Author Topic: Tankers Rejoice  (Read 26245 times)

Re: Tankers Rejoice
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 09:58:51 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I, along with the majority of "tankers", share the opinion of LarBrd33 on the defintion of tankers.

Tanking is done at the exuctive level, not by those on the front line. We want these Celtics to play their heart out and just not be good enough. That's Ainge's job.

« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I along with the majority of "tankers" share the opinion of LarBrd33. Tanking is done at the exuctive level, not those on the line. I want these Celtics to play their heart out and just not be good enough.

Meaning: Ainge should trade say, Bass, for a 2nd rounder just to get one of the few rotation worthy players off the roster in order to increase the chances of a bottom-6 finish?

That I do not agree with.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
"Anti-Tankers" want us to limp into the playoffs as a losing team (say 34 wins, for instance) only to get curb-stomped by Indiana, simply because they want to feel the rush of 4 or 5 playoff games.  They are either clinging to this delusion that a 34 win Celtic team can shock the world (like the 44 win 76er team who upset 1st seed Chicago in 2012 after Rose got injured.. then subsequently missed the playoffs the next two years) or they just really really really want to watch 4 playoff games NOW.  NOW NOW NOW.

You seem to be rankled that not everyone's rooting for losses, but you're missing the bulk of the argument. Rooting for wins or losses isn't the real issue in the tank debate. Pro tankers have been in favor of dismantling the team and making it as bad as possible with the expectation that we'll get the next LeBron in the draft. The other side doesn't hold that view. The team's going to play the way the team's going to play, and whether that results in a top 5 pick or a playoff berth is unknown. The real question is whether the team tries to add to it's core or blow it up.

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
I along with the majority of "tankers" share the opinion of LarBrd33. Tanking is done at the exuctive level, not those on the line. I want these Celtics to play their heart out and just not be good enough.

Meaning: Ainge should trade say, Bass, for a 2nd rounder just to get one of the few rotation worthy players off the roster in order to increase the chances of a bottom-6 finish?

Trading Bass for a 2nd rounder frees up an additional $6 M to use in free agency this upcoming summer.

I think having enough cap space to offer a max deal, along with improving the chances of landing a top pick, is a worthwhile goal and a good approach to building a contender in the near future. I make that trade all day long given our current situation.

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
Rejoice ...Rejoice ...

Jus...

Tank it to d limit ......tank it to d limit ......tank it to d limit

One mo time .... ;D

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2014, 10:16:20 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

Trading Bass for a 2nd rounder frees up an additional $6 M to use in free agency this upcoming summer.

I think having enough cap space to offer a max deal, along with improving the chances of landing a top pick, is a worthwhile goal and a good approach to building a contender in the near future. I make that trade all day long given our current situation.

Can't say I subscribe to this point of view. Free agency always means overspending (Ainge knows this, and has said as much).

And as numerous articles, including on the blog, have illustrated, if the Celtics are clearing the books to make a max offer to a free agent this summer, it's going to mean the roster is cleared of everyone except for Rondo, rookie year deals, and possibly (depending on the scenario) a resigned Bradley. And, it'll require moving some other contracts (Lee, Wallace) likely at the cost of one or two future first rounders.

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2014, 10:22:29 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Can't say I subscribe to this point of view. Free agency always means overspending (Ainge knows this, and has said as much).

And as numerous articles, including on the blog, have illustrated, if the Celtics are clearing the books to make a max offer to a free agent this summer, it's going to mean the roster is cleared of everyone except for Rondo, rookie year deals, and possibly (depending on the scenario) a resigned Bradley. And, it'll require moving some other contracts (Lee, Wallace) likely at the cost of one or two future first rounders.

I don't see how that's true looking at the numbers I'm looking at. Yes, Crawford and Bradley would likely have to be renounced, but if Lee and Bass are cleared off the books, we would have enough for 1 max deal, even with the incoming rookie scales.

Note: Maybe that's not something we look to do, but at least it would be an option this summer if we shed that salary. Perhaps there would be noone worthwhile to do it for. I'm all about the options, flexibility and losing games at this point.

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2014, 10:25:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
You conflate an anti-tanking stance with wanting to make the playoffs. That's your problem.

Your definition of "tanking" is not shared by all.
Yeah to be clear, I don't think the players or coach should throw games.  I think Danny already did the work for them.  I just can't honestly say that I'd be happy about making the playoffs with 34 wins.

Well said Larrybird ....this  is he short and long  of the situation ,   the team is what it is ,  part of DA plan to rebuild.......they can play hard , entertain the fans,   try as they might .......I think DA gauged the situation.......knowing he Celtics would run out fuel "wins"  and would wind up in favorable draft position .........maybe not the worst team......but is top ten pick .....

Hawks lost and Bulls win......dis is good news !

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2014, 10:26:16 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

Yeah... trading Bass for a 2nd rounder would be a heist.  That's almost like arguing we shouldn't trade Wallace, because he's a serviceable rotation player.  If you can get an expiring for Wallace, you do it whether your are tanking or not.

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2014, 10:27:03 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

Yeah... trading Bass for a 2nd rounder would be a heist.

Edit: Ok, a heist for us. I agree.

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2014, 10:29:19 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

What if it were Bass and Lee?
15 million for a veteran to come off your bench for the next 3 years is the luxury of contenders.  I'm pretty sure a 34 win team (whether playoff-bound or lotto bound) would be happy to rid themselves of Lee's contract.

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2014, 10:32:26 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
That's my point: you have to dump Bass and Lee for expirings, which will require at least one 1st round pick, more likely two, plus let Bradley walk (unless you're also able to dump Wallace, at the costs of additional picks).

Here's the list of FAs next year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9947573/nba-free-agents-2014-2015

The addition of which player on this list makes Rondo, Green, and the rookies (and either Wallace or Bradley) a championship contender?

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2014, 10:34:43 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

15 million for a veteran to come off your bench for the next 3 years is the luxury of contenders.  I'm pretty sure a 34 win team (whether playoff-bound or lotto bound) would be happy to rid themselves of Lee's contract.

No team GM in the NBA will give up an expiring for Lee.

Dumping Bass' salary doesn't move the needle on the prospects for next year's squad. $6 mil of cap space amounts to very little. You need at least twice that much to do anything of importance in the free agent market.

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2014, 10:35:49 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
That's my point: you have to dump Bass and Lee for expirings, which will require at least one 1st round pick, more likely two, plus let Bradley walk (unless you're also able to dump Wallace, at the costs of additional picks).

Here's the list of FAs next year:

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/9947573/nba-free-agents-2014-2015

The addition of which player on this list makes Rondo, Green, and the rookies (and either Wallace or Bradley) a championship contender?

I wouldn't argue that we should give up picks to dump anyone. We are bad enough to get a decent pick as is. But if the opportunity presents itself to shed one of these guys you do it.

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey

No team GM in the NBA will give up an expiring for Lee.

Dumping Bass' salary doesn't move the needle on the prospects for next year's squad. $6 mil of cap space amounts to nothing. You need at least twice that much to do anything of importance in the free agent market.

Then don't trade him.