Author Topic: I know it's a business, but......  (Read 4106 times)

I know it's a business, but......
« on: January 07, 2014, 12:54:14 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I can't help but feel for Courtney Lee. this guy is well liked and was a locker room leader, shooting a lot better since he spent time getting rid of that hitch and I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us with players being disgruntled.
In the beginning of the season I wanted Lee gone but after he adjusted his shot he really was looking like one of "the guys", like he belonged here and then "bang!!!" here comes the business end of it and he's yanked after he had made the trip with the team, I don't know, that's just cold to me. I most definetly would not want Ainge's job

On a different topic I truly believe MarShon brooks could be something special if he would just let it all hang out and stop reminding himself he's in the NBA. it seems when he plays for the Celtics he is afraid or I should say over cautious of making any mistakes.  it's like a pitcher in baseball that starts aiming the ball instead of just letting it fly and trusting his God given talents. I just hope that when he does decide to come out of his shell, he's still with the C's.  I believe it's just going to take the right guy to give him a good kick in the butt.   

Re: I know it's a business, but......
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:10 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I bet lee is ok with the trade. He agreed to the sign and trade to boston so that he could be part of the doc rivers, pierce, Garnett, rondo culture. Only rondo remains, and his future is uncertain. A playoff run is years away in boston.

Meanwhile he will get a defined bigger minute role as a 3 and D guy for Memphis. I expect Memphis to be a tough playoff team when gasol returns from injury.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:16 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Lee is good enough to be wanted by teams but not good enough to be a keeper for most teams.  Not the first time he's been traded and won't be last.  Good guy, like his game wish him luck.  He'll get a nice playoff bonus from Memphis at the least.
Brooks is a not ready for prime time player, see celtics trying to build his trade value and move him by d league stint
he can score at nba level (except volume shooter to get points) but isn't efficient, poor ball handler, horrible horrible defender and not that good a passer

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Seems like he really liked it here. But I learned not to get too attached to role players, Danny will trade all of them. Wish him the best of luck. He should be an important piece in Memphis.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2014, 01:34:02 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I liked Lee and always feel a little bad about players leaving or getting traded but if you are gonna start a thread for Lee about feeling bad and it being a business,  well he was on the team for 1.5 years so I don't think there's really too much to feel bad about particularly in this case

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I can't help but feel for Courtney Lee. this guy is well liked and was a locker room leader, shooting a lot better since he spent time getting rid of that hitch and I hope this doesn't come back to haunt us with players being disgruntled.
Given that Courtney Lee was the player that was disgruntled, I don't see how this will come back to haunt us.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
I liked Lee too, but like Ainge said,he was unhappy with his limited role here and that wasn't going to change once Rondo came back.

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2014, 01:53:37 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Lee will quickly get over it, better situation and he gets to jump on a playoff bound team.
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

On a different topic I truly believe MarShon brooks could be something special if he would just let it all hang out and stop reminding himself he's in the NBA. it seems when he plays for the Celtics he is afraid or I should say over cautious of making any mistakes.

I think the deal with Brooks is just that he's a player who wants to be like Kobe.  He wants to be the go-to scorer, yet he doesn't have the body or the skills to be that player in the NBA.  He's trying to do what the coaching staff wants him to do, I imagine -- be a useful role player.  But that's just not who he is.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Hard to feel sorry for Lee.  He's moving from a 'rebuilding' team to one that is bound for the playoffs and has a solid core.  He will have a defined role as a 3+D SG for that team.  I think it will benefit his future to move to a contender.  Good luck in Memphis, Lee, and thanks for your contributions in the short time you were a Celtic.

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 02:11:48 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
Better team, cheaper place to live. Memphis is a great city.  Dude is probably loving it.

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 02:24:21 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Given that Courtney Lee was the player that was disgruntled, I don't see how this will come back to haunt us.

Can't help but agree with this. If was one of "the guys", so to speak, then how come he couldn't crack more minutes in the rotation on a lottery bound team?

He shot the ball in an efficient manner for the team this year, and has always been one of those on the verge of being a little better than average but not quite there type of player. There's a reason he is on his 5th team in just his 6th year in the league.

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

Can't help but agree with this. If was one of "the guys", so to speak, then how come he couldn't crack more minutes in the rotation on a lottery bound team?

He shot the ball in an efficient manner for the team this year, and has always been one of those on the verge of being a little better than average but not quite there type of player. There's a reason he is on his 5th team in just his 6th year in the league.
hes perfect for a contender we weren't a legit one in his time here
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:54:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
In the beginning of the season I wanted Lee gone but after he adjusted his shot he really was looking like one of "the guys", like he belonged here and then "bang!!!" here comes the business end of it and he's yanked after he had made the trip with the team, I don't know, that's just cold to me. I most definetly would not want Ainge's job

For all we know he has good friends on Memphis and will be happier there, especially if he plays more.

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 03:48:20 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Good teaming with Tony Allen