt them.  I figured if you stuck Curry (then shooting 45%/44%/90%) out there... it just would have made things even easier for KG, Pierce and Ray.  You'd now have two of the best shooters in the league spreading the floor.  You couldn't slack off them at all... Pierce would essentially never get double teamed.  It would make things even easier.   

Point is, Rondo may in-fact be the best passer in the league.  He's probably a significantly better passer than Kyrie Irving (currently #14 in EFF).   But Kyrie Irving is a significantly better shooter than Rondo.  If you swapped Rondo for Irving, it's possible we'd lose something and we'd gain something.  The way we played would change, but it wouldn't necessarily make us worse. 

Anyhow.  I backed you up.  If Rondo duplicated his stats last year, he'd be the 3rd best PG in the league this year.  I'd definitely take Rondo in his prime over the likes of Ty Lawson or Jrue Holiday.  But we don't really know how much "better" Denver would be with Rondo instead of Lawson. In theory it would be significant, right?   I think that's probably a question a lot of the league asks... and probably why Ainge has failed to find great return for Rondo in the years he was shopping him.

« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2014, 12:56:41 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The 9th pick gets us Gary Harris, who is an upgrade at the 2 and would allow us to let Bradley walk, which would also save us like $6 mil a year.  Any top 10 pick is good, although a top 7 is really really good and a top 3 pick is franchise changing.

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2014, 01:26:23 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Also, earlier you mentioned how KG, Paul and ray were more efficient "because of Rondo".  That's like arguing that LeBron, Wade and Bosh are more efficient on Miami, "because of Chalmers".

Hold on there. 

Mario Chalmers is a mediocre PG in almost every respect, and his only real above average skills are his ability to hit open threes and his ability to play solid defense.  He's basically Derek Fisher 2.0, but without the clutch.  The only reason he is the starting PG in Miami is because they are about a gazillion dollars over the salary cap (due to said big three) and they cannot afford an upgrade at the point- anybody they could get for the mini-midlevel exception would be more of a sideways step rather than an upgrade.  The guy is a chump and would be a backup PG on 70% of teams out there.  Miami sucks at only two positions, and PG happens to be one of them...hence he gets to start.

Rajon Rondo on the other hand is arguably the greatest playmaking PG in the entire league for the last 2-3 years running.  Aside from Chris Paul and Steven Nash there has not been a single PG in the league with the court vision, IQ and passing skills anywhere near that of Rondo since Jason Kidd and John Stockton were in their primes.  No, even in his prime Deron was never on that level.

I think it's pretty difficult to deny the intangible impact that Jason Kidd had on the teams he played on.  He was never a great scoring PG, but he could still score 10-14 points per night.  His ability to combine that with exceptional defense, the best rebounding from his position, and the best playmaking skills in the league all combined to make him without question the best PG of his era.  Not only that, but he is a guarantee for the Hall of Fame and will go down in history as one of the greatest PG's to ever play.

Guys like Richard Jefferson and Kenyon Martin practically owe their careers to Jason Kidd, since he made both of those guys look like they were twice as good offensively as they really were.

Ray Allen, Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett all signed with Boston as they had just reached the plateu of their careers, and after 2008 they all started a slow (but sure) decline.  Despite this, all three of those guys displayed career high scoring percentages while playing with Rondo:

1) In 2009-2010 Paul Pierce shot 47.2% from the field and 41.4% from three.  Both career highs.  In 2010-2010 he upped his FG% to 49.7%, which was a new career high.

2) In 2010-2011 Ray Allen shot 49.1% from the field and 44.4% from three.  Both career highs.  In 2012-2013 he shot 45.3% from three, which was a new career high.

3) Kevin Garnett shot over 52% from the field for four consecutive seasons after coming to Boston - 53.9% in 2007-2008, 53.1% in 2008-2009, 52.1% in 2009-2010 and 52.8% in 2010-2011.  Before coming to Boston he only shot over 52% one time (2005-2006) and his next best after that was 50.2% (2002-2003, 2004-2005). 

4) Since the big 3 era began Kendrick Perkins never shot below 54% from the field.  He shot 61.5% in 2007-2008, 57.7% in 2008-2009, 60.2% in 2009-2010 and 54.2% as a Celtic in 2010-2011.  Since being traded to OKC he has never shot above 50% from the field (his best was 49.3% as a member of the Thunder in 2010-2011). 

Despite the fact that Pierce, Ray and KG were all starting to decline when they came together in the 2007-2008 season, all three of thse guys (and Perk) all scored with career high efficiency while in Boston, playing alongside Rondo.

Yes, you can argue that in the early years some of those numbers (like KG's career high efficiency in 2007-2008) came before Rondo developed into the elite playmaker he is, and yes you could argue some of that had to do with the fact that three hall of famers (who were previously the best player on their team) had now combined and hence had two other hall of famers to distract defenders.  That doesn't explain how Perkin's shooting numbers dropped as soon as he moved to OKC, playing alongside guys like Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka and Harden. 

I've no doubts you can tweak those stas to tell you a different story if you want to, but I assure you those career high shooting percentages you saw from KG, Pierce, Ray and Perk while in Boston had a lot to do with Rondo's ability to constantly get them the ball in exactly the right place, at exactly the right time.  Pierce probably benefited least from this as he's good at creating his own shot.  Ray, Kevin and Kendrick however were all guys who without a doubt scored a LOT of points off Rajon Rondo assists.

I find it very hard to believe that those guys would have put up career high scorign efficiency numbers at that age if they had today's Mario Chalmers as their PG.  I imagine Pierce would have never shot over 46%, KG would have stayed up around 51% and Ray would have been down around 45%-45% at best.

Now, if somebody asks you whether Jason Kidd made his teammates better - would you say yes?  How about Steve Nash?  How about Chris Paul and John Stockton?  I think most people would agree that every one of those guys made everybody around them better.  Yes Paul, Nash and Stockton were also great shooters. Kidd was not.  Point Guards with elite playmaking ability are incredibly valuable in this league, and also incredibly rare.  Hell even all-star calibre big men are more common in the NBA then PG's with the playmaking ability of a Chris Paul or Rajon Rondo. 

If Rondo was a complete non-factor offensively (i.e. his offensive impact was on par with Gerald Wallace in his current state) then I would say yes, that offsets the valueof his passing skills.  That's not the case though, and Rondo has still been a double figure scorer every season since his sophomore year, and in that time has only ever once shot below 47.5% from the field.  If you can score at least 10 PPG and do so while shooting at least 47% from the field, as a pass-first PG, then you are not an offensive liability. 

« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 01:38:56 AM by crimson_stallion »