Author Topic: The Worst, Oft-Repeated Misconceptions About Tankers  (Read 11714 times)

Re: The Worst, Oft-Repeated Misconceptions About Tankers
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

See, that's you doing the "tanker" thing by dictating the universal terms of fandom that we all must abide by. I don't hold with that.

In my book, anybody who honestly cares, is emotionally invested, in the big-picture fortunes of the Celtics is a "fan."  I think there's ample room for debate about what plans, strategies, and outcomes are best for the big-picture fortunes of the team.

As for the rest of what it means to be a "fan," I think everybody has the prerogative to define what that means for him or her.

If you think making the playoffs this year would be a good thing for the Celtics, that doesn't make you a bad fan, just like believing the opposite doesn't make me a bad fan.

It does mean, however, that we disagree.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I could care less if someone called me a tanker or not.  This is not the playground and I am a big boy. 

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I could care less if someone called me a tanker or not.  This is not the playground and I am a big boy.

I think most of us here have thick skins.  It's easy to have a thick skin on the Internet, interacting with anonymous people.

My concern is with the way that the lazy "label talk" undermines productive discussion.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain