Author Topic: Tankers Rejoice  (Read 26085 times)

Re: Tankers Rejoice
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2014, 12:59:37 AM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Speaking of tanking... anyone rooting for the Bynum for Gasol trade?  Gasol would make the Cavs significantly better this year.  That'd be one less opponent in the tank race.

But likely hurt the Lakers who are right in the mix with us at the bottom....though if the Cavs can catch up to and pass Brooklyn and Atlanta I guess that would be positive....I thought that trade was dead anyways...

« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2014, 01:30:04 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Speaking of tanking... anyone rooting for the Bynum for Gasol trade?  Gasol would make the Cavs significantly better this year.  That'd be one less opponent in the tank race.

But likely hurt the Lakers who are right in the mix with us at the bottom....though if the Cavs can catch up to and pass Brooklyn and Atlanta I guess that would be positive....I thought that trade was dead anyways...
Outstanding point.  That would likely lead to a Kobe/Randle/LeBron threesome next year.  I'm no longer rooting for the trade.

« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2014, 01:31:40 AM »

Offline Spicoli

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Philly, Bobcats, Nets, Bulls all win! Hawks lose!

Great night for us tankers!!!!!

TP. The Hawks are dropping fast and i'm loving it.

« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2014, 01:32:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Outstanding point.  That would likely lead to a Kobe/Randle/LeBron threesome next year.  I'm no longer rooting for the trade.

Also it doesn't really help our draft position's biggest threat, IE that Boston somehow wins the Atlantic with the 8th worst record in the league.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2014, 01:40:59 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
You can land a good player at eight or you can land a good player at eighteen.  I think history has shown that the draft is nowhere near as exact a science as those rooting for ping pong balls would like it to be. 

If you go back and look at every draft from the last 30 years, this is true in the letter but not in implication, at least the implication I got from what you said.

True: You can land a player at pick 8 or pick 18
False: you have about as good a chance of landing a good player at 8 as you do at 18

There is actually a pretty big discrepancy between the odds of landing a good play at 8 compared with landing a good player at 18. That's a tangential argument, Id be pretty annoyed if we suffered through a rebuilding year and only got an 8th overall, but it's a commonly made, 'well player x was picked at 18, and that just proves there is still talent at 18', because while it's true, it doesn't acknowledge there is a much better chance of getting a dud there as well. The counterpoint to this is 'Kwame Brown was a first overall, how did that turn out?', and it's no less of a false equivalency.

I mean people always bring up Rondo and Big Al.  Technically Rondo wasn't even our draft pick... they were giving picks away for free that year.  We bought Rondo after the Suns drafted him.   

Pretty sure Boston has never drafted a superstar with a pick 15 and above.  They have drafted superstars in the Top 8, though.  ;)

You look over our list of guys taken 15 and over and you'll see names like Lucas Nogueira, Sullinger, Fab Melo, Marshon Brooks, Avery Bradley, JR Giddens, Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, Delonte West, Tony Allen, Troy Bell, Dahntay Jones, Joe Forte, Acie Earl.  Sure there's some good players and good role players there, but lots of garbage too.

Boston's picks in the top 8 since 1970:

Dave Cowens, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, Len Bias, Antoine Walker, Chauncey Billups, Ron Mercer, Randy Foye, Jeff Green

Sure there's some duds in there too, but I like our track record.  Hah.

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2014, 01:58:57 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
We bought Rondo after the Suns drafted him.   

That's not the correct story.  Ainge was desperately in love with Rondo.  When it looked like Rondo might slip into the 20s, Ainge got permission to buy a pick and worked out an agreement to give the Suns a future pick and take on Brian Grant's contract.  The deal was agreed to before Rondo was drafted, conditional on things such as Isaiah Thomas not taking him. (the Knicks went with Renaldo Balkman.)

Sure, Phoenix technically drafted Rondo, but Rondo probably wouldn't have been drafted if there hadn't been a deal with the Celtics in place before Rondo's name was called.  Even if the Suns submitted his name, Ainge chose Rondo and deserves all the credit for picking him.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2014, 05:47:02 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Yup, a lot of people seem to think we just shelled out some cash for that pick when that is just not the case.  We got that pick(and the last of Brian Grant's contract) in exchange for a future pick

« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2014, 08:28:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
TP's to all my tanking buddies. #brotherhood

lol the brotherhood.

I'm actually not a fan of deliberately throwing games but I am a fan of Danny building a young squad that, because of a lack of experience, game minutes and a new coach- will ultimately suck whilst improving.  8)
The great consequence of sucking would be a shot at the next NBA superstar or even an All Star.
Wouldn't it be great if our young guys could improve slowly whilst adding an elite level talent out of the draft to this young roster as part of the process?

I haven't looked at the full road trip schedule but I saw that OKC is on the second leg of a back to back.
I wonder how many will be back to backs?

I also worry that teams like Toronto and Detroit will meet very tough schedules towards the end of the season when we have a cake-walk. Our last 6 or 7 games are complete gimmes if I remember correctly.

I wonder just how hard teams will self-enforce a huge collapse by March/April.
God I hope we are one of the teams that decides to play only young guys come March.

I'm with you brother.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 08:42:04 AM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2014, 09:16:34 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Wow... "tankers rejoice"?  ;D
This reminded me of this thread on the RealGM Raptors board, Tank World Order. Hilarious.

The Eastern Conference is too Tank Powerful to predict, but I'd expect the Cs to have a 30-34 wins and be out of the Playoffs. A top 10 pick is our most probable reward in June for Danny's (unfinished) trade job. Rondo's return, combined with trades still to happen will keep the Cs on the .400 mark, more or less.

Hey, Tank brotherhood, the Celtics won't become the Bobcats in order to get a top 5 pick. Danny will trade players for basketball/financial reasons, not for the tank. He's set a talented yet unbalanced roster this season to get the tank job done while developing and maximizing players' value.

Bass and Lee won't be traded to lose more games, they'll be sent to teams that can use good role players to try to win. Celtics will ask for picks/young players/financial flexibility, but they don't need to trade anyone. Crawford, Humphries, Bogans... also could be on the move. We'll see. If they stay put, that's fine.

Yeah, we're tanking and here's the irrefutable evidence:

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2014, 09:23:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That tank poster makes the whole discussion worthwhile.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2014, 11:17:17 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Wow... "tankers rejoice"?  ;D
This reminded me of this thread on the RealGM Raptors board, Tank World Order. Hilarious.

The Eastern Conference is too Tank Powerful to predict, but I'd expect the Cs to have a 30-34 wins and be out of the Playoffs. A top 10 pick is our most probable reward in June for Danny's (unfinished) trade job. Rondo's return, combined with trades still to happen will keep the Cs on the .400 mark, more or less.

Hey, Tank brotherhood, the Celtics won't become the Bobcats in order to get a top 5 pick. Danny will trade players for basketball/financial reasons, not for the tank. He's set a talented yet unbalanced roster this season to get the tank job done while developing and maximizing players' value.

Bass and Lee won't be traded to lose more games, they'll be sent to teams that can use good role players to try to win. Celtics will ask for picks/young players/financial flexibility, but they don't need to trade anyone. Crawford, Humphries, Bogans... also could be on the move. We'll see. If they stay put, that's fine.

Yeah, we're tanking and here's the irrefutable evidence:

Love the poster .... :D.  TP

Tank On Dude !

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2014, 12:04:08 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Maybe Ainge isn't really enthralled with any of the alleged can't-miss guys in this draft, so doesn't care if the team makes the playoffs, and his long-term plan is to tank for the 2015 draft, where he sees a shot at drafting a franchise big man.

How would you feel if the Celtics sneak into the playoffs and take the #1 seed to seven games then follow that up with a 20-win season?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155

I would much rather the Celtics jump in there and offer Green, Lee and Bass for all of Cleveland's expiring contracts and then cut Bynum for instant cap relief. I would also like to see the Lakers remain in cap hell.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2014, 12:34:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
 game to tomorrow

It would be really really helpful for  "The Cause " for the

Nets to beat the Hawks ......please please please let the Nets win.   LoLa :)

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
game to tomorrow

It would be really really helpful for  "The Cause " for the

Nets to beat the Hawks ......please please please let the Nets win.   LoLa :)

I'd rather the Hawks win that one.  I think with Horford out, the Hawks will start to fall, and every time the Nets win I worry that they'll put it together.  I want both of those teams to somehow miss the playoffs.