Author Topic: RIP Phil Everly  (Read 4406 times)

RIP Phil Everly
« on: January 04, 2014, 07:05:28 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I didn't see any rememberance thread for this early rock icon. 

I know many won't know him, but you've undoubtedly heard his music as one of the great Everly Brothers who sang beuatiful harmonic duets together beginning in the late 50's, with dozens of hits through the early-60's. 

Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel were among their many admirers, learning harmonies in part from studying the Everly Borthers.   

Some Everly Brothers hits you may recognize:  All I Have to do is Dream (Dream, Dream, Dream);  Bye-Bye Love; When Will I be Loved (remade a hit by Linda Ronstadt); Let it Be Me;  Wake Up Little Suzie.  Their crisp voices and blended harmonies were an incredible influence on early rock and on virtually every duo that came after them.  Brilliant.

Phil Everly was 74 and died after years of complications related to COPD (his brother Don still lives).

Re: RIP Phil Everly
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I never listened to them much (besides what I heard on the radio occasionally), but those are certainly iconic, instantly recognizable songs and voices.  RIP.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 414
Growing up in the 70's, my brother and I use to play those old records my parents had in the 50's and 60's and they had a lot of Everly Brothers records and use to play the heck out of them..thanks to Everly Brothers and RIP Phil
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 07:58:18 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
The start of harmonies?
Timeless music. 

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 07:59:24 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
I LOVE The Everly Bros....truly Under-Rated and often Over-Looked.

R.I.P. Phil Everly.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 08:56:34 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
I have told this story often...when I was a teen I was a huge fan of the Everly Brothers...played their "albums" non stop.  They were appearing at the Frolics night club in Salbury, Mass.  The other act was Tony Bennett (my Dad's favorite singer).   My folks decided to take me along with them (rules were easier to bend then, I guess) and drinking Shirley Temples, I swooned my first visit to a night club away.  I have always loved harmony. (In more ways than, but starting with, music.)  R. I. P. Phil Everly.  You brought me one of my favorite teenage memories.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 09:05:18 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have told this story often...when I was a teen I was a huge fan of the Everly Brothers...played their "albums" non stop.  They were appearing at the Frolics night club in Salbury, Mass.  The other act was Tony Bennett (my Dad's favorite singer).   My folks decided to take me along with them (rules were easier to bend then, I guess) and drinking Shirley Temples, I swooned my first visit to a night club away.  I have always loved harmony. (In more ways than, but starting with, music.)  R. I. P. Phil Everly.  You brought me one of my favorite teenage memories.

That's a nice memory!
Yup

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 09:20:22 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
That is a great story tb18.  I wish I could've caught them when they toured with Simon and Garfunkel in the early 00s.  Their harmonies were out of this world. They are one of those groups I never tire of listening to.

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 10:36:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I know many won't know him, but you've undoubtedly heard his music as one of the great Everly Brothers who sang beuatiful harmonic duets together beginning in the late 50's, with dozens of hits through the early-60's. 

Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel were among their many admirers, learning harmonies in part from studying the Everly Borthers.   

Some Everly Brothers hits you may recognize:  All I Have to do is Dream (Dream, Dream, Dream);  Bye-Bye Love; When Will I be Loved (remade a hit by Linda Ronstadt); Let it Be Me;  Wake Up Little Suzie.  Their crisp voices and blended harmonies were an incredible influence on early rock and on virtually every duo that came after them.  Brilliant.

Phil Everly was 74 and died after years of complications related to COPD (his brother Don still lives).
Didn't they also do You've Lost That Loving Feeling ?  That could be their greatest song.

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:50:24 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
That is a great story tb18.  I wish I could've caught them when they toured with Simon and Garfunkel in the early 00s.  Their harmonies were out of this world. They are one of those groups I never tire of listening to.
Ha ha!  Mine happened in the early 60's.  Before the Beatles!  ha ha
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 11:40:30 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379

Didn't they also do You've Lost That Loving Feeling ?  That could be their greatest song.

Righteous Brothers did "You've Lost That Loving Feeling"---and they weren't actual Brothers.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 01:26:45 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Ha ha!  Mine happened in the early 60's.  Before the Beatles!  ha ha

And in retrospect what a double bill that was.  Seeing an in his prime Tony Bennett (in a nightclub no less) would be a treat as well.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 07:07:05 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
Definitely was, freshinthehouse.  Tony Bennett became one of my favorites and the Everly Bros., in turn, became Dad's favorites.  (Seeing Tony Bennett, at any age, is a treat.)

Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 11:19:54 AM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Phil and Don Everly were the real deal.  Two of the founders of Rock and Roll.  RIP Phil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d1ig-dYuLk