Author Topic: Tankers Rejoice  (Read 26193 times)

Tankers Rejoice
« on: January 04, 2014, 03:48:09 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
I don't mean to gloat, but it feels good to see this basketball team losing some games. It is a necessary evil in this league if you want to have a better shot at building a winner.

Cheers to other tankers today. We will likely lose all 5 of these games of this West Coast swing.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 04:46:38 PM by JSD »
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Tankers Rejoice
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I must say I'm getting sick of the word "tanker." It's thrown around way too much on this site this year.

That said I'm fine with the Celtics not winning as long as they're trying as hard as they can. And I think that just about everyone on this team is doing that. I'm not looking for salvation in this highly overrated draft however.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Yesterday was a good night. The C's and Hawks both lost. Now the C's should lose their next 5 which would be great. We just need the Knicks and Nets to stop being so horrible. Good thing the Raptors are starting to run away with the division.

As far as the play of the team, i find this Celtics squad to be extremely boring to watch for some reason. The only guy who can get his own shot is Jordan Crawford. Everyone else has to be spoon fed. To me that equals boring basketball. Hopefully the C's can land in the top 5 in the lottery and draft a guy who can create his own shot.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If the season ended today, we'd miss the playoffs and have the 9th best odds in the draft.

We're 2 games out of a Top 5 pick right now.  If we hit a massive losing streak, we could be in the land of golden biscuits in no time.

Bad news is, the Bobcats are skidding... we're a mere half game out of the 8th seed (#15 pick).  Garbage Leastern Conference.

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 04:31:28 PM »

Offline McHales Pits

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 175
I'm still rooting for the Knicks to be terrible if I'm being honest. That is in addition to the Hawks as well. When the Cs play competitively and lose by 3 points it makes my day. Although I was intrigued with the idea of bringing in Josh Smith and keeping PP and KG, I have been in the "tanking" category since the offseason.

In regards to players not being able to create their own shots, that is because this roster was constructed around Rondo. He is the main shot creator for the team in his own unique way.
2013 CB Draft Champions*: Minnesota Timberwolves
DKC League: Washington Wizards

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2014, 04:35:19 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If the season ended today, we'd miss the playoffs and have the 9th best odds in the draft.

We're 2 games out of a Top 5 pick right now.  If we hit a massive losing streak, we could be in the land of golden biscuits in no time.

Bad news is, the Bobcats are skidding... we're a mere half game out of the 8th seed (#15 pick).  Garbage Leastern Conference.

Wouldn't it just be hilarious if this state of affairs continued and there was little to no separation?

One team wins the dubious honor of a 4 game sweep by the Heat or Pacers, where the contender contempuously sits all 5 starters to ensure the games have less than a 30 point margin of victory, while a team a half game worse potentially ends up with a franchise caliber player.

Good lord. You'd have to laugh, if you didn't, you'd cry. 

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 04:38:55 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I don't think it can be overstated how critical it is to the future of this franchise if we lose a few more games that we could have won in the next few months. With the competition in the east being so putrid, we are still within an inch of the playoffs, yet about an equal distance away from a top 3-5 pick in a draft where 5-6 players are projected as franchise cornerstones. Wether we use the pick ourselves or trade it, this is absolutely critical to the immediate future of the celtics. I'm all for players playing hard, but the coach and GM have to do what they need to do to get this team to be a legit contender soon, and a few close loses here and there will make the difference from getting the next superstar to lead the team to #18, 19, and 20, or another role player while we rack up the 1st round exits for the next 5-6 years. 

Is the draft overrated? Yes, most likely it is, but assuming it's at least an average draft, a 3-5 pick is always a good chance at a superstar, and if Ainge doesn't think that superstar is there at our pick, plenty of other GMs will trade a lot of value to get that pick.

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
TP's to all my tanking buddies. #brotherhood
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Overall, i'm enjoying this season. After all the games are played, i'm checking the standings, and checking the upcoming schedules for the teams with worse records than the C's. I'm rooting for the Wizards, Magic, Bobcats, Nets, Knicks, Cavs, Pistons, Kings, Jazz, Lakers (yes even the Lakers), Sixers, and Bucks to all pull upsets and win games. That doesn't happen too often, but it gives me a rooting interest in keeping up with all the final scores on a nightly basis.

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 04:58:31 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Wouldn't it just be hilarious if this state of affairs continued and there was little to no separation?

One team wins the dubious honor of a 4 game sweep by the Heat or Pacers, where the contender contempuously sits all 5 starters to ensure the games have less than a 30 point margin of victory, while a team a half game worse potentially ends up with a franchise caliber player.

I'm really hoping some trades shake up the conference.  Someone HAS to be a buyer.  The Raptors have gone and made themself respectable, at least.  The Nets are only 2 games out of the playoffs.  Bobcats entered this season in "win-now" mode, it would be nice to see them land a couple players that would ensure short-term success.  Cavs could theoretically improve if they traded Bynum for a position they need (the Richard Jefferson trade, for instance).  Maybe the Knicks make a play for Asik.  Stuff can change pretty rapidly. 

There's currently only 3 games separating Charlotte (8th seed/15th pick) and Orlando #3 pick.  That's sick.  That literally means that a 4 game win streak/4 game lose streak could dramatically shift the fortunes of a team.  There's only 5 games between Orlando and the 5th seed.  The entire conference from the 5th seed down is garbage.

The question is... how would you feel if Boston became a buyer?  With Rondo soon returning... there's some rationalization to Boston cashing in their chips and going after a playoff slot.  It certainly wouldn't be difficult to get a playoff slot this year... and there certainly seems to be talent available if you want it:  Asik ... possibly Afflalo and Melo... Several capable role players who don't fit on teams tanking.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 04:59:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I don't mean to gloat, but it feels good to see this basketball team losing some games. It is a necessary evil in this league if you want to have a better shot at building a winner.

Cheers to other tankers today. We will likely lose all 5 of these games of this West Coast swing.

For a while I was bummed about spending a long season watching people agonize over every 3-4 game winning or losing streak, swinging back and forth between gloating and hand-wringing. Now I'm just amused by the situation.

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 05:12:38 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I'm really hoping some trades shake up the conference.  Someone HAS to be a buyer.  The Raptors have gone and made themself respectable, at least.  The Nets are only 2 games out of the playoffs.  Bobcats entered this season in "win-now" mode, it would be nice to see them land a couple players that would ensure short-term success.  Cavs could theoretically improve if they traded Bynum for a position they need (the Richard Jefferson trade, for instance).  Maybe the Knicks make a play for Asik.  Stuff can change pretty rapidly. 

There's currently only 3 games separating Charlotte (8th seed/15th pick) and Orlando #3 pick.  That's sick.  That literally means that a 4 game win streak/4 game lose streak could dramatically shift the fortunes of a team.  There's only 5 games between Orlando and the 5th seed.  The entire conference from the 5th seed down is garbage.

The question is... how would you feel if Boston became a buyer?  With Rondo soon returning... there's some rationalization to Boston cashing in their chips and going after a playoff slot.  It certainly wouldn't be difficult to get a playoff slot this year... and there certainly seems to be talent available if you want it:  Asik ... possibly Afflalo and Melo... Several capable role players who don't fit on teams tanking.

The really awful thing is that if Boston acquired both Afflalo and Asik (easily doable, and probably doable without giving up too much in the way of picks), and Rondo does come back looking like 85% of himself, a Rondo-Afflalo-Green-Sully-Asik lineup is the 3rd best in the East, and by a good margin I'd wager.

EDIT: The reason why its awful is because while that's a good team..in a conference like the West, it's probably a strong 5 seed. A strong 5 seed relying on 4 role players and a star whose talent is most predicated upon making life easier for those around him. Its like a really good traditional supreme pizza, and Rondo is perfectly cooked crust.

But the problem with perfect pizza is that its not prime rib or lobster, and it never will be.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 05:17:04 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

The really awful thing is that if Boston acquired both Afflalo and Asik (easily doable, and probably doable without giving up much in the way of picks), and Rondo does come back looking like 85% of himself, a Rondo-Afflalo-Green-Sully-Asik lineup is the 3rd best in the East, and by a good margin I'd wager.

Ainge can say whatever he wants in interviews, but I find it hard to believe he has a buyer's mindset. I think the trade and the roster assembled to start this season regarding our PG situation and bigs speaks for itself.

Oh, and I thoroughly approve of it for the record.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 05:18:00 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
this season has become Very annoying to me...I'm getting anxious for SOMETHING to happen---Trade away our Vets and let KO and Vitor play---Stop playing Humphries, unless we are going to trade or re-sign him. NOT if we're letting his contract expire-makes ZERO sense. I hate feeling like these losses will lead to something good---it BETTER.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 05:23:54 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

The really awful thing is that if Boston acquired both Afflalo and Asik (easily doable, and probably doable without giving up too much in the way of picks), and Rondo does come back looking like 85% of himself, a Rondo-Afflalo-Green-Sully-Asik lineup is the 3rd best in the East, and by a good margin I'd wager.

EDIT: The reason why its awful is because while that's a good team..in a conference like the West, it's probably a strong 5 seed. A strong 5 seed relying on 4 role players and a star whose talent is most predicated upon making life easier for those around him. Its like a really good traditional supreme pizza, and Rondo is perfectly cooked crust.

But the problem with perfect pizza is that its not prime rib or lobster, and it never will be.

I'd put perfect pizza up against a lobbie any day. Ever had the clam pie at Pepe's in New Haven? If i had a choice of one last meal before heading for the big house, that might be it...
Mike

(My name is not Mike)